Tuesday, June 18, 2024

butterfly, flowers, and the appointment


I took the kitchen scraps out to the compost pile last Sunday and there were about a dozen fritillaries feeding on the watermelon rinds dumped the day before. They all flew up and this little one landed on my finger. I didn’t have my camera/phone on me so I walked back to the house and back outside all the while this one stayed on my finger. It seemed reluctant to leave but flew away when I blew on it after I took the picture.


And my tomatoes are blooming. What’s up with that? They’re not supposed to bloom when it gets this hot. Guess I’ll wait and see if they set fruit.



Yesterday was the appointment with the neurosurgeon and while I was trying to stay calm on the drive in and while waiting and then again in the room, my blood pressure was high when she took it, was it always this high she asked, depends on my anxiety level. Don’t be anxious she said, changed cuffs and took it again, still high but lower. Then the NP came in and took my history and family history, asked about any sudden deaths in my family. Yes, my father died of a massive stroke after surviving one and my sister just this last November, ischemic stroke with brain bleed, looking for a genetic history of aneurysm I guess. She questioned the ischemic part of my sister’s diagnosis, that ischemic stroke didn’t cause brain bleeds and also my father’s saying that stroke didn’t cause sudden death. So there’s a big question mark there as neither were autopsied. The neurologist in the ER when my sister died said it was an ischemic stroke and while it wasn’t usual, it could be accompanied by brain bleed if the artery became weak and friable from the blockage. So who knows. I did look it up when I got home and found several reliable sources that said bleeding in the brain after an ischemic stroke could happen. Then she tested me finger to nose, following her fingers with my eyes not my head, how many fingers in my peripheral vision, that sort of thing. She answered most the questions I had written down to my satisfaction, a couple she deferred to asking the doctor.


The doctor came in and I liked him immediately, friendly and casual. He showed me a picture of the basilar artery in my brain and the bulge that was previously diagnosed as a fusiform aneurysm, I think from the MRI, which was gray and fuzzy. He pointed out the shape which seemed to have a point and that there was a very faint line coming off of it that could be a branching off to the right from the artery like the one on the other side branching off to the left which was still blurry but more visible. Then he showed me a picture of (not my brain) the arteries as seen from a cerebral angiogram which was black, sharp, and clear. He told me there was a 25% chance it was not an aneurysm and if it is, not necessarily the difficult to repair fusiform type, could be the bubble type, hard to determine from that image. I asked him if it was fusiform (meaning an oval shaped bulge in the artery, not a bubble off to one side) could it be repaired. He said yes and gave me two methods, one of which was cutting a piece out of my skull and performing brain surgery (I’ve forgotten what the other method was, maybe a stent) but it would have to be much bigger and dangerous before he would consider that. If it turns out it is the fusiform kind then controlling my blood pressure and regular imaging would be the treatment since it is high blood pressure that causes aneurysms to enlarge and blow. I suppose if it’s the bubble type that could still be the treatment plan, that or repair. I’ll know what I’m facing after the angiogram.


So the cerebral angiogram has been scheduled for July 9th. I’ll have to go in several days before to get bloodwork done and blood pressure taken, will have to be there for the procedure at 5:30 AM. I’ll be awake he said, given some sedative that will cause me to sleep if I relax into it, it’s a quick procedure, half hour max, shouldn’t feel a thing, maybe a little prick when they go into the artery in my groin. And it’s possible the electrophysiologist will do the Watchman procedure after the angiogram in which case I’ll be staying overnight in the hospital.


My double purple althea (rose of sharon).




15 comments:

  1. GEEZ, Ellen!!! Terrifying stuff.
    The cerebral angiogram will leave your groin area black and blue and it will look shocking- So says my friend who had that done! Don't you just love being put on hold especially when something so serious is ...holding?( cue mundane elevator hold music) In the meantime, do not listen to NPR or watch news clips- watch butterflies and flowers and breathe deep relaxing breaths, like you are on a beach on Maui! Stay cool! LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are good news! There are procedure options and also experienced people around in your part of the world. Both aspects are sooo important.
    If I had a butterfly on my finger, I would immediately thinks it's my mother checking me out. If you water these tomatoes like hell, morning and evening, you'll get a lovely summery tasty harvest. That is if Texas tomatoes are anything like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually sounds way less scary to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds more promising than before. You must be sick of procedures at this point. But it sounds a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good new information. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 37paddington: I can’t help but think so many people may be walking around with bubbles and bulges along blood lines and have no idea. At least you know and have a course of action. Stay calm and carry on. It helps to like the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good enough news. You were definitely chosen by that butterfly! And you've got a procedure which will give good answers, and possibly a fix if I read that right. So relieved for your sake. And keep working on lowering blood pressure when anxious. I used to do the same thing once I was in a doctor's office. Some relaxation techniques in the waiting room helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Rose of Sharon looks really good. My two are not even fully leafed out. It may be due to the cold, I don't know. Hopefully they won't die, I'm sick of digging up/cutting down trees. It's too bad they can't get good imaging without invading that artery. That would have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had a butterfly on my finger -- what a magical experience! With luck, all of your procedures will be as light and easy to deal with. It's good that you liked the doctor; that always makes a huge difference. Little by little, your situation is clarifying, and in some ways 'reads' as somewhat less threatening. It's too bad we can't wave magic wands and make these things resolve, but step by step isn't awful if someone -- like the doctors -- know what they're doing and know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A butterfly on your finger is a blessing, Ellen. I am sure it portends that all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a lot to take in, Ellen, but it doesn't sound urgent as they wouldn't have you waiting if it was. There are options that will help so that's good news. Deep breaths, more butterflies and flowers, and don't Google too much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can’t help but think that so many people may be walking around with bubbles and oval bulges along arteries and they have no idea. At least you know and now have a course of action. Stay calm and carry on. It's good you like the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't tomatoes like heat? I always thought they needed heat to bloom and set fruit. Those poor overheated butterflies are probably loving the sugary fluid in that watermelon!

    I'm glad you're getting an angiogram so you'll have a better idea what you're dealing with. Overall that sounds like a very encouraging doctor's appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay. This is not bad news. I'm glad they're going to do the angiogram to see exactly what's what. I'm also very glad you like the doctor.
    Now. Can I say that telling someone in a position like you were in to not be anxious is a huge waste of breath?
    What a lovely thing to have a butterfly feel that comfortable with you. I would feel so honored.
    Your Rose of Sharon always blooms before mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ditto with the high BP. Really high.They got me on arteriolar dilators but I'm still hypertension II. It doesn't help I eat like a teenager. Or that I have only the one kidney. I woke last night and started to read to sleep. A very tiny fly kept on landing on my hand or my book. It was too cute to kill so I was like, don't let me swallow or anything when I fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.