Monday, August 5, 2024

cutting and stacking, watching, painting


I spend an hour or an hour and a half every day cutting and carting broken branches to the street. About four mounded very high cart loads a day. Saturday my four cart loads were the branches scattered on the back half of the big backyard behind the destroyed pecan trees as Marc was mowing back there. Yesterday I only did three, being Sunday and all thought I would give myself a break, working on the smaller end branches of the huge limbs hanging down. The task seems endless. 


After I came in Saturday and cooled off sitting directly under the ceiling fan on high, I worked on my painting putting in the foliage in the distance on the far side of the lake. It’s a little dark I think and I may lift some of the pigment later. We’ll see. Plus I need to fudge the horizon line of the lake so it’s not such a straight hard line but I’ll do that after I do the wash of the blue sky reflecting on the lake which is next. I smoothed out the sky a bit by using a wet brush over the blue of the sky moving from left to right and I like it better.


9” x 6”


Saturday afternoon and early evening we binge watched Outer Range. We had already seen the first episode of the second season and we watched all but the last episode. Unfortunately Amazon has not renewed it for a third season even though it rates pretty high, apparently because it’s budget exceeded it’s financial return, so I don’t expect the last episode will resolve anything which is unfortunate because I really like it. It’s sort of sci-fi about two feuding ranch families with an anomaly on one of the ranches, a big black hole that comes and goes involving time travel and a mysterious mineral, and how these individual interact not only in present time but also in the past. Hard to explain and a lot of the time hard to know exactly what’s going on. But the second season has been really good so I’m very disappointed that it hasn’t been renewed.


Sunday I worked on the painting some more, not only reflecting the blue part of the sky but the whole lake surface. I need to add a little more blue tones in the gray part under the foliage line but I’m pretty happy with it so far. I do think the green line is a too dark, which is kind of ironic because when I was taking the class I had a hard time getting the colors dark enough, but I’m not sure I can do much about it. I tried lifting some of the pigment but it doesn't seem any lighter. Next I’m going to work on the bare trees in the distance.



Well, another morning’s work outside awaits after breakfast.




11 comments:

  1. Well I am absolutely going to enjoy the step by step view of your painting process! You're so picky that it educates me - I look at it & think AMAZING! And then I wonder, ARE the trees too dark? (I don't think so, but what do I know?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, it's wonderful and exciting to watch your art progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you painting again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The painting is looking good! I haven't heard of "Outer Range" but it sounds like something Dave might like. He loves sci-fi. When he gets back from Michigan maybe we'll watch it. (If I remember!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We started Outer Range, just could not get in to it. It's amazing to me how good the trees look and that you can create something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy with the painting so far:-). Thanks for explaining what you're doing as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Artists amaze me. I love watching your process; your explanations of what you're up to really adds a lot.I don't think the trees are too dark. For one thing, the green seems 'natural' to me. Sometimes greens in landscapes are a little too sharp, if that makes any sense. i like the more muted tones here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still working hard Ellen. Painting is good. Didn't know that was in you repertoire. Hope all is well with you. Still taking care of my husband. Two years now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your painting is coming along beautifully. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure can do a lot of things, Ellen, and you are good at all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I like the painting a lot. Thinking about you as I contemplate hauling branches to our burn pile. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.