Wednesday, August 31, 2022

rain, Pig, work, different toe


We're getting little bits of rain just about every day. Doesn't generally last longer than 10 or 15 minutes though today it rained lightly for about two hours. My grocery shop day got moved to Monday so I didn't get over to the shop and after lunch it was raining. I checked the radar and it showed El Campo was getting hammered and shortly after that Abby texted canceling yoga so Marc and I watched a movie late afternoon.

I'm a Nicholas Cage fan. People seem to either love him or hate him because, I guess he's not real picky about the movies he does. He'll do anything that seems interesting because he likes to work, often filming several movies during a single year. So we were trolling through Hulu, seeing what they had to offer and saw this Cage film...Pig. Pig, that's the name of it. This movie is a tragedy, as in comedy/tragedy. Cage plays Rob, an emotionally broken man, a man of few or no words, ragged, dirty, unkempt, who has turned his back on society and life, living alone off the grid in the PNW in a small cabin in the forest making what little living he needs by hunting truffles with his pig, his only companion, and exchanging what he finds with Amir who brings him canned goods, batteries, and whatever else. One night, two people bust into Rob's cabin, knock him out, and steal his pig. Rob walks to the nearest establishment, calls Amir and conscripts him to help recover the pig. Truffle hunting is a competitive business and Rob and Amir are pulled back in to Rob's old life in their effort to track down who has his pig. As I said it's a tragic story, and not just for Rob. Amir has his own story. I don't want to tell you much more about the movie. I really liked it and recommend it. Pig on Hulu.


----------

I glued the feet on the box last Saturday giving the glue two days to cure so yesterday I got the final bit of grinding done working on the feet so that the box sits level side to side and front to back and doesn't wobble and the feet are flat on the bottom. Now all that need be done is decide how I want it to look. I used oil paint to lighten up the raised ridges on the brain coral and I'm really happy with how it looks now. I've decided to put the three bigger corals loose in the box. The two smaller ones won't get used at all, I was less thrilled with those anyway.

I intend to employ paint on the inlay to give it some shading/variation and the feet so they aren't so stark. And then come up with the final arrangement of the coral pieces on the top and get that all glued down. So maybe another week and It'll be finished. It won't take a week of work but I usually only get about 2 hours a day except on weekends and not every day of the week.

I thought I broke my toe yesterday. I was walking around the radial arm chop saw which is sitting on the concrete cause that's where I used it last and even though I was wearing sandals I kicked the corner of it with the middle toe on my left foot. It's purple and a little swollen and hurts. How does that even happen? Not the big toe (thankfully since that's the one with no toenail) and not the pinky toe but the one in the middle. Still purple and a little swollen but doesn't hurt as much.


 

17 comments:

  1. I thought the pig's owner was the true truffle hunter. He simply kept the porker because, as he said, he "loved it." I seem to be the one person in America who did not like "PIG," despite having examined it more than I should have. It offered food for thought but little else.

    I appreciate reading your view of the movie. I still wonder what I missed. Perhaps I am not a member of the target audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pig belonged to Rob. The death of his wife destroyed him and the theft of Pig was the loss, once again, of the one thing he cared about. He didn't need Pig to hunt truffles, he needed Pig as the companion that he loved. The movie is about loss and how it can change your life, change you. Not just Rob, but Amir and Amir's father. One little uptick of hope at the end in how his relationship with Amir changed.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your take. I thought I'd missed something. I understood him withdrawing but volunteering to be punched was too much. No one is ever that numb, are they? Not numb enough to risk being brain damaged. We all have our ways of coping though. Perhaps Amir takes the place of the pig. Hope is the thing with wings.

      Delete
  2. I did that with the same toe recently. I was sure it was broken. Then found they only worry about the big and pinky toes because no toe friends to support them. Evidently the middle toe is held in place. Gosh it hurt though. One of those hidden sofa legs.

    I'm glad you're putting two pieces in the box. A bonus for whoever opens it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The middle toes are longer, so must have something to do with that?! I dunno.

    I haven't heard of "Pig" but it sounds interesting. Maybe you can find a purpose for your coral "rejects" in another piece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuk, reading about that toe hurts. There's nothing you can do but ice it if necessary and wait it out. I did that four years ago while carrying my newborn grandchild and the grandchild took their first steps before my toe was ok again, albeit a bit crooked.
    Thanks for the "Pig" suggestions and looking forward VERY much to the finished box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Nicholas Cage too & I would probably watch that movie if I still watched movies. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting film. I think I'l put that on our watch list. Love the progress on that box.
    Hope your toe is feeling better. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang toes. Always running into large stationery objects!
    I know you're glad that the box is finally coming together. What amazing work you do.
    I've never even heard of "Pig." For some reason we don't have HULU. I need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either but he's so prolific I'm not surprised. Getting so close, much happier with how it's evolving now.

      Delete
  8. Your corals and sea stuff is absolutely the best! Very cool. PIG sounds so sad , I think I will pass on that , no more sadness needed here at the moment. I keep my toes in a box, some call them shoes but it is helpful because I am not a good judge of distance between my feet and solid objects on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I told my elder daughter a thousand times, Do not come home and dump your load of books by the piano, it blocks the way into the kitchen! You know, the place where there is coffee. I came down one morning, the usual load of books was in the way. I drew back my foot to move them far away, and bashed straight into the piano leg. I wore house slippers to work for several months!
    Please give us six or eight views of the box. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see the finished box. So sorry about your toe... for a small part of the body, they can sure hurt like the dickens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Light rain for about two hours sounds good. That gives it a chance to soak into the ground and do some good. You do have thing with your toes, Ellen. I think you will have to start wearing steel-toed boots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever seen a Cage movie. I confess when I read your title, I thought 'pig' was a reference to one of your toes: "this little piggy went to market" and so on. I really like what you did to highlight the ridges on the brain coral. It fascinates me how much difference even a tiny change can make. I'm glad you're leaving a couple of coral pieces in the box, too.

    I hope you don't get flooded away over the weekend. I'm not sure how much rain we're supposed to get, but they're saying it's going to be 80% or even 90% here all the way through Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weather app is showing 9 days in a row of rain starting tomorrow with probability ranging from 40% ( tomorrow) to 98% on Saturday with the rest of the days in the 80s to 60s%. Damn. The ground is already saturated.

      Delete
  13. I seem to hurt some part of my body on a daily basis. Sometimes I have no idea what happened, just see the bruise and feel the pain. I suppose I am lucky that I haven't broken anything, as I spend far too much time at doctor's offices as it is! I will have to check out the movie. I like odd films and Cage is a fine actor.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.