Monday, April 17, 2023

digging and planting and weeding and being outside during this glorious week


The weather this last week has been glorious including today...in the 50s in the morning warming to the 70s, low humidity so of course I've spent as much of it as I could outside. In no particular order I got my green beans in the ground, moved the five plumerias to their summer spots sinking two pots in the ground and planting another straight into the ground after I broke its pot last fall moving it into the garage, sprouted heavenly blue morning glory seeds to plant over at the shop, did a lot of weeding in the flower beds, added dirt to my potato plants (I'll eventually fill the big pot all the way to the top as they grow), sowed marigold and nasturtium seeds, planted moss rose, a trailing petunia, and two pentas either in pots or the ground, spread fertilizer in pots and the ground, used the trimmer to tidy up around all the flower beds and around the bluebonnets in front that are going to seed, moved the small clump of elephant garlic allium, moved some of the yellow and white butterfly ginger to the front along side of the deck, planted the firespike I rooted over the winter in the front, moved a small volunteer beautyberry, dug up the dewberry vines that had invaded the west flower bed, tossed out more zinnia seeds, planted the morning glory bush cuttings I rooted, used the chainsaw to cut out and cut up some dead branches in the photinia in the little backyard. And that's probably not even everything.

Some pics of what's blooming...


rain lilies


third round of blooms on the walking iris


clasping leaved coneflowers


queen anne's lace


byzantium gladiolas

I have a new plan for the old turtle pond. I have two smaller ponds that I grow water plants in, some of which I grew to feed Big Mama, and they are all going in the big pond now and I'll get rid of the two small ones; one round and one kidney shaped. I already had lizard tail in there because she wouldn't eat that and the other two are parrot feather and sword leaf which she did eat. The small round tub with the miniature water lily I'll keep.

Last Tuesday was the last cardio drumming class and I'm going to miss it but at least it will make it easier to get dinner done and I won't have to get all my prep done before I go to class.

The T-rex that guards the entrance to our neighborhood has acquired some new companions, a pair of velociraptors.

I went to the annual training meeting at SHARE this morning which basically consists of treating the people who come for help with dignity (for the interviewers) and not giving them out of date food or any package that has been damaged (for those of us who fill the food requests) which means checking the sell by date on everything that is donated. Sometimes people just clean out their pantries. We've gotten stuff that is years out of date, not often but it does happen. After the meeting there was a potluck lunch that I did not stay for...you're not staying? No not this time, I have things I need to do today. What I didn't tell them was that the 'things' were outside on this glorious day, way too nice to be spending it indoors and I got the last major weeding done in a flower bed by the fence that was neglected last year. I still have a couple of small areas but I need to use the trowel to get around the things I don't want to dig up.


this area was filled with weeds and stuff I did not want



18 comments:

  1. You had a great gardening day, lovely use of the good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely too nice a day to stay, even for a pot luck meal. Have Aunt Laura's bulbs fared any better since you moved them, or have you given up on them entirely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they don't like to be moved and went dormant. I split them and planted them in two spots about 5' apart. one clump hasn't done as well as the other but neither are very tall, maybe 4 or 5 inches and still no blooms. maybe next year. hope springs eternal.

      Delete
  3. I get dizzy just reading and looking at your pictures. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the weather cooperates that's the time to be outside. Soon where you live it will be too hot to move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am jealous! Our weather is so beautiful right now too but god, I just don't feel like working outside. Or anywhere. Maybe soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds glorious. Well, not the hard work. I would have enjoyed carrying around a folding chair and watching you work. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have lots more energy than me! We had some snow flurries yesterday but it's warming up today. My Mom always said no planting until May15th so I'll get busier in the garden then... I'll never get as busy as you tho! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful field of flowers. Enjoy your nice weather, before the heat and humidity arrive. It was 39F this morning, still too early to do anything. Some of our trees are still holding on to last years' leaves, wonder why they did that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 37paddington:
    You have a good full life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing your flowers blooming there. Springtime is so beautiful. Those velociraptors are so cool. I wish they were still around on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your turtle never returned, i am sorry to hear that.
    Your flowers are most beautiful! Do you seed them all or are some of them wild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, she didn't but I didn't expect her to. some of the stuff like the bluebonnets, evening primrose, clasping leaved coneflower are wildflowers that I allow to grow in the yard. we don't mow until all the spring wildflowers are done. other plantings in the flower beds are native perennials and come back on their own or bulbs or shrubs that are root hardy. the only seeds I throw out every year are zinnias tho this year I tossed out some marigold seeds my neighbor gave me. I'll buy a few annuals like the moss rose for pots and pansies in the fall.

      Delete
  12. You've been working hard! That's a lot of gardening, even with nice weather. I don't remember seeing the T-Rex before -- have you shown us that in the past? The velociraptors are a nice touch. Better than a "Beware of Dog" sign. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did post a picture of the T-rex but it's been a couple of years and I don't remember when exactly.

      Delete
  13. I don't remember seeing the T-Rex, either. That's really cool, and the addition of a couple of velociraptors is perfect. I laughed at your lunch excuse. There are times when I've told someone, "I have an appointment." What I don't say is that my appointment is with a local refuge or nature preserve. I was surprised to see your rain lilies in a pot. There's no reason they couldn't be potted up, but I'm so used to thinking of them as a now-you-see-it now-you-don't kind of flower that just pops up wherever, it just never occurred to me to deal with them that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dug up the big white rain lilies by the side of the road and couldn't decide where to plant them so in a pot they went and are still there. I probably should put them in the ground.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.