Friday, February 20, 2009

2. down the rabbit hole

The day I wandered into David’s studio I had no idea that my life was about to take on a direction, a direction that has lasted 34 years and counting.  I was recently divorced, no job and back living with my parents while searching for meaning in bars and beds.  


That particular day, I dropped in to visit and found David sandblasting a crudely stenciled rose masked off with masking tape onto a piece of glass.  I was instantly intrigued.  Show me how to do that, I told him.  And he did.  Thus began my life as a glass artist.  People often ask me how I chose glass as an artistic medium.  Having spent many years trying to paint, working with textiles, drawing, exploring ceramics and sculpture, that one instant in David’s studio sparked in me the way no other medium had.  Glass had chosen me.  


I remember thinking that day that I could make a living at this.  A true enough statement, however simplistic and naive it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.