Thursday, July 11, 2024

and then it was Tuesday and the aftermath


Read the previous post first.

Monday night I washed with the special soap, clean sheets on the bed, no pets allowed to sleep with me, got up at 3:30 AM, showered with the special soap again, put on clean clothes all as instructed, left the house at 4:30 and arrived at the hospital a little before 5:30 AM for the diagnostic cerebral angiogram. Checked in, told us to be seated and they would call me directly and we waited and waited as person after person who arrived after us got called back. About an hour later the guy comes and asked me for my ID, they are having trouble finding my account. He comes back after a while to tell me that my procedure had been cancelled and that was why they couldn’t find my account. No one notified me, who canceled it and why? Some night nurse canceled it last night but the head nurse on the floor was calling the doctor to find out what was going on and as soon as she talked to the doctor, he would have more information. 

So we waited again and after awhile the guy comes back and says I have two options, the doctor is willing to go ahead and do the procedure but I’ll have to wait until he does the other two scheduled after mine for today and no one could tell me how long the wait would be or I could reschedule. I’m here, I’ve had the pre-op, I've done all the preparation, I’ll wait especially since the neurosurgeon is leaving town again next week. Finally they call us back to the staging area where the attendant gives me a gown, tells me to get naked, climb into the bed with a puffy space type blanket that warm air is being blown into (much better than the warm blankets that cool off in 5 minutes), puts support hose on my legs that come up over my knees (to prevent blood clots she says) and again we wait. About 9 the nurse comes in to start prepping me, says I’m next, scheduled for 10, takes my vitals and puts in the IV. I questioned her about the cancellation, did a nurse have that kind of authority? No, she said, that no one really knows what happened, that Monday was totally chaotic with doctors and patients canceling because they couldn’t get to the hospital and somehow mine got sucked into that, that the hospital was running on generators right now, no wifi and the internet was sketchy, she had to write down all the stuff to enter it into the computer later but this area was fine and they would move me to the pre-op area soon, which they did about 10. 


So now we’re in the pre-op waiting for the doctor, anesthesiologist, and the surgical nurse to come talk to me and while we are waiting we hear more horror stories about yesterday from the nurses who are very chatty. About 11:30 the neurosurgeon stops by, assures me that all is well, did I have any questions. Yes, how tired are you and have you eaten lunch? Says he’s not tired and he’s going for lunch now and they will do the procedure right after. The anesthesiologist comes by and the surgical nurse who stays with me explaining minute by minute what’s going to happen. I will be awake because the doctor will be talking me asking me at times to hold perfectly still while he takes pictures of my brain but I won’t feel a thing, which I didn’t, that she would be by my side the entire time. Once in the operating room and in place on the table and all the prep done getting me in place and immobilized she asked me what music I wanted...Stevie Ray Vaughn. So I lay there with my eyes closed listening to music, being completely still and not breathing when necessary and about 15 minutes later it was over and they wheeled me out to post-op recovery and after a while the doctor came by with the results. 


No aneurysm he says. He showed me a picture of my basilar artery and the junction that the MRI identified as an aneurysm but it was normal and the reason it looked like an aneurysm is because the artery that branches off to the right is sort of twisted around (but perfectly fine) and so didn’t show up on the fuzzy MRI image. So he says you don’t need to see me again and he left. I stayed there for about an hour and then they took me to a different recovery area where Marc joined me again and where I had to stay flat on my back for another two hours. And then they discharged me and we got home about 6 PM.


Still no power at home but we were able to get dinner at the other restaurant which was now open and then spent a miserably hot and humid night. Wednesday morning, still no power so we went out for breakfast and then I called my friends at the end of the street and daughter who also had no power to tell them if they wanted a hot shower or to fill up water containers to come here because while everyone else is on a well which doesn’t function with no power, we are on city water and have a gas water heater. I talked to Rocky about finding the shingles and he came down and climbed up on the roof over there. The entire ridge line of shingles was either off or loose and had to be replaced, all 77” of it. The man is an angel. He had already been sealing another neighbor’s roof who he looks after and he took care of it right away, getting his helper up there to take off the row of shingles while he went to get new ones, working up there in the sun and heat and got that roof repaired while his own roof suffered damage from a tree scraping it when it fell, but since he rents he had to get the OK from his landlord so he would get paid. My daughter also had several trees uprooted, one right next to her house but instead of crushing her house it fell away and demolished the chicken coop (all of the chickens are fine).


Finally we got the power back on about 6 PM yesterday, got take-out for dinner and slept well in the nice cool house last night. Still recovering from my procedure, having to stay off my feet the rest of this week while the incision in my femoral artery heals so I can’t get out there and start cleaning up the yard. And then I have the last procedure on my heart on Monday with another five days or so of recovery. So it’s going to be a while before I’m able to start cleaning up around here and emptying the refrigerator and freezer is the first big task anyway.



27 comments:

  1. So after a time with more excitement than anyone wanted, you're actually fine ! I'm very glad to hear it, but I wish you hadn't had such a time getting to this point.
    You must be worn out. No rush on clearing debris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a relief and a huge weight and fear off my mind. now I'm ready to go back to my boring little life. and every day those downed limbs lay there they are that much lighter. so yeah, no big rush.

      Delete
  2. This is a horror movie script. With a happy ending. The trees will survive, and you as well. Take it easy now. No more surprises hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad phase one is over! Let others clean up outside. Tossing food would make me mournful. I have had to do that before and it sucked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to throw out all the tomato sauce I made that was in the freezer. That's the one I'm most sick about. everything else can be replaced easy enough but I can't make more sauce until next spring/early summer. and the expense of course of replacing all that food and condiments.

      Delete
  4. I don't know the extent of the possible MRI /Aneurysm problem but wouldn't an MRA have been easier and cheaper than all that hassle you went through because of a fuzzy MRI? David, my husband had a possible aneurysm because of a fuzzy MRI of the basilar artery in his brain. We went to San Antonio and the Neurosurgeon said he wouldn't see David until he got an MRA, which we did that same morning and we were seen right after we had it done. I saw the films and they were clean and clear as a bell. The doctor said there was nothing to worry about. The MRA is like an MRI only better for vascular problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of an MRA and neither the hospital or the neurosurgeon suggested it, so I don't know. the angiogram only cost me $250 besides the time and prep. if I had opted to stay in the hospital when the possible aneurysm was first detected, I would have gotten the angiogram on Monday. instead I foolishly opted to do outpatient not realizing it would be nearly two months later.

      Delete
  5. You got an excellent outcome there in your brain. Since there is no aneurysm, is there still a reason to get off blood thinners and close the atrial appendage? It seemed like the aneurysm was driving that decision to close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about that since the whole point of the Watchman was because of the aneurysm. But I've had the pre-op, it's scheduled (though I could cancel). I'm planning to go ahead with it for two reasons. One, to reduce by one the amount of meds I take and two, the financial savings. the eliquis costs me a little over $100 a month (with medicare/drug plan/supplemental insurance). I've been on it for 6 years so it has already cost me over $7,000 and while we have some savings our only income is SS and we can put that money to better use. even though eliquis is one of the drugs Biden plans to negotiate, if he doesn't win, that will no longer happen. for one third of a year's worth that I pay for that drug, I will no longer have to take it. and even though the afib ablation seems to have succeeded, it can come back and with it the danger of a blood clot and stroke. without the Watchman even with the ablation he may keep me on it.

      Delete
  6. 37paddington—hooray, no aneurism! Quite an adventure of a day you had. Lots to clean up outside but at least that medical issue is not hanging over you anymore. Allison asks a good question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as if I didn't have enough on my plate without the hurricane! see my reply to Allison re the Watchman procedure.

      Delete
  7. Too much adventure. A quiet life will be so much better. You know, just dogs and cats and yard cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. But the fact that you do not have an aneurysm almost, ALMOST makes up for it all. Let me ask you a question- would it be possible for you to hire someone to come and clean up all the downed branches? Someone who would appreciate the work and the pay? You really don't have to do everything, Ellen. Soon enough you will be able to attend to everything but for right now, there is no shame in getting some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't express how it felt to get the news. a huge fear just evaporated. now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not just staying in the hospital those 2 more days back then and getting the angiogram done then instead of opting for outpatient. but I thought at the time it would just be a week or so, not nearly two months!

      oh we'll definitely have to hire someone to take down the enormous parts that are still hanging high up. no way can we can take care of those. everything on the ground we can deal with though. well, maybe not the biggest part of the biggest limb on the ground. but everyday they lay there they weigh less. we'll do as much as we can ourselves because, to be frank, it's about the money. tree work is expensive.

      Delete
  9. It certainly was the right decision to wait and get that testing done, and to get the good report after. Frustrating, yes -- but Stevie Ray Vaughn makes everything better! The limbs and trees can wait. The fridge, not so much. Getting that taken care of should be job #1, as they say -- but you know that. A friend who lives in Sea Isle on Galveston's west end, almost to San Luis Pass, finally got down to her place today to get started on the process. She doesn't have power yet, but she's see some linemen and trucks around. The only damage to her place is some missing shingles and a twisted up garage door. She had roll-down hurricane shutters installed a couple of years ago, and they protected all of her windows perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, Marc spent the day clearing out the refrigerator and freezer. and Sea Isle! that's where our family beach (actually bay) house was. My dad had it built when I was 14 I think back when it was was just getting started and it was the last little subdivision on the West End. we were on the bay side on one of the three original canals.

      Delete
  10. Great news!
    Galveston is a mess, not so much damage, but the power situation is abysmal. We’re lucky be in an AirB&B, can always go to our daughter’s if we must, as her power came back yesterday (also Houston daughter got her power back Tuesday and keeps urging us to come to her.) As it is, we’re pooling salvaged food (still had to pitch a lot) and having dinner together. The spirit on the island is phenomenal with people helping each other the way we should all the time, but hey, human nature is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad it worked out but I got to yell you I worry about Texas Infrastructure. You guys suck compared to even Indiana. And Alabama says thank God for Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am proud of the fact that the USA has the most violent weather in the world. Suck on that!

      Delete
  12. Despite the runaround and unwelcome stress it has all turned out well, so that’s a relief. And the damage from the storm wasn’t catastrophic. All in all a happy ending! Now stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you got the all clear on your aneurysm! That is great news.
    My son in Manvel had his power back on late Monday so they felt pretty lucky as several of his colleagues are still waiting. Their only damage was that their fence blew down. They were surprised that was only a Category One storm as it seemed pretty scary to them.
    What a complicated adventure for you, Ellen! Hope things go smoothly now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to hear your good news re: aneurism! Beryl sure has been one heck of a storm. Sorry about those without power in Houston. Take it slow and easy on cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was one wild experience at the hospital. I am glad it all worked out and that the news was good. Yay! Quite a storm you had there. Take care... hope all goes smoothly now. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank goodness for the great news!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so glad to hear the good news! But my goodness what a mess. I hope you're able to entertain yourself - don't look out the window!

    ReplyDelete
  18. To echo previous comments -- what a HUGE relief about the (non-) aneurysm! I think I would have had a cardiac episode myself if I'd gone through all that prep only to be told my procedure had been canceled. Thank goodness they went through with it. You are slowly getting this stuff behind you! I think Ms Moon has a good idea in hiring someone to help with cleanup. Maybe that guy across the street who cleared the ditch? Would he do it?

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.