Tuesday, July 21, 2009

a rare occurrence


Last night my Best Beloved went to the ball game with our friend Craig.  Since he and Craig tend to over-imbibe on their outings, Best Beloved decided to stay the night with the tunnel rat.


Last night I had the house to myself.  This almost NEVER happens.  I warned the grandkids off, closed and locked the door.  I opened a bottle of wine, had left-overs for dinner.  Settled down with my book, no TV.  Mostly I enjoyed the quiet, the solitude.  Being alone is an unusual experience for me because, although we are seldom in the same room after all these years together, there is always another warm body occupying the house.


It feels different.


When bedtime came, I had the whole bed to myself.  I sprawled across the big middle of our double bed, arms and legs akimbo.  No tugging for my fair share of the sheet this night.  No snoring to drill into my brain if I didn’t fall asleep before it started.  


Oh what a night!


Best Beloved returned mid-morning.  I’m glad he’s back.

10 comments:

  1. I have lived alone for many years now - well - I have roommates but I have my own inner sanctum: bedroom, bathroom, office, so I can spend as much time alone as I like.

    I often wonder, if I should ever get involved with a man again, would I need my own bedroom, not always of course but at least once or twice a week? I think I would, even if I married George Clooney, I think I would need that.

    Glad you caught a break. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WT travels often and I am often solitary. I enjoy the first few quiet evenings to myself, then the peace quickly turns to loneliness. Even when he's gone for two weeks at a time, I still sleep on my side of the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, it is nice to ramble around the house when it is deserted, not having to worry about disturbing another with lights in the night, or having the music too loud. Once in a while it is an okay thing, but when he's away I am always happy to see him return!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy for your luxurious evening. I find that it is difficult to sleep without my best buddy close by, but I do like a private bath and a quiet book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It funny - my husband is away working all the time, but I still sleep on one side of the bed rather than sprawling. I always think I should but somehow it doesn't feel right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have trouble sleeping without my hubby at home, but we love to get two double beds at hotels & sprawl when we travel. I NEVER get any time alone at home so I always imagine that I want to be by myself. On the rare occasion it happens I get bored with my own company within a few hours...

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless the starfish position. There's no pleasure quite like a double bed to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh...how enjoyable! Although, I admit like The Bug, I now have a hard time sleeping when my hub is not home...when did this happen !?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fine luxury.. occasionally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think those rare occasions that I am without him make me appreciate him all the more. I don't sleep as well when he isn't there. A night without the dogs might be nice........

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.