Monday, July 1, 2024

mortality, weird dreams, and yard work



Minnie sunning her belly

The last six weeks have been a little harrowing and have caused me to really think about my mortality. Both my parents and my older sister having died in their 70s kinda of puts the skids on my projected end in my late 80s or even 90s like my paternal aunt and my paternal great aunt. I'm still aiming for that but I can't deny the fact that maybe I only have another 6 years. I was talking to my niece, my sister's daughter, several days ago on what would have been my sister's 77th birthday. (Paraphrasing a whole conversation), nope, she says, you are addressing the issues you are facing while Mom didn't (neither did either of my parents) and you are healthy. But so was my sister on the face of it…active, mobile, aging in place. I still have two procedures to go through, the first of which will have a big impact on my life, either absolving the fear of a ticking time bomb in my brain or confirming it. And the second, the third procedure on my heart, will at least get me off the blood thinner. One less medication to take suits me fine.



Turk’s cap


My sister was a little prescient and perhaps that’s why the couple of years before her death she started organizing her life and belongings. She had a whole notebook waiting for us that gave us all the information we would need except for the passcode for her phone though our brother did eventually guess that. She took photos and did research into those of her possessions that were valuable so that we wouldn’t just chuck it all out or sell it for pennies. She had a letter addressed to the family about what she wanted done with certain things (throw away her bras and panties instead of donating them, burn her journals without reading them, scatter her ashes on the beach, stuff like that). So I’m wondering if maybe I should start doing the same. I have written down all my passwords in a single document, have a list of important contacts, I have a will though if I go before I hit 80, Marc will outlive me as his family is long lived so it’s a different scenario from my sister who lived alone, her husband having died more than a decade ago.



phlox


The last week I have been having the weirdest vivid, involved dreams every night and morning. I’ll get up to go to the bathroom (which is usually what wakes me) and I’m like, what the fuck was that all about and yesterday morning was no exception. I’m not going to try to relate it because too long and weird but I did wonder if all these new meds I’ve been put on might have something to do with it and sure enough, the two beta blockers I’m on for blood pressure, metoprolol and lisinopril, both can cause vivid dreams and nightmares. I haven’t been having nightmares but the dreams have definitely been weird and vivid especially considering I don’t usually remember my dreams beyond a fleeting glimpse. No weird ones that I remember today but I had a hard time sleeping last night and spent over an hour between 1:30 and 3:00 texting back and forth with Jade.


daylilies


I torched the burn pile yesterday morning even though it was already well into the 80s but the morning was still, no breeze, and it had to be done because the truck is already overflowing with branches from all the storms last month, one of the garden carts is still full, still a pile in the little backyard, and another big branch fell two days ago. I stuck paper in four spots, doused it with charcoal lighter fluid and lit them all and then I retreated to the car I had driven over and parked in the shade close enough to keep an eye on it and sat there in the air-conditioning. It went up quick. I’ve burned bigger piles but this one for some reason sent up a plume taller than any before and it was alive with motion, dancing and curling.


fire!

Later I was clearing out a small area on the front east side corner and got nailed by a wasp on my arm, looked down and it was hanging there like it was stuck and I had to brush it off with the clippers I was using. It stopped stinging fairly quickly but it hurt all day. Wasp stings don’t usually do that so when I went to bed I got my pocket knife out and tweezers and started digging around the puncture and pulled out the stinger. Better today, still a little tender but doesn’t actively hurt anymore.

 

19 comments:

  1. I’ve had vivid dreams my whole life, but I’ve also been on low dose Metoprolol for 15 years. I never realized it could be contributing to my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had very vivid and involved dreams in my 20s and 30s. and even later in life off and on before being on any mdes. so it may not be the meds at all.

      Delete
  2. Some drugs are like that. Flecanide was horrible for me, had to quit. Could not sleep, and when I did it was horrible, and then it turned out to be an inappropriate drug, anyway. Sorry about the wasp, they really hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he wouldn't put me on flecanide, said it wasn't indicated for people with heart disease. but I don't have heart disease I said. to which he replied that I was of an age where it might develop. so it was preventative.

      Delete
  3. I just came from my cardiologist and all is well. I hope your procedures will go smoothly and the results will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it never does hurt to get things in order. One could be hit by a bus long before a natural death occurred. Jessie keeps pushing us- she's our enforcer and we lag and drag our feet.
    Dreams? You know I have them. Last night I told my brain to please come up with some new scenarios as I am getting bored with all the old ones. This morning when I woke up I decided that yes, there had been at least a few different settings. Now I can't remember much.
    I've spent some hours in the garden today and although I am now drenched in sweat and filthy too, I am happy. Just for the heck of it I even planted some more zinnias and some sunflowers and arugula too in some of the growing bags that are not being used. Why not?
    I wish I could wave a magic wand and let you be rid of these thoughts of your mortality. I know, I know- it's only being realistic to contemplate things but I feel like you are feeling haunted in a way. I am sure your sister's death has affected you far more than even you realize.
    I wish we could put the things that burden us on a burn pile, spray it all with accelerant and light a match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. certainly her sudden and unexpected death affected me deeply but what has really thrown me for a loop is the possible/probable aneurysm which has been just a big question mark for the past 7 weeks. I managed to put it all out of my mind for awhile but it's all resurfaced now that the angiogram is happening next week. and it's been so much all at once, not just one thing but two things at the same time. I'm not afraid of death but I'd rather it wasn't sudden from an excruciating headache. I'd rather be ready and slip away. but we don't get to choose.

      I'd love to be out in the garden getting sweaty but I'm trying to be in the best condition, not heat stressed or dehydrated, before these last two procedures.

      Delete
  5. Argh, I hate wasp stings. Hope you are better!

    With all these procedures scheduled in the near future and the diagnosis and events and the loss of your sister just behind you, dreams are probably a way for your subconscious to sort out stuff - even if they feels just weird. The brain is an amazing machine.

    Yes, do sort out anything that can be sorted. Power of attorney is really important, here every bank, every (health) insurance has a different rule as to what they accept and sorting out the paperwork after a death can take months. Both my in-laws died of cancer, rapidly within months, at age 68 and 71 and my man is now 72 and so far really healthy. With regular check-ups.
    I've read a lot of books on death and dying in recent years, for reasons, and it has been great actually, really comforting. Also, my daughter asked us last year to write down stuff we want our grandchild (as a more grown-up person) to remember/know about us and our lives and our principles, ideals etc. and that is what we are doing on and off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not afraid of death. it's either just a big nothing or being absorbed back into the cosmic consciousness. my view anyway. I'd just rather is wasn't sudden from an excruciating headache out of nowhere. I'm sure once all these procedures are behind me and I know something definitive about the possible/probable aneurysm things will settle down. it's just the not knowing what to expect right now.

      one of the reason for my blog is to have a record of my life, my day to day stuff as well as memories and stories, for my kids, grandkids. when we got to the hospital where they took my sister, they asked me in the emergency room if she had a DNR and power of attorney. I told them yes and I was POA but they never asked to see either document, just took my word for it.

      Delete
  6. You want a weird dream? How about this one. I was in Minneapolis/St. Paul and decided to visit the Mall of America. I didn't know how to get there, so some guy on the street gave me a map. It was so vivid that when I got up yesterday morning I pulled up an online map, and discovered all of the highways and streets in my dream were correct. I haven't been to the Twin Cities since 1973 or so, and never to the mall. And if you're wondering: no, I didn't buy anything.

    I always think of hurricane season as a practice run for the Great Evacuation From Life. It kind of helps to normalize things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe you were astral projecting and actually saw a map.

      Delete
  7. Hope you used Neosporin on the bite. My dreams are usually caused by medications...or at least the remembering of them. We never know how long we will live, but your sister was wise to be so organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did actually after I dug around and got the stinger out. which I thought was weird because wasps aren't supposed to lose their stingers when they hit.

      Delete
  8. I have my Will done and notarized. My barebones cremation paid for! Things my son and daughter in law need to be aware of and, hopefully, keep have been photographed and explained as to their importance!
    I will be 81 in August, so I am prepared when the time comes to say adios! I just can't worry about it!
    Oh, if you get stung again, make a poultice of baking soda and water and coat the sting area. It pulls out the sting and the stinger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't generally worry about and I do have a will notarized with all the attendant documents, DNR PoA though I haven't pre-paid for cremation. things will settle down once I get on the other side of all this and know what to expect. it's the not knowing what's in my brain that has me anxious.

      Delete
  9. I hope this doesn’t sound trite; I certainly don’t intend it that way, but the simple fact is that people live and people die, and that’s about all there is to it. So quit worrying about it and live your life well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no arguing with that and as soon as I'm on the other side of these procedures I'll get back to it. but I'm not worrying about it just contemplating it. there's a difference.

      Delete
  10. In my current mental state, the reminder to get my will in order is appreciated! Only the best thoughts for your procedures are headed your way. The picture of the fire captured my attention. It almost looks like the demons are escaping in the highest flames.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.