Thursday, April 27, 2023

birds and rain and more weird food


I saw a rose breasted grosbeak! It was sitting facing me in the photinia on the other side of the little backyard across from my window when I happened to look up. It was so striking with that white breast and the brilliant red collar with a black head and wings though I couldn't really see the body, facing me as it was. But I'm sure that's what it was being the right size and after doing a google picture search, it is the only bird that fits what I saw. I looked it up and sure enough, they migrate through here in April. I was hoping it would come to the bird feeder so I could get a better look but it didn't, just flew off. So that was my excitement for Wednesday morning.


image via https://www.animalspot.net/

I finally got mulch spread under the tomatoes Wednesday afternoon. Took me about 30 or 40 minutes. Wasn't particularly hot, upper 70s, partly cloudy sky so the the sun wasn't beating down relentlessly but it was so humid that by the time I finished sweat was dripping off my face. You'd have thought I had been standing out in the rain.

Wednesday night had a different excitement. A big storm with lightning and thunder, a couple of which flash and boom happened almost simultaneously, and bouts of hard rain came through about 3 AM and lasted til 7 AM just when I had to get up to have my coffee and breakfast and get to SHARE. Consequently I did not get any sleep between those hours because the neurotic little dog was in constant motion trembling and panting. This side, that side, on the bed, off the bed, up by my head, down by my feet, under the covers, not under the covers and mostly trying to lay on my pillow above my head which pulled my hair, panting in my face. I was not a happy camper. Tremble and pant, just be fucking STILL. Threw her off the bed several times, tossed her out of the room and closed the door for less than 3 minutes while she scratched at the other side in a panic. I'm sorry to say I yelled at her a lot. Poor little dog. I know she can't help it. Why do these storms always come through at night!

When I went out to check the rain gauge this morning which showed we had gotten 2 inches, I heard a strange chirping/whistling, looked up in the pecan tree and there were four whistling ducks.

Spent my morning at SHARE, very slow today, only 14 or so clients for food so a lot of standing around. One of the other volunteers bags up instant oatmeal packets and granola/snack bars three to a bag and she brought them around to me as that's one of the things I deal with. So here's another item from the Department of Ridiculous Food.

What, pray tell, is 'seasonal flavor'?

And because I just really like this view of the queen anne's lace with the clasping leaved coneflowers and the big old native pecan tree, here's another picture of it.



 

21 comments:

  1. You see the most beautiful birds there. I love that rose-breasted grosbeak. We used to see them when we lived in the Sierra foothills, but haven't seen any since we moved here to the coast. Love the queen-anne's lace too. Spring is so beautiful everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice looking bird. The color on the chest is striking. I did not know that whistling ducks were a thing. Can you hear them whistle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they do really make a sort of whistling/chortling sound. it's what drew my attention up into the tree.

      Delete
  3. there are Doggie calmers ,you know. Fork over a little cash on Amazon and the spray or tablets will come to you. totally worth it- many dogs agree. Texas has a few things that are really lovely, bird are one and fields of flowers another, And Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I have had cbd dog treats that help. just ran out. and of course it was a particularly bad storm.

      Delete
  4. Those Rose- breasted Grosbeaks are heading our way and any day now the first ones should be arriving. They'll be joined by Baltimore Orioles right around the same time. It's exciting to be a birder any time, but especially in Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have seen a very few rose-breasted grosbeaks here. It's always like a special blessing, isn't it?
    We got your storms last night. Lots of rain and thunder and lightening. Wind. I hear there was a tornado warning nearby. Summer is being birthed.
    That field is amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's the first time for me to see one here or anywhere for that matter. I learned yesterday that two of my neighbors had seen it too.

      Delete
  6. Lovely meadow of flowers! How exciting to see that pretty bird!
    I wouldn't want to take a chance on "seasonal flavor".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get one of the other volunteers to take it home and try it out and report back but no dice.

      Delete
  7. Talk to your Vet about things you can do or buy to help your poor pup cope better with the thunder and lightening! Obviously yelling at him or tossing him out of the room doesn't work either!
    Or ... maybe a cat would work better for you then the poor pup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I know. I'm usually very patient with her. and yes, I have had cbd doggie treats that help, just ran out. I do not mistreat my dog. four solid hours of her trying to sit on my head when all I wanted was to get some sleep made me a little cranky and I wasn't yelling at her for four solid hours and when I said I threw her off the bed, I didn't mean I picked her up and bodily threw her. I just insisted she get down hoping she would go hide in the closet as she does for fireworks. of course she jumped right back up. and I already have a cat.

      Delete
    2. Thanks ... I certainly don't believe you are a candidate for animal abuse charges ... far from it!
      Frustration makes us all sound so much worse then the situation calls for! Stock up on all the pet calming items you can! Grab a nap in the recliner whenever you can! 🐕🐈

      Delete
  8. In decades of birding the Eastern Flyway I've had exactly one sighting of a rose breasted grosbeak as I was getting out of the car, arriving at the bird platform. One glimpse, never forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose breasted grosbeak are common at Ann's house, in Wisconsin. I've seen only one, briefly migrating through Ohio.
    My sympathy for your night of "abuse" from the dog. I do not know what I would do with such an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My poor dogs get frantic at thunder and fireworks too. CBD drops seem to help some. Beautiful field of blooms!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I would TOTALLY have tried that seasonal flavor oatmeal. What you want to bet it's pumpkin? Man - now I want you to mail it to me (I first typed email & wouldn't THAT have been a trick - ha!).

    GORGEOUS field photo. Happy sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's yours. I'll get it next Thursday and send it to you and you can report back.

      Delete
  12. That rose-breasted grosbeak is a gem! And now I'm remembering grade school, when we'd change the name and giggle for all we were worth at the "gross-breasted rosebeak"! Every year for three years I've seen exactly one indigo bunting at my feeders. It stays for one or two days, and then is gone to find its friends. As for those whistling ducks, I love them. I haven't heard many this year, and haven't seen any. I guess I need to get out of the bluebonnet fields and east Texas and start looking around home again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor neurotic little dog! Good spot on the grosbeak.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.