Friday, July 24, 2009

time with the girls

the little darlin’s

***

Lately, my granddaughters have been pointing out all the places I grow hair where girls don’t want it to grow.  They’re sweet like that.  I keep telling them that one day they’ll have hair there too.  Uh uh, they say to me.


***

My phone rang Thursday night.  It was my granddaughter Jade, eldest of the twins.  We had made plans, me and the three girls, to go to the re-sale shop and get them some more shorts that day but they went to day camp at the park instead so we, Best Beloved and I, left for the country house.  The conversation went like this:


“Granny,” Jade says “you were going to take us to get shorts today.”


“Yes, I was sweetie but y’all went to camp today.” I told her.  “I’ll be back in town on Saturday so we’ll do it then.”


“But why did you leave?” she asked.


“Well, honey,” I said “we live down here and we don’t have any work in the shop right now and no reason to be in the city.”


There’s a slight pause.  “Yes you do,” she says “your grandchildren.”


Ow.  Shot to the heart.


***



The reason I am going into the city on Saturday is to attend a baby shower for one of the cousins.  She is my daughter’s second cousin and they were born within weeks of each other.  My daughter is thrilled because now she will not be the only one of the many second cousins that has kids.  She called me this evening to tell me that she had just bought Lauren’s gift.  


“Oh, Mom,” she says to me “walking through the baby department made my stomach hurt.”


“Hurt like sick or hurt like ‘I want a baby’?” I asked.


“Hurt like I want a baby.  My hormones are kicking in.  All that stuff is so cute and soft and cuddly and babies smell so good.” she says.


I remember that feeling.  When my kids got to junior high, I remember missing my babies.  Her oldest is in junior high.


“Don’t worry” I told her, “it’ll pass.”

11 comments:

  1. Oh my. They do know how to pull your heart strings, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. My son asks me about why there is hair in places he doesn't have it. I tell him the same thing, he will have it there when he grows up, he replies that he won't either! Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- grandkids sure know the buttons to push. I had never felt broody until I met JP, and now it happens all the time. But I'm hitting my mid-30s, and it's unlikely kids are going to happen. Most of me is okay with that. If only I could opt out of the whole "hair in wrong places" thing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. I do remember telling my mum about some rogue hairs and hearing the same reply. All too true these days. Even my husband points them out. No loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the Little Darlins photo! Such characters!
    Can't wait for the day I, too, have grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet post! And your little darlins are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what grandchildren are for. Yours are adorable, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are bewitching! Mine don't play the guilt card on me.........their mom's do, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, powerful "little darlins" you have there. Smart, too - perhaps a bit too smart.

    They will grow hair where they don't want it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I wish I could take credit for them. I do take credit for their mom however.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grand kids are kind of 'cool goth' looking. Looks like fun. I'm still getting those pangs to have another child, maybe a girl this time. Hopefully, it will pass. If I'm very lucky, I will have some cute grand daughters like yours.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.