Thursday, June 6, 2024

all is well


We got to the Heart Rhythm Center on time, checked in, and waited for them to call me back which they did about a half hour or so after I got to the waiting area of the pre/post op floor where they hooked me up to every medical device known to man, did the
transesophageal echocardiography under twilight sleep and then rolled me into operating theater. We passed my doctor in the hall, I’ll be right there he said, do your best I told him and that was the last time I saw him. Once in the room filled with all sorts of imaging devices they plastered my back and sides with sensors, anesthesiologist asked it they were ready and that’s the last thing I remember.


Woke up in the pre/post op center from whence i had come. The procedure took four hours which is what the nurses said it would take before they whisked me off. My doctor had gone out to tell Marc that all went well, that there was no sign of afib now and they would be keeping me overnight because recovery would be long. After coming out of the anesthesia I had to lay flat on my back, no moving my head or legs but could move my arms, for 6 hours which would not be up until 10 PM. Sore throat and because I was laying flat my sinuses kept draining into my throat so was constantly trying to clear my throat. And they had an external catheterization device on me which as far as I could tell was a cup attached to a long tube that would suck the pee up and I really had to pee. Just relax the nurse said and let it happen. Yeah, just relax and counter decades of training not to wet the bed. Which btw I had done under the anesthesia I guess because when I woke up the bedding was wet under me. Anyway I finally coughed hard enough which put pressure on my bladder and released all the pee.


I guess everyone else in the pre/post op center went home until I was the only one left waiting for a bed upstairs. They finally got me upstairs about 8 and I still had two hours to go laying flat on my back. At 10 PM I was finally allowed to sit up and then I dozed off and on sitting up til about 3 when I lowered the bed and laid down again sleeping in spurts because...hospitals that want you to sleep and rest but wake you up regularly for vitals or blood or this or that. Wednesday morning was a constant stream of techs and nurses and advocates and NPs and assistants and they discharged me about 9:30 and Marc came and picked me up about 10:30 and we drove home in a hard blinding rain.


So Wednesday I did nothing but lay in the recliner snoozing off and on still recovering from the general anesthesia, nice sinus rhythm in the hospital and at home if a little rapid, about 70 bpm, until about 5 PM when I went into afib and it continued off and on, mostly on, til about 9:30 this morning (and still going in and out) and my emotions just sank. What the fuck, doctor said it was successful, why am I in afib, did it not work, am I going to have to do this again, I don’t want to go through this again. Went to bed last night thoroughly disappointed. Called the doctor’s office first thing, like 5 minutes after they opened and left a message for the nurse to call me back. 


So the nurse called back about an hour later. They should have explained this to me before they discharged me, she said, but it is common to continue to have afib episodes after the ablation because my heart is still inflamed from the procedure and is still healing. The areas they burned or froze, whichever, that stimulate the afib are still raw and it will take about two month for the heart to heal completely and for the scars to harden. Once the scars harden I should be free of the afib so in the meantime I stay on the drugs to help control the rhythm and they upped the dose of one and added another temporarily.


I feel good now, reassured that these episodes are normal, that they will lessen in frequency and eventually stop when all the healing is done.


Thank you all for all the white light, love, and good wishes sent my way. I’m sure it helped guide my doctor’s hand.



22 comments:

  1. Glad the nurse was able to reassure you about the healing afib. Too bad they didn't tell you that sooner so you wouldn't have worried.
    When I was in for afib, I had the external catheter that is shaped like a hotdog pad and it just vacuums up the pee whenever it feels moisture. I thought it was great!
    Glad you are home and resting, Ellen. Take it easy - watch movies, read, relax, rest... xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big release of breath, here. I am so glad to hear that things went as well as could be expected. I've been longing to hear this news. Please do as Ellen D. said and let that heart heal up. They darn well should have told you about the continuing a-fib. I can only imagine how despondent you were until you could get the explanation.
    All right, Lady. We're all still sending you our love. Believe it. I wouldn't hug you if I saw you but I surely would kiss the top of your head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear from you, that it went well! Now you can look forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been reading along; so glad to hear everything went well and you're now home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are going to be alright. I was worried that it didn't work when you said you started all over with the afib. I may have to go through the same thing soon. My cardiologist is talking about the same procedure for me and I'm worried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHEW! You are right, they do not tell you that AFIB will occur after the surgery- it did for Dennis for at least four weeks after and then, instantly ceased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart skipped a beat when I read that you had an afib moment after the surgery. That scared me, so I am relieved to know that all is okay and that it was common to have that happen after surgery. I think they need a simple post-op hand out for patients after the procedure to let them know what to expect. Please take care there and continue to heal and get well. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Home! So glad it's over and you're home!
    And I'm impressed you had it together enough to give us the play-by-play. And thank heaven for sensible nurses who tell us what's really going on.
    Healing wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm glad it went well & you're feeling ok now. I don't know if you remember during our epic move from Ohio to NC I had been up all night & was driving to the hotel where we were staying & it was pouring rain & I had to pee SO BAD, but my car's battery was weak & I was afraid if I stopped it wouldn't start again, so I finally just peed my pants. It was actually very hard to let go & do that. Oof. (Note: I may not have admitted that on my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy news. Happy day. Take it easy and get the old ticker properly healed up. Thanks for all the good news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Six to twelve weeks! Nothing that happens in the first six to twelve weeks is statistically significant. The literature I read calls it a blanking period. Glad you are home and can get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been thinking of you and am so glad to hear that you came through with flying colors. That waiting to feel 100% may be the hardest part. You have good reason to stay out of the summer heat and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So good read you did make it alive and in one piece and hopefully in much better health now! Maybe not go straight back to a headstand routine just now. Be well, Ellen!
    When I was due for back surgery in 2017, I had to get a kind of epidural for a nerve examination and to me, the injection felt like I was actually having a pee and of course I panicked until they reassured me that no, just nerves, literally. These medical guys are body engineers, really.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good news indeed. Soon you will be back to your old cantankerous, ornery self!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just wonderful. I think medical personnel who are so familiar with procedures and after-effects neglect telling patients about them precisely because they think all of it's common knowledge. In any event, you got the information you needed. Now you can relax, and wait for that day when you suddenly think, "Wait. What? It's been forever since I've experienced that afib business!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a big congrats for undergoing a big surgery and coming out of it with such a great attitude! I like your scientific/journalistic reporting. It was much the same for me...and I even got that banana shaped catheter slapped on my underside which absorbed a lot of urine. So sorry you had those moment of feeling it had failed the goal of no more AFib. And elated that it's a normal part of healing. Keep on doing little things and gradually you'll do some big one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds as though you have had a good outcome. Good news!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad that all went well. Keep on healing .

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so happy to hear this good report. Now rest and heal, the recliner is your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad it all went well! My spirits sank too when you mentioned your return to afib, so I'm glad to know that's hopefully just a temporary phase.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy that you are on the road to recovery. Take your time, rest and let others wait on you!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.