Tuesday, June 11, 2024

over the hump


I think I turned a corner Sunday. I did not start the tomato sauce but I did get the biggest room in the house vacuumed…all good. Cleaned up after breakfast…all good. Drank lots of water, got up and moved around between episodes of GoT, picked up four more handfuls of sticks, did some yoga before bedtime…all good. I did still have some episodes but they were low key, infrequent, and ended fairly quickly.  


Monday was even better. I had one episode in the morning when I received a message from the neurosurgeon’s patient portal addressing a message I had sent two weeks ago when I was worried about whether or not my insurance would cover my appointment or any procedures by him, an issue I resolved that same week so I called their office and was reassured that all was well, they already had approval for my appointment next Monday. And then the afib stopped and I don’t think I had any other episodes besides maybe a blip or two all day.


And so I put myself to the test and cleaned the bathtub and the three walls that surround it. It was really horrible and really needed to be done and even after that vigorous activity, all was well. And I drove to El Campo for yoga class Monday night. The restriction on not lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds has passed and so I am back to my regular activity, which now that it’s summer does not include doing anything out in the yard for most of the day, basically an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.


So, a month or so ago, little moths started showing up in the house, more and more as the days went on. Could not figure out where the fuck they were coming from. Checked the pantry, nope. Could not think of any other possible source. Well, when I vacuumed the big room, my office/workplace in the house, I found the source. Right before the place that buys/sells/cracks pecans closed towards the end of February I took one last bucket of pecans from the box I withheld when I sold mine and had them cracked but I never shelled them. I was so over shelling pecans by that time so they have just been sitting under the small work table. When I bumped the bucket with the vacuum cleaner a flurry of little moths rose up. Damn. Carried it outside and dumped it under the bird feeder for the birds and squirrels. Later I saw a young squirrel very timidly approach the pile and finally pick one up and started eating. I still have a bunch of moths in the house but at least they’re a declining population now.


My grandson was here when I got back from yoga last night. He’s coming back this evening after he gets off work to fix our truck which has been dead since a pulley that has something to do with the power steering, I think, fell off. I’ll be glad to have my truck back so I can move all those piles of sticks over to the burn pile at one time instead of multiple trips with the garden cart. I gave him my canoe a couple of weeks ago finally putting the last nail in the coffin of my guide and river running days even though it’s been maybe two decades since I’ve been on the water. It’s been leaning against the side of the barn for most of that time and the thwarts rotted and one of the supports for the seats as well. He’s going to make a trade with a woodworker to replace all that in exchange for mechanic work. Once he gets the canoe back in shape I’m going to get him to take me out in it this fall on a nearby lake. 


Since Mikey has it now, this is a picture off the Old Town website of what my boat looked like new only mine had cane seats, not webbing.


I don’t know where all my river days pictures are. I found one folder with a few. This is on the Pecos River and that's me running a rapid. 



This one is hiking in Boquillas Canyon on the Rio Grande in Big Bend.



Marc and I on a different trip on the Pecos River.


Oh, those were the days.




13 comments:

  1. Well, you're back up to doing more than I do in a day! So glad to hear all of this. Hurray!
    I know you miss the rivers. I'm sure it's an ache in you. We thought those days would never end, didn't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you wasting your time depending on monthly salary when you can work staying at home just with your PC and mobile phone you can earn up to $4000 in within 3 days☛ TagSalary.Com

      Delete
  2. Such an outdoorswoman! I can't even imagine being up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great you're giving your canoe a new life, and you'll be able to enjoy it too! Maybe not quite like before, but still -- an outing on the lake will be worthwhile. Glad to hear your ticker is settling down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really LOVE the photos of "those were the days" ! We could have adventured together! Ahhh, maybe another lifetime, eh? Moths seem to be everywhere this year- so many folks are dealing with them, some for the first time. - We have scrubbed everywhere, yet there they are- stuck to the traps in bunches. the moth rap folks are making a good deal of cash these days. Which reminds me to order more sticky traps...Pleased to hear that the ablation is settling in . Doing what is intended to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are feeling better. You sure have lots more energy than me, Ellen! I'm always finding excuses to sit down and read. You are so busy but I'm sure it comforts you to know you can do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you are feeling better. Just be careful not to over do! I didn't learn to swim until I was 21. I am not a good swimmer. I might be able to get myself out of the water, but no-one else. I have a healthy fear of the water. All my kids can swim and ski adeptly. I would be the watcher in the boat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those river pictures! And I'm glad you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a mighty big canoe, handled by such a tiny person. Kudos. So happy it can be brought back to life. Aren't grandchildren the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent news and hurray for our bodies doing their job after all! What great pictures and what a sport to be involved in especially in these spectacular parts of the world you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that you back in the saddle - or perhaps I should say back on the water. You had great adventures back then. More to come I am sure. Just different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are progressing well. Great action shot of you in the rapids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so great to know that you're getting back in your usual routine, albeit with the limitations imposed by our heat and humidity. I'm glad you found the source of your moth invasion. Now, if only I could find out where the hordes of tiny black gnats are coming from, I'd be happy. I have noticed them outdoors, too, so I don't think they're drain or trash related. In any event, the old dish of vinegar and sugar water is doing its job.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.