Monday, October 2, 2023

fall activities even though it still feels like summer


Many thanks to everyone for supporting me. And yes, we do have a 'manager/supervisor' person in charge but she wasn't there last week and I do wonder if this volunteer would have approached J with her pro-Trump BS and if so what J would have said to her but it's not likely to come to J's attention now. I'm not going to say anything (I have no idea how it was received by the other volunteers) and I hope that that behavior won't be repeated. The election is over a year away so I wonder what compelled her to go around getting support for him now.

So, the reason I think I should offer a simple apology, as in 'I want to apologize for jumping on you last week about the candy. It's really none of my business what you do' and leave it at that is because on the face of it, as far as anyone else knew, it was just about the candy (and the exchange happened in front of two or three of the guys I do work with which makes me really wish I'd kept my mouth shut) and as I mentioned in the post, several other volunteers had already helped themselves to a snack or two and I said nothing to them. Had I called out the others, well, then no apology to her specifically. But because of her previous behavior, I singled her out and I think that was wrong. I guess I'll see how I feel about it on Thursday.

All right, on to better topics.

Pecans!

Starting Friday when I found one mature clean pecan on the ground, in the last two days I have picked up what you see above. About a third were clean nuts, the rest still had their split green husks on but the nut popped out easily. They're early by about two weeks and the first low humidity front that comes through will have the green pods on the trees popping open and spitting out their contents. I haven't cracked any of them yet, giving them time to harden, but they all feel nice and heavy. Still picking up a handful a day of brown dried up undeveloped pods and have three full to the rim 5 gallon buckets full but I look up in the trees and they are loaded.

Winter garden. Saturday coming back from the farmer's market we stopped by the feed store and I got broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage plants and green bean and mustard greens seed. Sunday morning I got the rest of the nut grass out, added in the soil improvement (something called landscaper's mix) and fertilizer and compost, got it all turned in and was ready to plant.

Sunday evening after it had cooled off a bit I got all the little plants in and some of the green bean seed (to the right of the plants and I'll poke more in the ground in two weeks) and set the tomato cage for the peas to grow on 

but didn't get them planted yet. Since the peas were for last year I decided to soak them overnight and then plant them in starter pots before putting them in the ground. They plumped up nicely from the small hard shriveled up things they were yesterday.

And now they are nestled in dirt.

We got two rain showers last week amounting to about an inch overall but it definitely perked up the rock roses, society garlic, and these purple things growing in the bottom of the ditch.



 

28 comments:

  1. Lovely flowers and a great winter garden is happening. I like your decision about the candy lady, very thoughtful and calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully. still need to get seeds in for other things but it's been raining so now it's too wet outside.

      Delete
  2. Pecans, yay. Nice winter garden going there. And, I wouldn't apologize. But you should do what is right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see your garden plans for winter, a time when we can do very little in our climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get back into growing food. it's a good skill to have in uncertainty.

      Delete
  4. Well, maybe she will be a little chastened now that her tubby hero is languishing in a New York court awaiting the dissolution of his ill-gotten empire. In the meantime she can perhaps stuff her mouth with pecans to remain quiet, or even a stolen chocolate bar would do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not seen one entirely whole pecan this year. The squirrels leave us nothing. My plant app said that's wild petunia but it's a little tricky identifying off a picture online.
    Your garden is going to be so beautiful!
    Will the beans survive the winter? I've never planted them until spring.
    I would tend to say that the other volunteer was campaigning for DT so early because she's an asshole but that's just my opinion. Yes. Apologize if it will smooth things over. And if you feel you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these are the first pecans in three years. I don't think that's wild petunia. the flowers are so much the same as to be identical but I have some of the wild ones and they grow tall and I have the small katie ruellia but the ones in the ditch have different foliage. someone identified it for me once, Carolina something, but I don't remember exactly.

      so I got a call from Jan this morning about 'the fight' last week that involved some cursing (I did not and I am usually not restrained from using profanity) and didn't hear her (who generally has no problem using fuck, shit, damn when she talks) either but it might have been after I walked away) so it did trickle back to her. apparently more than one person reported it but I don't know who. She wanted to hear my version and was going to call the other woman as well but hadn't talked to her yet. I told her basically what I wrote in the 'confession' post, I was very honest with her about what I said (and what really provoked me) and what the other volunteer said (and that I had walked away from the conversation and didn't engage when she followed me back), and took responsibility for my part and that I should have kept my big mouth shut (Jan reiterated politics and religion are off limits topics and that we are allowed to take a snack if we want but not to just go help ourselves to the meat, etc.) Jan didn't seem upset or angry with me, told me I was a hard worker and they appreciated me and when I told her I had no problem offering an apology to the other woman that for me to do what my heart told me to do, whether that was to apologize or not. I think she was dreading calling the other volunteer, remarked that she was rather volatile. I laughed. that's one way to put it.

      Delete
  6. It just looks so lush and green there. Happy sigh from afar...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely garden for winter...hope the peas come through for you! Winter greens are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that we're finally getting some rain everything is perking up. still have to get other seeds in but now it's too wet.

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks great! I bet you were so happy to have all of that work done and stand back to see your great results. That is always such a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely a lot of work getting the ground ready. it's a good thing I like to dig.

      Delete
  9. So many pecans! You are so lucky to have them. I wish one would grow in my little backyard. You have a great garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, the ones in the buckets are the ones the trees failed to develop and dropped but I expect to get a good crop considering all the green ones still on the trees. some of the husks are starting to split.

      Delete
  10. While I don’t think you owed her an apology, I salute you for giving her one.. it never hurts, and it just says to everyone that you’re a decent human being!
    -Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't done it yet. won't see her til Thursday. we'll see how nice I'm feeling then.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad your pecan crop is coming through!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just me, still trying to figure this crazy system out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've got it. I used Chrome this time. Google apparently has a beef with the Firefox browser. It's not you -- it's them.

      Delete
    2. I tried Firefox for awhile but it was too problematic. I don't know what google's problem is. lot's of people are having to comment as anonymous and not just on my blog.

      Delete
  13. You are so industrious and I am so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have been commenting on others blogs that my comments seem to work when I use Duck Duck Go as my browser.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss getting boxes of already shelled pecans from my Daddy! I envy you having trees. I remember one year when all my peaches feel from the tree before ripening. Well, it looked like all of them, but it was nature's way of lightening the crop and leaving the best to ripen on the tree. Of course, nature seems to be pissed at us currently! No apology!!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.