Thursday, July 2, 2009

chapel glass at JWUMC

view from inside the chapel


We finally got the glass installed this week for the new chapel at John Wesley United Methodist Church in Houston TX.  It took us about 4 1/2 months to complete the work.  Too long, should have taken less time but I had a devil of a time getting the design work done.  I was fairly exhausted from the previous 18 months of non-stop work of one kind or another and try as I might, I just could not get a good start on the art work.  I spent a long time drawing and erasing.  I did finally get the designs done and after that it was just nose to the grindstone.  I think the finished project came out well.  I am happy but most importantly, they are happy.


view from the hall


inside the chapel - right hand panels


inside the chapel - doors


inside the chapel - left hand panels


left hand panels from the hall


detail - leaves


detail - sunflowers


detail - dogwood flowers


detail - blue jay


detail - the fern I cursed myself for


detail - turtle

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That is gorgeous! Beautiful! Your hard work definitely paid off!!

    I love the turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning! Congratulations, Ellen.

    I browsed through your website yesterday and was totally amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work, so beautiful. It seems like the type of art where each time you see it, you find something new. I love how the illumination casts a different feeling to it, too, depending on where you're viewing it from. Much kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the details, especially bird and turtle - something so formal at first view opens up to being lively and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do amazing work! The time frame doesn't seem too long to me. All that detail takes time and patience. My hat is off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone. It was a very involved job. There were 6 birds in all, butterflies, a dragonfly, bees, a lizard, a snail, a toad, a bunny and a squirrel besides the turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brava, Ellen!

    What a fantastic addition to West U. I will definitely stop and see it next time I'm in Houston (and I'll be sure to contact you beforehand!)

    Truly, I love your work.

    Aside: Have you ever gone to Rothko Chapel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I am keeling over here in my desk chair! It's utterly beautiful! It looked amazing in your workshop, but is truly awe inspiring installed. I'll have to go see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool and unique! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.