Monday, April 22, 2024

no AC, tomato windfall, flowering things


Losing track of the days. Wednesday we went to Costco to stock up on some things but not until after I watered the gardens some, we need rain and it was so hot and humid I came in sweaty. Took a half hour to cool off enough to take a shower. Later in the day it was 80˚ in the house with 80% humidity…in the house! Marc turned on the AC set at 78˚, which is our summer setting, mostly to offset the humidity. An hour later it was 81˚ in the house, another hour 82˚, coming back from yoga at 6:30, 83˚. Well fuck. This unit is only a couple of years old and fortunately still under warranty. 


Thursday I wore shorts to SHARE for the first time transitioning from capris which transitioned from jeans. Marc called the AC guys and oh fun, the motherboard shorted out. Part ordered on Thursday but in all likelihood will be Wednesday before it’s repaired and functioning again. Fortunately, last night a front blew in with minimal rain, boo, but has cooled it off considerably, 57˚ outside when I got up this morning.


We got a lot of frozen packages of ground beef and fresh vegetables donated to SHARE last Thursday by the Wharton County Farm Bureau…carrots, kale, sweet potatoes, cabbages, beets and then Walmart sent over two huge boxes of tomatoes on the edge, some big ones but mostly romas, some firm enough but mostly just good for cooking. We gave out as much as we could but it was a slow day for food orders. I picked out 11 pounds of the firmest tomatoes to make tomato sauce and some sweet potatoes. Other volunteers took what they wanted and the rest went with Cora who said her horses would eat it.


So Saturday I made the first batch of tomato sauce using half the tomatoes. I slow roast them with garlic and olive oil and basil leaves, salt and pepper, until the tomatoes are soft, wrinkled and bursting and then put it in the blender and hit puree. I filled 8 - 1/4 pint jars and three vacuum sealed bags of one cup each. The second batch done yesterday yielded 6 vacuum sealed bags of 1 cup each.



I tied fishing line on each of the new crystals with which to hang them. So these newest ones with the three I still had not hung and the five I acquired previously gives me 16 to hang. I laid them out in the order in which to hang them, maybe.


Garden stuff…I planted a pot of morning glory bush up against the front of Pam’s house yesterday. It’s from cuttings I took in the fall of ’22 that never got planted anywhere. I wanted to plant it where I just did but Pam didn’t want it. I also have a pot of a volunteer confederate rose from the same year that never got planted anywhere. While both of mine came back after this winter, Pam’s did not so I’ll plant it over there too. Also at Pam’s her catalpa trees are blooming.


The pink angel trumpet is blooming, not quite as voluptuous as last year but sitting on the driveway it’s not getting quite as much sun and it is pot bound so I need to get a bigger pot for it, especially since the one it’s in is broken from being blown over.


There’s more but I’ll save it for the next post as this has gone on long enough.

 

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful flowers as always. When our summer arrives, I set the thermostat at 82 and run fans. It's mainly, as you say, to deal with humidity, of which we have plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! 80 degrees in the house is too hot for me. Although I also think 78 is too hot. I'm a delicate flower who wants it to be 74 at all times unless I don't. Poor Mike. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that is the best tomato sauce ever. What temperature do you use to roast the tomatoes?
    Your flowers- the best. That catalpa tree's blooms are just so fine and fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 250˚ for 3 1/2 to 4 hours depending on the size of the tomatoes. I usually start checking after 3 hours. 5 - 6 pounds of tomatoes, one medium size bulb of garlic (you can chop it or leave the cloves whole, I leave the small ones whole and cut the others in two or three or four pieces), 1/3 cup olive oil drizzled over the tomatoes and garlic using my hand to make sure the tomatoes are well coated, 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves scattered on top. when the last tomatoes go in the blender (I do it in three batches) I lightly scrape the pan into a corner and pour the remaining olive oil in with them.

      Delete
    2. salt and pepper too and it all goes in the freezer.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you (apart from the AC) with tomatoes and such gorgeous flowers. We just had a touch of frost last night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, thank goodness some cool weather blew in while you cope with that A/C. I love catalpa trees. I don't see them much over here, but my grandparents had a big one in their yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tomato sauce looks delicious and it’s good to see that the tomatoes were used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would never occur to me to make tomato sauce in that way. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so chilly here I had my winter coat on again for the last several days. Warming up to 50s and 60s now so that is much better. Hope your weather stays cool until your A/C is fixed.
    You are so much busier than I am, Ellen, you make me feel guilty! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best tomato sauce I ever made was in the oven! Now that I have a functioning oven I am, hoping for a big tomato crop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize we have catalpa trees. There was a huge, beautiful one across from my grandparents' home in Iowa, and I remember being astonished by the size of the beans. Those flowers are pretty. Are they fragrant? I'll bet the bees love them. I'm glad you posted about the tomatoes, too. I've been so focused on work I haven't been paying much attention to anything; I need to call my local you-pick-it place and see if they have tomatoes now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think catalpa flowers are fragrant, at least I didn't notice any when i was photographing the flowers. as for the tomatoes, those were grocery store greenhouse variety. my plants are as tall as the cages and blooming but not really setting any fruit yet. checked with others and theirs aren't either.

      Delete
  11. I love roasting tomatoes. I did it also once for homemade salsa and it was goooood. Sorry about the A.C. Ours is out right now due to electrical issues that we're waiting to get fixed. Glad yours is under warranty. That's wonderful. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.