Sunday, May 19, 2024

the rest of the story


The afib stopped Friday late morning about 11:30, back to a sweet sinus rhythm, and I felt great all day until about 5:30, quarter to six when I was sitting on the couch and this feeling washed over me leaving me feeling light headed, or probably more accurate, a little disassociated with a weakness in my arms and legs and a feeling of things just not being right, this was not normal and I was not in afib. I told my husband I was feeling really weird. Do you need to go to the hospital he asked. Maybe I replied. So we got in the car and he took me to Memorial Hermann SW hospital in Houston which is where my electrophysiologist has his
  practice in the Heart Rhythm Center there on the campus. It took about 45 minutes to get there and on the way I texted both my kids and Sarah who had just left work and was about 10 minutes away said she’d meet us there. 

Sarah was there and waiting when Marc dropped me off at the ER and went to park the car. We walked in and I told the woman at the intake that I might be having a heart attack or heart related problem. First thing they did an EKG and took my blood pressure and told me to wait til they called me. Then they took blood and urine. Back to waiting. Then they did a CAT scan of my head and neck. Back to waiting. Then they did a chest x-ray. Back to waiting. By now the disassociation and weakness had passed. Then they called me again and took me back to an actual room where they took my blood pressure again and set an IV. Is that really necessary I asked. Yes, in case we need to blah blah blah. But then she went on to say that they don’t put the IV in at intake because drug addicts who have collapsed veins will come in and complain about something, get the IV and then leave and use the IV to get high. 


Sarah was with me during all these previous tests and once in the room she went and fetched Marc from the waiting room. They took me back for another CAT scan with contrast (injected dye in the IV) and then we waited again for the results of all the tests. The PA came in with all the results, heart fine and strong, lungs great, no sign of heart attack or stroke, arteries clear, also no explanation for the pain in my back Tuesday or the disassociation and weakness that sent me to the ER. So all that was fine but…the CAT scan with contrast showed “Mildly tortuous basilar artery without significant artherosclerosis or narrowing. Focal ectasia or fusiform aneurysm involving the basilar tip measuring 5 mm.” So, I have an aneurysm. Yay me!


By now it’s about 3 AM, the doctor wakes up the neurosurgeon to see what he wants to do so they admit me for an MRI on Saturday and I can either stay in the hospital til Monday when he can do a cerebral angiogram or go home and arrange the procedure as an out-patient. Sarah and Marc went home and I got up to a room about 3:30 when they put a heart monitor on me, blood pressure cuff and the finger thing for blood oxygen level, took more blood, attached a drip to the IV. I might have dozed off and on for a couple of hours and then around 7 AM they did an echocardiogram which was kind of cool. I could see my heart beating and inside it at the valves opening and closing. The tech took a bunch of pictures and measurements of the inside of my heart. 


Finally the neurologist’s assistant came in and interviewed me and explained the procedure for the MRI and what they would be looking for. If the MRI was “clean” as in no blood or seepage in my brain, they would do a cerebral angiogram where they would insert a camera into the artery in my groin and snake it up into my brain to get a good look at the aneurysm and then decide if surgery was necessary or just to keep an eye on it. Whatever that means. How do you keep an eye on something in my brain that you can’t see.


Then they did the MRI which was an experience all on its own. First I laid down on the table they would insert in the machine, then put ear plugs in my ears and a bolster under my knees for comfort, covered me with a warm blanket and rolled me to the machine where they put dense but soft foam up against both sides of my head to prevent me from moving it which further dampened my hearing, put a plastic sort of cage over my face, told me not to move my head, and rolled me far enough in so that my head and neck could be viewed. I knew there would be loud thumping and there was that but also all sorts of other percussion sounds. Ten minutes later it was over.


About an hour later the neurologist came in, MRI was clean and I could stay til Monday for the angiogram but if the surgeon had an emergency it might not get done that day or, because both the neurologist and the neurosurgeon were confident that the aneurysm was stable for now, I could go home and schedule it with his office within the next two weeks.


By now I’ve had almost no sleep since Thursday night, I’m uncomfortable, I have a headache, and I’m tired of being poked and prodded so I opted to go home. Sarah came and picked me up and I got home about 6:30, went to bed at 7:30, woke at 9:30 to scarf down two pieces of pizza and take my meds and went back to bed and slept til 7:30 this morning.


And no, the aneurysm was not the cause of any of the weird symptoms or feelings. They couldn’t tell me anything definitive about them but speculated that the pain in my back was probably related to the intense afib episode I was having and perhaps the weird feeling was also related to having been in afib for 65 hours straight even though it had stopped by then.


So yeah, I’ve got a small aneurysm in my brain which is scary as fuck.


Thank you all of you for telling me to get thee to the ER and ramping up my fear even though, as it turns out, I wasn’t having a heart attack. It might never have been discovered otherwise. And I might have lived a very long life with it and never knowing…or not. It’s the ‘or not’ part that now hangs over me. 


I’m trying not to think about it because when I do, well, I just don’t want to go there. When aneurysms blow they are almost always fatal.


Fun times, right?


18 comments:

  1. This is tough. Good for you for going through all that. Hang on to the fact that it's stable! This is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trying to focus on that but I'm probably going to freak out every time I get a headache which I don't very often thank goodness.

      Delete
  2. I just read both of these posts, and something crossed my mind about that fast heart rate and pain. You've been working a lot outside -- maybe not working to death, but still. This spring when it started getting hot, about the end of March, I wasn't very diligent about hydration, and I ended up with a fast heart rate for me (110 instead of my usual 65), and muscular pain in my neck, shoulders, and back. I trotted off to my GP and had the office EKG and etc, and nothing showed up, but when I started pushing water, everything was fine in about three days. So, it's something to consider in tandem with all this other business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because muscle tissue contains a high percentage of water, dehydration can cause muscle cramps or pains.

      Delete
    2. you're probably right about dehydration contributing to the intense afib episode. I did drink water but probably not enough.

      Delete
  3. So glad you had everything prodded and pictured. Not so glad with results leaving you in limbo, with yet a newly identified area that could or could not ever cause more problems. It's living with a little thing in your head, which you didn't know about before...that's going to take some getting used to, I imagine. Wishes that you have support staff around you to help! (Animals count!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Afib usually knocked Dennis down a few notches but never that hard! I am SO glad you went in to the ER- they did you a solid- (our Er is pathetic and would not have responded to anything other than open bleeding wounds). Glad you spent the night though you did not sleep well there- Glad they found a "Possible" trouble maker before it found you! Like a time bomb! My friend had the up through the groin surgery and it saved her. I would say don't wait any more minutes, but that is just me and my worry/fear /mother thing. You are strong and well and will be just fine, I say....BUT....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - how scary! I'm glad you went ahead & got checked out, but yes the uncertainty has to be really tough. Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m on the ‘glad you went to the ER’ team. We have a good friend here in Galveston who woke up one morning not long ago feeling off in an undefinable way. Looked in the mirror and saw his face was swollen. Hied himself to the ER at UTMB in Galveston where both funny feeling and swelling were of no consequence, but they found two brain aneurysms. He was told to just go home and live normally while they scheduled the surgery. It was much more invasive than yours will be, it seems, - he has a doozy of a scar - but after several days in the hospital with some Covid-related lung damage complications, and a spell in rehab, he’s at home and doing very well. I know every situation and every patient are different, but his experience makes me very hopeful about yours.
    Ten years ago my husband had open heart surgery for an aortic aneurysm that his doctors had been keeping an eye on for years; I found that far more nerve-wracking than the surgery itself.
    Sending you all good wishes from Galveston to Wharton. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. This was definitely not on your to-do list. We just never have any idea, do we? I have no advice at all. Just- do what you are told to do, do what you need to do. And I think you will. We are here, loving you. Please know that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, did not see that coming! Glad you went, glad they found that thing and can do something about it. I've never understood "watching" a brain aneurysm. Seems like they should fix it, asap. But, what do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto what Mary said. Especially the part about loving you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They say that knowledge is everything, but maybe there are some things you’d just prefer not to know! The advice on ensuring that you remain hydrated seems pretty solid to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you went and had those tests! Now you know your heart's "fine and strong, lungs great, no sign of heart attack or stroke, arteries clear". That's great news to hear. You'll get that angiogram soon and then you will be good to go, Ellen. Thinking of you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I'm SO glad you went and got checked out. At least now you know what you're dealing with. I think if the doctors felt the aneurysm was in imminent danger of "blowing" they wouldn't have sent you home. It's good they're concerned but their approach seems geared more toward long-term management, and I'd take that as a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad they kept testing until they found the aneurysm. They can do amazing things now-a-days, things that used to mean certain death are now almost routine procedures. I will be thinking of you as you wait for your procedure. I would have oted to go home, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you listened to your body! I wonder if your subconscious knew when the aneurism popped up and that was the reason for the crazy dreams / thoughts the week before?

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes, I am well aware of the stats. it's fucking scary. but people also live with them without them rupturing. the cerebral angiogram that I will undergo is a diagnostic to see if it needs immediate remedial action or if it just needs watching.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.