Thursday, April 25, 2024

just more grunt work in the yard and the peacock


clasping leaved coneflowers, the last of the spring wildflowers along with the queen anne’s lace, taking over from the spent evening primrose, at the back of the big backyard



Remember when I wrote on the 13th that I used the trimmer to cut the ditch in front of the shop yard that just 3 1/2 weeks prior my neighbor cut to the ground and had regrown about a foot? This is what it looked like Tuesday only 11 days later…at least four times the coverage and just as tall. I swear those grassy weeds grow 2” every day.


I got down in there Monday with the pump sprayer and doused those broad leafed weeds that send up the big stalks because they didn’t seem to be dying from being poisoned the first time after I cut the ditch and there were at least twice as many new ones.


My intention was to get down in there again yesterday and cut it while we are still having this cooler weather but once again I need gas for the trimmer and besides that I woke up with a stiff neck on the left side and an aching left shoulder and then I forgot Marc had an errand in the city so no ditch yesterday and it also turned out the cooler weather was already gone. Instead I hauled the full garden cart of broken downed branches from the storms over to the burn pile and then filled it up again, raked all the small sticks and leaves to the low spot on the west side of the house that Jade had brushed off the roof for me last time she was here, 


swept the concrete apron in front of the garage and barn while Marc was gone with the car, did some weeding, intended to dig the hole to sink the pot of one of the plumerias in its summer spot but too many fire ants which I then doused with diatomaceous earth. Fuckers (next day they still aren’t dead even though it says right on the bag it kills ants). 


Nothing much else to tell. Started setting up the sprinkler Monday and Tuesday because no rain in the forecast though that’s changed. Doesn’t mean we’ll get any. And the AC got repaired Monday after which we turned it off because we didn’t need it. Went to yoga last night and when Abby hadn’t shown up 5 minutes past class time I stepped up and led the class. Abby usually texts me when she can’t make it but it turned out she had just completely forgot preoccupied with some personal stuff. 


Lots of pictures piling up so maybe a photo dump next time. Til then here’s the local wandering peacock. He's looking much better than the last time I saw him so I guess he was molting back then.





22 comments:

  1. I love the peacock! I was happy to realize that I didn't need to burn all the twigs and leaves this year, instead scooping them all in the void behind the retaining wall. My nephew scored 6 blueberry plants for me when we visited and they are all well established. I already had 2 and planted all of them atop the leaves. The laves will make the soil slightly acidic and I have read that blueberries thrive in acidic soil. I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, blueberries like acidic soil. you can also add composted peat. I don't burn leaves just let them lay where they fall until they get mowed over and mulched in.

      Delete
  2. Of course you have wandering peacocks. We have wandering wild turkeys. Is there a peahen involved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a neighbor down the street had two, a cock and a hen, that they keep in a pen. the hen died a couple of years ago and the wandering peacock visits the cock and they scream at each other.

      Delete
  3. Drat those weeds and grass in the ditch...they should know that you are the boss and they must bow down low low low! Lots of work while it was cool...I'm really impressed. Fire ants usually have two connecting hills, I've been told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every mound is connected. I can discourage them from using one for awhile but eventually they try opening it up again. constant battle. the ditch will eventually win when it gets too hot to deal with it.

      Delete
  4. Y'all need a ditch goat.
    I love your peacock ornament- we only have deer for our yard ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I could use one to keep the fence line under control. I think I can even rent one. I'll have to check into it.

      Delete
  5. That ditch is hopeless. But ten out of ten for your perseverance.
    I admit that I resort to toxic stuff if ants or any other critters threaten to come inside. But our ants are not of the fire ants variety and they do move on when I pour boiling water with lots of dishwashing liquid down their holes and along their path.
    Your wildflowers are always a beautiful thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the ditch will win as soon as it get too hot for me to maintain it. another neighbor keeps telling me I can borrow his gas push mower, that it would be easier and quicker but I don't think he realizes how steep those sides are. I keep telling him to come mow it for me and prove it. I can handle a 9 pound trimmer but a heavy mower on a steep slope? nope.

      Delete
  6. If I had a peacock come to visit I would be very happy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all excited the first time it came down my street. I think it lives 3 or 4 streets over. it gets in my neighbor's yard and eats stuff in his veg garden and he is not well pleased with it.

      Delete
  7. Peacocks are gorgeous but I'd be in a permanent state of startle because they're loud & don't they sound like someone is committing murder? Or am I thinking of something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, they scream. besides the wandering peacock, another neighbor down the street keeps one in a pen. I hear it all the time.

      Delete
  8. I have so many weeds taking over my flower beds that I am thinking of mowing it all down and starting over again. I'd hate to lose my lovely groundcover, tho, so I am trying to figure it out... It's been chilly here anyway but it is getting warmer next week so I won't have any more excuses! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's a ground cover that gets in my flowerbeds. I don't mind it in the yard if it would just stay there.

      Delete
  9. Ellen, I swear- I read this and thought, "You know, I don't want to work that hard any more." I am seriously thinking that it's time for me to hand this sort of chores over. Do I really want to spend the last years of my life hauling branches to the burn pile and pulling crocosmia? I just don't even know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I can't work out there all day anymore. I'm having to pick and choose where I want my efforts. I don't pick the ditch but I don't have much choice about that until it gets too hot then to hell with it.

      Delete
  10. Love those coneflowers. Can you believe I've not seen any yet? Clearly, I'm spending too much time among the boats and not enough among the lilies (or coneflowers) of the fields. I did notice today that the cypress trees here are already forming new balls -- it won't be long until we're in full summer. I could stand a little less heat, and a little less wind. It really was cranking here today -- up to 30-35 mph. You should have seen the gulls and pelicans flying--they do make use of a tail wind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, hard to believe. they are everywhere here. windy here too and again today. summer is bearing down on us. Marc turned on the AC yesterday, not for the heat so much as the humidity in the house. used to be we refused to turn on the AC before June 1, then mid May, now end of April. unbelievable that some people still don't believe in climate change and humans part in it.

      Delete
  11. Hi Ellen, I hope your aches and pains have worn off a little. I bought an Ego battery brush cutter a couple of years back and I really like it. It does the same job as my petrol one. The charge lasts around 50 to 60 minutes and takes about 30 minutes to fully recharge - just time for a cup of tea! These days my petrol one only ever comes out of the shed to give it a run, I don't miss it one bit.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.