Friday, August 22, 2014

a peek turned into demolition and a selfie


The grandboy is here for the second half of his week but he brought a friend with him which means we don't see much of him. Just provide food.

Now that we are moved, the summer visits are coming to an end, and my vacation is done, we are turning our attention to the new shop. The new sandblasting hut has been bought and erected. We're on the waiting list for the electrician to come out and look us over. In the meantime, Marc is trying to see if he can get the air compressor plugged in. It was wired directly into a box at the old shop.


I cut back some of the wild stuff that has taken over the front fence during the summer, working around the gate and pulling iron weed out of the cedar tree. It's also got poison ivy growing up it so I have to figure out how I'm going to deal with that.

Yesterday I decided to pull off one of the pieces of paneling to see what was underneath it. Underneath it was plywood and behind that was really old funky insulation. Also all the wood was thoroughly termite eaten. It was pretty nasty.



I didn't see any live bugs so I don't know if the damage is old damage or current. At any rate, it all has to come out and be replaced. Even the framing was all eaten. Note to self...call an exterminator for an evaluation.

We've been trying to figure out how to use the rooms but now with this state of affairs, we've decided to take out both dividing walls and make it one large space. We want to replace the remaining paneling with sheetrock and we may add walls or partial walls later but for now we think one indoor space is better than chopped up into three little rooms.

Today I continued with the tear down.







10 comments:

  1. oh, dear! messy, messy, messy! but probably better than tacking that poison ivy. even dead, that stuff gets me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman, you work WAY too hard! And I love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gad to see that you are not all commando, sensible enough to wear a mask and a hat!My first words were "hire it out".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I could get into some tearing down. Sounds VERY satisfying. For about five minutes anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes. That insulation looks pretty awful. Definitely call that exterminator!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The termites can be bad and expensive to get rid of. Here one has to have the building inspected. I had one home that if I put wooden stakes in my garden they would be eaten by the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Admire your tenacity and observation. Moving always means surprises, doesn't it. As long as the budget holds, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks daunting to me. But not you. You appear ready to contend with the chaos. Can't wait to see when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.