Tuesday, October 31, 2023

one extreme to another


Sunday's sky about 5 PM before the front moved through.


Too hot to work over at the shop Sunday with a high of 90˚. Just going over there and putting some foam insulating noodle on the new water pipe had me sweating and I am sick of sweating. It's been a long horrid summer. I didn't go over there yesterday because it was too damn cold, 48˚ Monday morning with a brisk wind and only got a degree or two warmer. Really? Can't we just have a spate of days in the 60s and 70s? Is that too much to ask?

Instead of me working over at the shop Sunday we watched two more episodes of Amazon Prime's 'Outer Range' about two ranchers, the Abbotts and the Tillersons in the outback of modern day Wyoming fighting over who owns the Abbott's west pasture just as Royal Abbott discovers a big void in the ground there and a mysterious young woman approaches him and his sons for permission to camp on their land for awhile. Things start falling apart pretty quick after that when one of Royal's sons accidentally kills one of Tillerson's sons in a drunken brawl and we're only three episodes in. Kind of a sci-fi in a western setting with two feuding ranchers. All mysterious and intriguing at this point.

Monday I pretty much cocooned on the couch, making only one foray out to the library to pick up a book I ordered through the interlibrary loan system. Texted Abby that I was going to weenie out of yoga class that night. She texted back she thought it would be too cold for me and then 30 minutes later she canceled the class altogether.

Today is just as cold though not as windy but it's supposed to warm up some late afternoon. Still, this is the grocery shop day so I'll be out in it. I haven't brought any of the tender plants in yet, neither to the house nor garage, even though it's supposed to drop to mid 30s tonight because when this little cold blast is gone we're going back to temps in the 70s and 80s. I figure they can tolerate one or two cold nights but I have to admit that one of the plumerias in front looks pretty ragged. One thing that wind on Monday did was knock down a lot of pecans. I went out briefly today and picked up half a gallon bucket's worth in a pretty small area.

My turn to fix dinner and stew is on the menu. 



10 comments:

  1. Stew sounds good. We've been having warm/hot temperatures but it is supposed to get cooler in a day or so. No rain in the forecast at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the cold front came through here night before last. Thirty when I got up this morning and a high of forty. Going to be mighty cold for the little beggars out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard for me to get through my head that 48 degrees F is considered cold. We keep our house at 19 degrees C and are perfectly comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't brought most of our tender plants in, either. But we haven't hit the 30s yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure didn't work on Monday, and even yesterday I dallied so long it was 3 p.m. before I felt like giving it a try. I decided against it until today. On the other hand, I managed a number of home tasks that needed doing: repotting a plant that was losing dirt through a broken plastic pot, cleaning the patio, turning the mattress (what a chore that is!) and making a big pot of chili. And, first thing Monday morning, I took my car to the local body shop to have its rear fender repaired. A fellow managed to run into me at a stoplight, but the damage was minimal, he was nice, and his insurance company (USAA) has been phenomenal. I have a rental to use, but I'll be glad to get Princess back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had weird weather yesterday for the trick or treaters - snow, then sunny, then snow again, then sunny - on and off for several hours. High in the low 40s today but the sun is out so that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best when one person is working is to have the most correct temperature. If It is possible. Not hot, and not cold. But there are moments with no options.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was pretty annoyed that it was in the 30s this morning. I mean, I was sweating in my costume on Saturday (84 degrees) and today I'm running the space heater in my office. Humph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've spent time in the garage loading the car and the trailer and it has been COLD. Tomorrow we'll be leaving during day one of 6 or 7 days of rain. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those clouds look lovely. Must have a look at the 'Outer Range'

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.