Sunday, August 14, 2022

flowers and espionage and anniversaries, oh my


My frit finally arrived Friday afternoon, too late to go over to the studio so I didn't get the last mold filled, the body of the box, until Saturday afternoon. It's in the kiln. It might come out tomorrow but more likely Tuesday.



Friday's mail also brought a little check from the gallery. The sunflower sold.



Saturday morning I went to the Earth Lab series at Hesed House, this month on Ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arranging and instead of just a presentation on the history and development, we also got a hands on workshop where we all got to try our hand at doing an arrangement. It was a lot of fun. My sister Pam is the coordinator who lines up the speakers and topics.

Here's my effort.



We're getting a much needed break in the heat today, still in the 80s and should only get up to 90 and we're getting another little shower, no thunder so far but rain is all it takes for the dog to tremble. The frogs are loving it though. Tomorrow, back up in the mid 90s.

----------

After it was revealed that Trump had super sensitive top secret documents, some marked SCI meaning that they are to be viewed only on a need to know basis by those with the highest security clearance and only in a secure room from which they were never to be removed, and was being investigated under the espionage act the far right wackos with their lies went silent for two days apparently told to back off the volatile rhetoric by other republicans (though now they're back to attacking Biden and lying about the Inflation Reduction Act). The documents retrieved were so sensitive and national security related that the FBI is dusting every page for fingerprints to see who touched them. One of the documents was the list of our uncover agents and their payroll information. There's no way to accurately describe the danger and damage to our national security that these top secret documents in the hands of a man who already tried to overthrow our democracy incurs. Jim Wright of Stonekettle Station does a good job though. You can read his essay on this here. It's long, as his essays are, but well worth the read if you want to understand just how damaging Trump, who no longer has any kind of security clearance, having these documents for a year and a half is. Anyone else would already have been arrested for espionage.

----------

Some things blooming in the yard. The rangoon creeper, the coral butterfly ginger finally started blooming, the bridal bouquet plumerias, the morning glory bush for all that it likes heat hasn't done very well but is starting to bloom a little.



I should get over to the shop and continue the cold work on the pieces already cast but today is our 46th anniversary and that's as good an excuse as any to be lazy today. That's beer in our champagne glasses.




14 comments:

  1. Oh my... Happy Anniversary!!! Happiness is a good life-time partner! Blessings to you both, with wishes for many more years of happiness to come. I had read that Trump had some very serious documents, but this is the first I'd seen about our agents names being released (other than the ones that did the search at Mar-a-Lago). Unbelievable of him. Made my heart skip a beat to think of those men and women who now truly have a target on their back. And their families!!! My God! I knew he was bad, but this is beyond bad. Thank you for keeping everyone informed. Vital...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list of undercover agents (our spies) was in his possession but we don't know if he gave it to anyone. Hopefully not.

      Delete
  2. Oh, if you guys weren't the cutest couple! I swear.
    Your flowers are amazing and I do love that flower arrangement. I want to do more of that sort of thing. It is so satisfying to create a space which is so light and lovely with just a few elements. A sort of haiku arrangement.
    As to the orange man- I am here watching this shit go down wondering how in the world he thinks he's going to wiggle out of this one. I am sure he's in complete denial that it's a possibility that he'll be arrested, much less convicted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! Happy anniversary, to both of you.

    I was so happy when I read yesterday that they're fingerprinting the highest toppest most secret dox I imagine some people are booking flights out to some place like Costa Rica, no extradition treaty countries. I really think there are folks sweating big-time. Goid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! That's an excellent reason to take the day off.
    I feel bad for the operatives whose covers may have been blown by the orange one. He really should go to jail and not pass go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got married the same year my dad married my stepmother -- in very similar clothing I might add. (They were older than you, though!)

    I really hope this Trump investigation leads to something, but I fear his supporters (and a disturbing number of mainstream Republicans) will forever dismiss it as the Deep State planting documents and whipping up fraudulent charges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary, no small achievement! And congratulations on the sale of that luminous sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 46th Anniversary! Hope you two have a wonderful celebratory day there.
    It is wild to watch this Trump espionage story unfold. I am utterly blown away but what he took with him, and I LOVE that the FBI is dusting everything for fingerprints. Such crazy times we are living in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary to you both! 46 years is a commitment. Speaking of commitments, I sincerely hope a prison cell awaits the former dictator wanna-be. I am sick of the news out of Atlanta. Herschel Walker is running and if I have to hear that dimwit speak again today I will smash the TV. He brags incessantly about his work on a police force in Atlanta, though no one seems to be able to find any records proving it. Not to mention his "FBI training", also bogus. He is definitely cut from the same cloth as his endorser and sounds much like the village idiot every time he opens his mouth, making me wonder how many hits to the head he took as a football player. He suposedly has an organization to help veterans, but nobody can seem to find it either. Die hard Republicans are giddy with their support and praise. I just do not get it! I am grateful that Marjorie Taylor Green lost her bid to run again and the guy in the wheelchair from NC is actually in my district, but he won't be running either. Where do these people come from? Is there a secret society of idiots out there? No wonder I want to hide on a mountain!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one set of posh wedding outfits! Do you still have them?
    It's either sad or stupid to hang onto one's former dreams of Making America Great, etc. As for the propagator, how does he sleep at night, knowing he sold out actual people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You looked fabulous on your wedding day. Your husband's hair on his worst day looks better than tRump's on his best! (Now that should really piss him off!). I am getting the feeling that he may yet have to face the music for his actions, but I doubt that we will ever see him go to prison. Preventing him from ever running for office again would be a great step forward, however.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary, Ellen! You look like a fun couple! Wishing you many more happy years together!
    I was married in 1976 also! But I got divorced after 33 years of marriage...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary! I love that photo of the two of you. I'm glad the workshop was a success - I know Pam was afraid no one would show up. Love your Ikebana! And congrats on the sale!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.