Friday, May 17, 2024

a pain woke me up



Tuesday night about 1:30, I was asleep, dreaming I had a pain and as it moved up to my back in my dream, the pain woke me up. It was fairly high up between my shoulder blades right about where my heart is. My afib was going nuts, heartbeat really fast and irregular. The pain wasn’t terrible, I’ve had back spasms worse than this was, but it was enough to wake me up. Whoa, what the fuck is this. Am I having a heart attack? I sat up on the edge of the bed wondering if I should put some clothes on (I sleep naked) in case I had to call the EMTs. I got up and went to the bathroom, went back to bed and propped myself up a little, googled heart attack in women on my phone and of all the symptoms the pain in my back was the only one. I could feel the afib in my chest but it didn’t feel like it was being squeezed, wasn’t hard to breathe, no pain in my jaw or in my arm, not nauseous. It subsided a little while I played solitaire trying to calm the afib down some. Pain flared back up so I sat on the edge of the bed again trying to decided what, if anything, to do, and this time sat up completely in bed against the wall trying to distract myself with other games until the pain subsided and I laid down and went back to sleep. If you’re wondering where Marc was during this, we sleep in separate bedrooms because his snoring keeps me awake and with the dog and sometimes the cat, that double bed is just too small.

Miraculously, I woke up Wednesday morning, afib still active. After breakfast I worked outside for two hours digging up newly sprouted pecan and oak trees or cutting them at ground level and spraying a little poison on the exposed cut so they wouldn’t come back which they will do it you just cut them down. Came in about 1 PM hot, soaked, and sweaty and the afib was still a little active. Usually some physical activity will calm it down. It finally settled down into a nice sinus rhythm about 5:30. And then sometime during the night Wednesday night it started back up and I’ve been in afib since though not as intense as Tuesday night.


I did go ahead and go to SHARE Thursday morning and talked to one of the volunteers who had had a heart attack last year, asking about her experience. I told her what I had experienced and she encouraged me to call my doctor and if it happened again and didn’t stop after a few minutes to go to the ER. So when I got home I timed my pulse, at least 100 bpm, a little faster I think with skips or extra beats. I called my doctor’s office and talked to the nurse, ran it all by her. I had my regular biannual appointment scheduled for the 29th but she rescheduled me for next Wednesday the 22nd and told me that if it happens again or I get lightheaded and feel like I’m going to pass out before Wednesday and doesn’t stop after a few minutes to go to the ER and have them contact the office and to just take it easy until my appointment. By Thursday evening I didn’t feel very well, breaking out in sweats which are also a symptom of heart attack but also of afib and I do that a lot even sitting in the air conditioned house. I’d been in afib since Tuesday night with one short break and was starting to stress out, pretty freaked out about the whole thing. I went to bed and propped myself up playing games on my phone, really kind of afraid to go to sleep, until my heart settled down some, still a little fast but not too irregular


Friday morning…still alive! And feeling better, heart rate down to 86 bpm. If I make it through til next Wednesday without going to the ER I imagine the doctor is going to want to do a complete cardiac workup. I’ve only had that done once and that was 7 years ago right after I first started having episodes of afib during our trip to Hawaii but got a clean bill of health then.


So that’s what’s happening with me and now I need to take my mind off it because I’m starting to feel a little stressed out about it. A heart attack is not on my to do list.


22 comments:

  1. So sorry about this stress. Yes, that sounds like good advice. Do get to the ER if anything happens other than steady heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will do. currently it's beating in a nice sinus rhythm.

      Delete
  2. "they" say eat a banana, sleep on the right side of your body, hydrate to the max- go get a zap! Dennis had a fib , no longer does he because he had ablation, but I seem to recall that you also had an ablation, right? I think this is worrisome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do eat a lot of bananas but don't have any right now. heart is finally in a happy sinus rhythm since an hour ago. yes, I had an ablation in the right atria for flutter which was successful. no ablation for afib in the left atria, a much longer and more invasive procedure without as good an outcome. the doc preferred trying medication which works mostly but now and then I get these prolonged episodes. it's the pain in the back that has me freaked out.

      Delete
  3. I hate when that happens. My last ablation (2013) was a rousing success. Even so, the occasional PVC just scares the crap out of me - what if it doesn't stop? Did they tell you to valsava? There is a new modified version that is said to be better. Couldn't hurt.

    https://rebelem.com/the-modified-valsalva-maneuver-head-down-legs-up/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, legs up the wall yoga pose. when Abby has us do that I generally go straight into shoulder stand. I don't know if it would help my afib which is different than what you have/had but won't hurt to try it. your ablation was in the ventricle, right? my ablation was in the right atria for flutter which was a success, I don't have that anymore just the afib in the left atria. there is an ablation for that but it is a longer and more invasive procedure with less predictable results so my doctor put me on sotolol which works pretty well most the time.

      Delete
    2. My first ablation was right atrium for what they thought was flutter. It stayed fixed for about a year, then it came back worse than before. The second was both atria for fib and what turned out to be an ectopic atrial tachycardia. It was about 3 hours since they had to chase down two sets of bad cells that were wreaking havoc.

      Delete
  4. Ellen, this concerns me. The pain is not "nothing." I really wish you'd go get checked out the next time this happens. I mean- if they're going to do a full cardiac work-up anyway, why not go ahead and get it? I understand your reluctance to go to the ER but heart things are not taken lightly there and you would be attended to and taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart is currently in a nice sinus rhythm and I have an appointment for Wednesday, the soonest I could get in (he's out of town this week). if I went to the ER now they would probably just send me home. I don't have a cardiologist, just the electrophysiologist. to get a new doctor I would have to find one in my network, find out if they take my insurance, get a referral, and then I can make an appointment and who know how far in the future that would be. so Wednesday it is and we'll see what he wants to do. believe me, if I experience that pain again or anything else indicative of something serious I'm going to the ER.

      Delete
  5. Please pay attention to getting care. I had my heart attack out of the blue 4 years ago. No afib. But pain in my neck kept me from sleeping for 2 days, and I went to my regular MD who changed my BP meds, and maybe told me something about using pain relievers. The pain relievers over the counter had not worked and I was exhausted from being awake and in pain, some coughing which is chronic for me. Finally on evening of 3rd day a friend drove me to ER, and after 2nd EKG and several tests of blood they determined a heart attack, and gave me a stent on the LAD artery which feeds the heart.
    Women don't always have symptoms like men! That's the main underlining point here. I'd tell each physician I saw about excruciating pain in my neck and shoulders. Some tightness felt in chest. That was the way I got treated as a heart patient...otherwise they would have left me in the waiting room with everyone else. Heart patients do get immediate care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my appointment with my electrophysiologist for Wednesday, soonest I can get in and if I experience any pain again I will go to the ER as instructed. right now I'm back to a happy sinus rhythm.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to read this, I hope it will all work out.
    But a thorough check-up at least is required. Soonest, but you do know this. Don't rely on past experiences.
    Just watch yourself and don't downplay it, don't talk yourself out of any lingering doubts, better safe than sorry.

    When years back I had the afib that would not stop, I had no idea what it was and although I had passed out that morning while standing up, made it to a scheduled medical appointment - for something completely different - that morning, sat in the waiting area for about an hour and when the doctor saw me, she did an ECG, called the paramedics and I was rushed to the intensive care unit. Spent a week there. Hasn't happen since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't intend to ignore it but Wednesday is the soonest I can get in to see my doctor. I will go to the ER if I experience any kind of pain but right now, no pain and no afib, heart is back to it's sinus rhythm.

      Delete
  7. I came over to check on you after reading about that crazy storm that hit Houston -- but this is not the news I expected to see! I think you should get it checked out before Wednesday, particularly if it continues. The ER can at least make sure there are not other factors causing the pain and/or contributing to the afib.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had high wind and thunder for about an hour and heavy rain for ten minutes and that was it.

      going to the ER now they would probably send me home since I'm not having any symptoms and it's been about 65 hours since the episode. I've not had any pain since that one time Tuesday night and I'm not even in afib anymore, heart rate settled down to a healthy sinus rhythm late this morning. if it happens again before Wednesday I will definitely go to the ER. I'm plenty concerned but also trying not to stress out about it as long as I'm feeling OK.

      Delete
    2. Well, I trust your judgement, Ellen. You know what's best for you! Sounds like a sensible approach.

      Delete
  8. Only you know what’s best for your own body. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. REST! Until yout appointment, please. When I had my first episode of chest pain and went to the ER, they took me straight to a treament room. I was happy that I got fast attention and equally scared that I got fast attention! The pain was not intense or acute, I stayed home for a few hours, hoping it would subside. Women do not want to go to the ER. Then when I did have a heart attack and chose t use the same doctors who had cared so quickly for my husband, I was met with skeptical and rather abrupt treatment. I felt like I was taking up their valuable time and that my health was minimally important to them. Then when we oved here and I knew I would need to find a cardiologist, I was referred to my current one, a woman. She was appalled that my arrythmia had not been properly addressed or diagnosed. I feel much much more assured under her care. I hope you will be ok until you can get to your appointment. I hate going to the ER and it sounds like you are not a big fan either. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I woke up with AFib one morning this past August, I Googled for about an hour before I ended up in an ambulance to the ER. The first thing the doctor told me was "Don't Google!" just dial 911! But I had never had AFib before so I can see why you handled it differently. I haven't had any AFib since then. Hope the doctor has some answers for you on Wednesday and you know we will all be waiting to hear what's happening... Stay well, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That must have been so scary, ellen. I am glad things are quiet now, and glad you'll investigate the whole thing in just a few days time. Keep us posted please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stuff life throws at you! I can well imagine the freaking out part but I can also assure you that you will find a sort of calm. After all, this is you, this is what you've been last week and the week before and all the time. Our bodies work, yours is doing its job, with faulty equipment, messed up bits, yes, but look at the excellent job it did in the past week, you are here, you can write about it.
    Life always means we are in limbo, sometimes more than we want to be aware of. But when we get whacked like you did just now, it's scary and humbling and so naturally, we tend to think we have lost control, want to see how this could happen and why and look for the repair kit.
    Take it really easy, Ellen, accept the freaking out part, cherish the life you have, inside and out. It's all there is, always has been. Everything is connected, the weird weakness, the racing heart beat, the aneurysm, all of it and so much more is that whole person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the dog and cat sleep with me. I imagine by now you've read the most recent post and if you haven't, it's the rest of the story of this incident.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.