Monday, August 12, 2024

more work on the tree debris and the painting


This surprised me yesterday when I went out to water the plants in pots. It didn’t bloom at all last year.


I finally got out there Saturday morning cutting more tree branches and hauling my three loads to the street. And again Sunday only by the time I had three piles, I was done. Figured I’d get them to the street later. I’ve been working on the pecan tree closest to the house, the one that has four major limbs broken at the top and hanging down, either not completely detached or just not fallen yet. I’ve been cutting away everything 4” in diameter or less that I can easily reach that are not weight bearing, basically what was the leafy canopy. I don’t want to cut away anything that might shift the weight and bring the limb down on me. I’ve not quite finished this tree, one more day I think, and have barely touched the other pecan tree by the barn that’s in the same condition.


Well, those three piles will not be getting hauled to the street because the county showed up early this morning and picked up everything that I already had out there. The guy working the scooper was amazing. He had a very light touch, picking up the smallest stuff without disturbing the grass or dirt. Everything else from here on will have to go on the burn pile.


I’ve worked on my painting Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I’ve got the fallen tree in, though I want to add another small branch, and most the shadow/reflection of same in the water. I still need to work on the water adding in some reflections and finally some small twiggy stuff in the foreground and on the left.



The only other thing going on here is streaming. We finished watching the first season of FallOut on Amazon which we liked. It’s been renewed for a season 2 but it’s not projected to be available until early 2026. Then we started watching Good Omens, a fantasy comedy also on Amazon, about an angel and a demon who have become fond of life on earth and team up to try and prevent the looming Armageddon, based on the book by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett of the same name. How can it not be good? I’m enjoying it immensely.


Today no work will get done on the hurricane damage or on the painting as I’m accompanying my friend undergoing chemo to her doctor’s appointment to try and find out why her platelets are so low that she has not been able to get her chemo treatments for the last two weeks. It’s a two hour drive there and a two hour drive back from Galveston which is where she is being treated.




12 comments:

  1. I guess it's no more work to the burn pile than to the curb. But what a lot of work. Lovely Bird of Paradise. Glad it bloomed this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Omens was quite entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book by Pratchett, and the first season on Good Omens, but then it seemed really based on Biblical stories and I lost interest (probably because I didn't have enough Bible study to understand the references.) I'll look for FallOut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed that there are no more hurricanes in your area this year. As for your painting, you have my vote for terrific. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the book Good Omens (especially because I listened to the audiobook & I think Neil Gaiman read it). You're a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pecan branches are our lives and destiny, Ellen!
    Isn't it a joy to watch someone operate heavy machinery that is truly an artist? Same with chain saw operators.
    Your painting is coming along. It's so interesting to watch the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at UTMB for chemo yesterday; happily for me it’s just a three to five minute drive to Garage 2 on Harborside. I hope your friend learns something good and useful, and that you’re able to enjoy a little of your time on the island. There’s filming today for Yellowstone, but that shouldn’t impede you, just a few blocks of Seawall around the Galvez. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got through Fallout fast! What's your eventual plan for the pecan branches? You'll have to have a pro remove them, I imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you have sure gotten a lot of your energy back, Ellen! That's a lot of work!
    I love your painting and think it is coming along just great.
    I don't have Amazon Prime. Do you recommend any series on Netflix? I liked Stranger Things, and Sweet Tooth, and Derry Girls... Have you tried any of those?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've noticed brush and limb piles disappearing around here, and finally saw a fleet of the trucks at work yesterday. The photo of your pile being lifted up and away reminded me of watching the crane operators pull submerged boats out of the water after Ike. It was like watching microsurgery being done with heavy equipment. It was utterly fascinating. I was lucky enough to have an undamaged boat to work on, so I had a front seat for the operation, and got some great photos.

    The Walgreens nearest me has a half-dozen bird of paradise plants in front, and I noticed this week that two of them are blooming. It's funny how the same species in different locations can seem to be in sync.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your watercolor is very striking. It's interesting how layers build up and then become something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a wonderful artist. You capture the natural world in a way that looks almost effortless, your brush strokes are so sure. I love following your creative process.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.