Monday, October 16, 2023

rose rustling, eclipse, addressing the shop, and folk art


Friday evening my brother arrived for a week's visit. He lives in the PNW in Washington state across the river from Portland. He stays with our sister who lives across the street from me because I don't have a guest room any longer.

Saturday was the last EarthLab speaker for the year at Hesed House in the red house. A woman from the Rose Rustlers came and spoke about the organization. They started out by going around to old cemeteries and abandoned homesteads and taking cuttings of the old antique roses that thrived even with total neglect and have brought some of them back into commercial availability by propagating them and then she talked about how to do that. She was through with her talk but still answering questions when I left to go out and check out the eclipse over at the welcome center (the white house) where a group was standing out with the dark eclipse glasses. Pretty cool. We didn't get totality of the ring of fire but pretty nearly. As soon as I walked out of the red house I could tell it was going on. Didn't get dark by any means but there was just a different quality to the light and air. Meanwhile back at home Marc took this picture of the multiple images as the light filtered through the yew tree onto the deck.

After I got home I finally went over to the shop and opened up all the bay doors and the door to the studio with the goal of cleaning up the studio and putting way all the packing material and in general getting it ready for work and beginning to reorder and clean out the big bays. We've been retired from the etched and carved glass for 6 years now and it is time to get rid of all the materials and supplies used in the production of same. I cleaned off one of the metal shelving units in the big bay and dragged it into the last small room that has yet to be built out from when it was torn out to the metal walls after the flood 6 years ago and has boxes of stuff covering the floor and stacked up full of stuff from the back room and stored over there for 6 years like all those small bowl reproduction molds and other miscellaneous molds and waxes, games and puzzles and craft items, books and cast glass experiments, open house display stuff, just stuff too numerous to name. So I flattened the boxes and organized packing material that was taking up floor space in the studio and put it all on that. When I was done the studio looked like this (of course there's no before picture because...me).

Sunday we, my sister and brother and I, did a day trip into Houston to go to the Orange Show and the Mosaic Park. I hadn't been to the Orange Show since the kids were little and it looked basically the same except for 40 or so years of decay.

The Orange Show is a folk art construction that was built by Jeff McKissack on a vacant lot across the street from his house. It is constructed almost entirely of found and scavenged items he collected throughout his life. He initially had a nursery on the lot for 10 years and in 1968 began building the Orange Show in earnest and ending in 1979. In his words the purpose was to encourage people to eat oranges, drink oranges, and be highly amused.

Without further ado or information (you can go to their website for that), here are some pictures.

Next: Smither Park (the mosaic park). 



12 comments:

  1. Love the eclipse picture (so similar to the one Shoreacres posted on her blog). We were outside the viewing area darn it. The shop looks very neat now, so good job! And the Orange Show looks like small town americana at its best - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I long to get back to my She Shed and do some organizing. Today is bad enough to take the meclizine. I have supper prepared and it just needs to be warmed, but that will be it for today. The clutter around me is making me a little insane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of the eclipse view that Mark took is truly grand. I love it. Looks like you had a lovely time with your family visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Marc's eclipse picture is pretty neat. I'm very impressed with your organized studio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very cool picture of the eclipse coming through the leaves. We saw exactly nothing here. That's the North West for you. Love the shop, very tidy and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shot of the eclipse coming through the leaves is quite exceptional. It’s one thing to be in the right place at the right time, quite another to capture the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job getting the studio organized! That "Orange Show" is quite an installation. Wonder why he was so gung-ho on oranges? Did he own a grove?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have decided that solar eclipses arouse my primitive monkey fears. I do not like them. The light should not be messing around with us like that!
    Yeah, I'm odd.
    Great job on the studio, Ellen! I know that feels good.
    Orange world looks...interesting. Sounds like something that should be in Florida.
    And I do love the heirloom rose salvaging. That is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I will be in the Houston area this weekend but I don't think we will make it to the Orange Show.
    There are my grandson's soccer game and hockey game and birthday party to keep us busy. I hear the weather will be nice so I'm glad about that.
    Good job on the eclipse photo and the nice workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That image from the solar eclipse on your porch is quite amazing! Also your tidy studio, excellent job. You are welcome to sort out our basement craft room anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another blogger posted that multiple eclipse in a shadow of a tree and I truly like that. Never seen it! I guess recycling at the Orange Show is good and I do like how neat your studio is...time to get going on more art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally! I've found the solution. I discovered that I can get into all my blogspot sites by using Chrome. I have them all on my home page now, so all I have to do is click your site, and here I am. Phew! I visited the Orange Show long, long ago -- in the 1970s, when I first moved to Houston. It was sort-of-interesting, but I've never gone back. Your photos are enough of a visit for me! My favorite was the beer can house, which also still is around. I noticed on their site that it's a 'no carry' place. That made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.