Wednesday, August 24, 2022

getting there


That rain Friday and a short burst on Saturday brought us some cooler temperatures, a few days in the low 90s and this week highs in the high 80s! Still humid though and more rain predicted. One thing about the no rain and high temps, we haven't had mosquitoes at all this summer. That may be about to change though since we got more rain last night and this morning.

I headed over to the shop Sunday after our late morning breakfast/brunch. We skip lunch on Sundays since we eat our first meal so late and then have an early dinner. What that means is that I have a large block of uninterrupted time to work. My goal for the day was to fit the inlay of coral on the front of the box. It took about 4 hours but I got it done faster than I thought it would take with that curvy undulating edge. I eventually had to go get a lamp and my 200% magnifier glasses to get the last bit of fine tuning done switching out to smaller and smaller diamond grinding bits. Look close to see where it's hanging up, grind the spot for a second, check the fit, pick another spot, grind for a second, check the fit, over and over. Now I have to pare down the sides and bottom of the inlay so it's flush with the sides and bottom of the box. You might remember I made it a little larger to ensure that it would be the right size. I probably didn't need to do that, just made more work for myself. Once that's done then I can fit the feet, polish the box and whatever else needs it. Really getting close now.

----------

I didn't get over there at all on Monday. Since I had to get cat food I went ahead and did the week's grocery run instead. Yesterday I did a little more fine tuning on the inlay and pared down the sides and bottom so they are now flush with the sides and bottom of the box and started on fitting the feet starting with the two in the back. One is done, the second perhaps is acceptable. I've decided I'm not quite happy with the top, I'd like to see some extending over the side edges so with that in mind, too late to make a wax model of something I don't have a clear image of and cast it so I'm going to sort through my bag of coral pieces when it gets here and see if I can incorporate some of those. If not, well, then it will be as is.

I think these will be the last pictures until it's completely finished.



 

14 comments:

  1. We have had a pretty good amount of rain this summer and by golly, we've not had the mosquitoes either! Or the yellow flies to a great extent. Knock wood!
    We do the same on Sundays with breakfast being so late that there's no lunch. Sometimes there are snacks around five and then supper at the regular time.
    Your box is so lovely. I just love it, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had little rain, just enough to keep the mosquitoes happy!

    Your box is coming along a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks beautiful. Of course, you're the one you have to please, but I'm very impressed.

    I can send you some insidious flower bugs if you're missing biting insects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain? What is this thing called rain? We don't get stuff like that here in California, but we sure wish we did.
    The box is really looking so beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing it when you have finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The box is really coming together nicely. I can't wait to see it with the pretty feet attached too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I admire what you doand thenumber of hours it takes astounds me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have had such regular rain that I barely water the mandevillas. The box is coming along. I can't wait to see it up on its legs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your box is looking ever more beautiful. Have you figured out how many hours you have invested in this? I just know what it takes for Miriam to make a quilt and I suspect that comparisons are valid here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No mosquitoes around me which is because of the Mosquito Kill companies. They unfortunately kill every other bug as well, starving the bug predators and getting us that much closer to ecological collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 37paddington:
    I love your boxes. This is another beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having spent yesterday with friends on Galveston and Follett's Island, I can report that the mosquito shortage is over. Good grief! We sprayed ourselves down twice, and those devils stilll managed to get through our defenses. It was interesting to see two different species: larger ones, and the tiny salt marsh mosquitoes. There was a plane spraying around Artist Boat and Lafitte's Cove. The days of DDT are over, though. They have a new biological agent they use that doesn't harm plants, animals, and other insects. I can't remember the name, but I remember reading about it a year or two ago. I wish them success.

    You don't need wishes for success for your box. You're doing quite well on your own. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, the little bitties and the big black ones. Going through a major revision of the box. Once I glued on the feet, it's not working.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! You're triggering my "art glass collector" button for sure! LOL Just love the stuff and yours is sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work, so good to watch.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.