Wednesday, May 1, 2024

not dead yet


Yesterday was my 74th trip around the sun. We went to a Mexican restaurant for a late lunch and margaritas and I was so full that the stuffed feeling didn’t start to abate til about 8 PM and I have left overs for lunch today. I got text messages from two of my granddaughters, a long phone call from my son, and a visit from my daughter who came bearing a gift of three fancy desserts, none of which I sampled last night because see above.


I told Marc during lunch that I think I’m more freaked out about being in the mid 70s than I think I will be when I hit my 80s (positive thinking here kids, putting out in the universe what I desire). The reason being that people start dying in their 70s; my sister who was active, self sufficient, and basically healthy being a perfect example since she keeled over dead at 76 last year. So I looked up some statistics.


According to the Social Security actuarial tables, a female (me) who was 60 in 2015 will live to be 84, 70 in 2015 will live to be 86. I was 65 in 2015 so I should expect to live until I’m 85 at least. But then my sister, older by 3 years died at 76, almost a decade less than the expectation. Here’s another statistic, more than 20% of people will die before they are 70 while almost 60% will live past 80. In 2020 the average age of death in the US was 73.7. At 74 I’ve passed that milestone if only just barely. World wide the biggest cause of death is cardiovascular disease (what killed my sister) followed by cancer, respiratory diseases (in 2021 in the US that was covid specifically) and fourth, various dementias.


In my youth and hallucinatory drug days and later delving into metaphysics and Theosophy and Jung and even the ridiculed New Age stuff, I came to understand that all is one and one is all, that death of the physical body was not necessarily the death of consciousness, that death is really only birth in reverse when we shed the physical body we took on when we were born, that our consciousness cycles through what we think of as reality as independent beings and being absorbed into the All That Is; that past, present, and future are all happening simultaneously. Research and speculations coming out from quantum physics seems to support these notions. 


The upshot is that I’m not afraid of death, but I’m not ready for it either. That’s where the fear and anxiety comes in, that it will happen suddenly like it did for Pam. I saw her one day and she was happy and healthy and the next I found her basically dead on the ground from a massive stroke.  


She had had a heart attack at 50 and at least two TIAs that I’m aware of, one a year or so after her heart attack and one in the year of her death though I think she had at least two others last year, judging from observation, that she wouldn’t admit to because she didn’t want to go to the neurologist and go through all the tests because she was seriously claustrophobic. While I have not had a heart attack or any vascular blockages or mini-strokes, I do have afib which puts me in the cardiovascular disease column, number one killer of humans.


When my death comes, as it will for every living thing in this theater we call Earth, I want to be so fulfilled with life to the point of being tired of living, to be ready to say goodbye and willing to take that last breath and give up the ghost to rest and reflect and plan for the next go round.

In the meantime, I try to be a good person and, if I’m lucky, as loved as my sister was.



16 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Enjoy all the days you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I loved your last statement about being so fulfilled with life so you're tired of living and ready to let go. It will stick with me. I sometimes consider (as I'm falling asleep) whether I'll wake up or not. Sleeping in the C-PAP may push those thoughts along, but I feel there's definitely more this 81 year old wants to do still!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy birthday!! My father-in-law turns 92 this year and I'm pretty sure he's ready to go. He enjoys his cats and the sunshine and baseball, but all of his friends are gone (or too ill to visit), and he frets about how he can't do anything anymore. He feels like he should be busy & that he's being "lazy" instead of a person in his 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful birthday post, Ellen. And you are a beautiful human being. My hope for you is that you continue to enjoy your purposeful, creative, caring life for many many years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy trip around the sun. Being in the 70's is weird, I never thought I would live this long. But here I am. The wildings are beautiful cats, any chance they'll ever be tamed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, keep having them until your are fed up- then you can go...I am liking being in the 70's so far. Mostly because I just don't have any effs left to give- so freeing! Pretty much done everything there has been to do- we are satisfied- but , please NOT YET!!! Still curious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother lived to 93, and by that last year or so, she was more than ready to head off into the great unknown, even though she was relatively healthy and still living in her own place. It helped that I was around to take care of crises, like forgetting how to use the television remote control, but her friends and most family were gone, and I honestly think she was bored. I still have trouble grasping that I'm going to turn 78 at my next birthday, but there it is. It actually kind of tickles me. I joke that my career goal is being the world's oldest living varnisher, but why not? It seems to be helping to keep me healthy: a perk as great as a 401K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Ellen. What a lot of celebratory food! I read recently that the younger generation if about to replace the last of the millenials about to retire, and outnumber them. Well, the world just keep spinning around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! You are doing so very well, you tick all the boxes, physically and mentally active, no too much of the bad stuff and a positive outlook. What else is there? Maybe not ignoring any warning signs that may need medical attention?

    I wasted years of treatment - and probably cut my life expectancy - because of my poor/arrogant opinion of all things medical/pharmaceutical, combined with an overinflated sense of self, as in "I know my body". I learned my lesson.

    Those desserts look lovely, tell us what they are (were).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday. Live every day and enjoy it as best you can. That’s about all any of us can do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! What a beautiful gift those desserts were. I hope they tasted as good as they look. I appreciate your outlook on living and dying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Ellen! Hope your year is filled with good health, happy adventures, and all the things you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday! Of course it's natural to be apprehensive about our health and our futures as we age, but dying suddenly is actually an ideal way to go, it seems to me. I like the idea of birth in reverse. That's exactly what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! I will be 71 in July and the older I get the less I fear death. I waited all year to die when I was 69, since both my mother and my sister died at 69. So anything going forward is a bonus! I will live as long as I live and continue to do things simply because they bring me satisfaction. Time with family is prescious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated Ellen, and hopefully many more healthy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday fellow Taurus. There are at least 100 million trillion planets in the Universe. Be a shame if they were empty real estate. Maybe when you die, you'll wind up a baby on the other side of the cosmos.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.