Wednesday, July 17, 2024

it ain't over until the fat lady sings


You may have noticed that I dropped out of sight again. Or not. It’s not completely unusual for me to get busy and not post for a week. You might have figured that I was busy cleaning up the yard. That would be a big nope. Nothing has been done about that. The only difference is that now everything is brown.


What happened was that the hospital called on Thursday to check on me after the angiogram, asked if I had removed the pressure bandage yet, no, and to go ahead and remove it, clean the incision site, and put a bandaid on it. So I did. When I went to bed Thursday night I noticed four or five small thumbprint size bruises on my inner thigh that had not been there when I took the bandage off. Two hours later those spots were all connected. When I woke up Friday morning it had become a red and slightly purple bruise bigger than my handprint. That was alarming so I called the doctor’s office first thing and reported what was going on. The NP called back, some bruising was normal but the doctor ordered an ultrasound for today and to call the imaging center and make an appointment. They couldn’t see me until 2:30 and by noon the bruise was still spreading and my thigh was swelling. Since I was starting to freak out a little we left at noon hoping they could get me in earlier if I was there but en route I called the doctor’s office again, reported the increased bruising and swelling and asked if I should go to the ER instead. Yes, she said, get thee to the ER.


I didn’t get the ultrasound until 5:30. By then the bruising and swelling had stabilized. I had been taking the blood thinner but when I saw my thigh that morning I didn’t take it. Turns out I should not have started taking it again until 24 hours after the angiogram but they failed to tell me that. Anyway, the ultrasound showed a ‘pseudo aneurysm’ at the site where the catheter was inserted in my femoral artery for the angiogram and even though it had stopped actively bleeding they admitted me to the hospital. The surgical PA examined me Saturday morning, paged the vascular surgeon who was slow to respond so he put another pressure bandage on the incision site and a sand bag on top of that to see if that would close up the pseudo aneurysm. Then another ultrasound Sunday which showed that while it had decreased some it had not closed all the way and surgery was scheduled for Monday.


While I was in pre-op Monday talking to the surgical assistant about the difference between an aneurysm and a pseudo aneurysm I asked which was more dangerous. Pseudo aneurysm. Great, of course it was. So the surgeon made a 2 1/2” incision to put one stitch in my femoral artery, declared the surgery a success and they discharged me from the hospital Tuesday. So now I’ll have another identifying scar if my headless body ever turns up.


I was supposed to have the Watchman procedure Monday to get me off the blood thinner but I called the electrophysiologist’s office when I was in the ER and it was canceled. I still intend to have it but I’ll wait a while. As the floor doctor told me on Sunday it was a good procedure for people my age on blood thinners to get because that’s when we start falling and hitting our heads and bleeding. Fun guy, but I suppose he’s right. 


All this because I mistook an intense afib episode for some sort of heart failure but at least I know my heart is good, my lungs are good, and my vessels aren’t all clogged up.


Can my life get more exciting?

 

20 comments:

  1. Wow. It never ends. I am so sorry to hear what all has been going on. You'd think they would have been sure to tell you about abstaining from the blood thinners! Hopefully you are on the road to some
    peace with health issues. Then the yardwork will be there. Of course I have been missing your posts. Your blog is a happy part of my life. But I thought maybe you were doing what I am doing. Burying my head to escape the absolutely insane path this country seems to be going down. Terrifying to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was the day after the hurricane, hospital was short staffed running on generators, no wifi, internet sketchy, and 74 year old arteries losing their elasticity. and yes, I've been avoiding the news as much as possible. just can't with so much else going on in my life.

      Delete
  2. One damn thing after another. Can we have some dull days, please, instead of full days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of you a lot. Take care, take things easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounded scary as all hell. I would have chosen the ER too. Take care and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit. I was afraid something like this had happened. I was just about to e-mail you. Damn, Ellen. It's time for you to catch a break. I am so sorry. Okay. Tell your body NO MORE of this mess. And please, please don't try to get your yard cleared right now. It's not going anywhere. Do you think maybe you could hire someone to do the heavy lifting? Those neighbors who cut the ditch, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said, too! Ditch man to the rescue!

      Delete
  6. Oh lord. I'm glad you're healthy(ish I guess), but what a way to have to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been through it!! I am so glad you are ok now. I am waiting for another round of blood tests to determine which drugs need to be changed to "level" my bouncing moods and keep me from passing out suddenly. A sleep study has been ordered. I have not had this much medical attention since my last pregnancy. I don't like it! And I know you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  8. geez , take a nap, have a cup of tea, stay cool and pretend you are royal, don[t do anything. Just stop for a minute!! All of that is not anyone's idea of enjoying life to the full...dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It never rains but what it pours, except perhaps in TX re that last bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good grief, you have been through the wringer. Here's hoping for some calmness in your medical life for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, your tree looks pretty much like the trees around here, except I have dying and dead oak and cypress waiting to be cleared out.
    I did assume you'd been involved in post-Beryl cleanup. Not so much. I swear to goodness you've been through more than anyone should have to cope with. But, as you say, at least you know those important body parts, like your heart, are ok. Maybe now you can settle down to some tv and books and just chill for a while. You certainly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you wrote some of this in a novel it would stretch credulity! Let’s hope the final episode has been written and you are going to “live happily ever after!” No more surprises, no more drama, all the right information provided and good health! You’ll need it to remove all those downed branches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you have been through a lot last week, Ellen! That's enough now. Rest, relax, let those downed trees get nice and dry and dead and hire someone to chop them up and take them away for you.
    Feel better and please take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto in hoping you are getting better every day, and resting as needed. Not sure the way things have happened would have been your first choice (ever!) but at this point you are "all systems go."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Lord, Ellen, that is WAY too much excitement. I would never have guessed a pseudo-aneurysm is more dangerous than an aneurysm! I hope you are well and truly on the mend now. You gave me a laugh with your "headless body" quip. Nothing like dark humor to get us through these trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 37paddington—oh ellen, how terrifying! But happy to hear all is well again. Thank god you’re on top of things health wise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I certainly hope things calm down for you on the medical front. Y'all are due for a break.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.