Sunday, August 28, 2022

redesign, treason, and finally!


The days are getting away from me, I've fallen out of pocket. AWOL from reading blogs but I'll be back. Right now I'm trying to finish the box and the book I'm reading before the one next in line has to be returned to the library.

Well, here at the end I'm completely changing my mind about the top to the coral reef box. I've never been completely happy with the small corals on the top. I think it's the difference in scale that bothers me so much especially now that the feet are attached and still don't like the rock bases I built them on. So now that my coral pieces have come I'm reverting to my original vision which was coral pieces on the top. So what am I going to do with the little glass pieces I made? I could put them inside. I can arrange the five corals to fit snugly on the bottom inside. I could glue them in place but then no one would ever see them unless they took the top off and looked. Or I could not glue them in and if there is a buyer, they can decide whether to leave them in the box or take them out. Or I could just keep them for some future project. The little crab may or may not still be nestled among the broken coral pieces on the top. Also not real happy with the inlay, I should have done some shading with the colors, and the feet are so stark, may have to employ some oil paint. At any rate, the next picture I post is going to be very different.

----------

Presidential Alert”, “Urgent Alert”, “Action Needed”, “News Alert”, “Poll Update”, “Breaking News”, etc. I'm being inundated with political emails asking for money which have been increasing the closer we get to the mid-terms. I've been getting 12 - 15 a day, maybe more, via two email accounts and text messages lately. I've gotten on these lists because I will occasionally sign a petition even though I know those things don't really do any good or a request to answer a survey or do you support President Biden and his agenda, etc. If you reply to any of these emails or texts it sends you to a site requesting a donation. Just $5! Just $3, can you give $3? Being on a limited income, we don't send money to politicians, when we donate money it's to organizations like the ACLU or Planned Parenthood. If I was to give even $3 to everyone that asked on a particular day, say 10, that's $30 a day, $210 a week. Now I'm getting emails to 'activate' my membership in the Democratic party. Apparently someone noticed I'm not registered as a Democrat. My affiliation is as an Independent and I plan to keep it that way even though I don't vote Republican.

The good news is that the media and pundits are no longer assuming a GOP takeover of the House and Senate. The demise of Roe, the J6 hearings, and now the revelations that Trump is being investigated for espionage if not treason and has undermined our national security, very possibly being the reason so many of our spies and covert agents have been killed or captured or compromised in the months during which Trump had possession of those confidential and top secret documents that he kept unsecured and, we know now, that boxes of those documents traveled with him to other nations, even those of our adversaries. How many copies has he made and sold? How many copies does he still have hidden away? And he may very well have been sharing them as president. Still the GOP, the MAGA Republicans, support him. Add to that the Biden administration's success in passing legislation that benefits the country and middle and working class Americans instead of the 2% and corporations
, legislation that the majority of Americans are in favor of, and Republicans voted against nearly 100% and are still blocking legislation that Americans want. Perhaps the majority has had enough.

----------

If you've been following me for anytime at all you know I have a Dresden porcelain chandelier. It was in my parent's bedroom growing up and I claimed it after my dad died and my mother moved to Washington state to live with my brother. I hung it above my dining room table in the Houston house with its 10' ceilings. We sold that house 8 years ago and it's been hanging under a 6' ladder for all that time. I only have 8' ceilings here and I was afraid that it would hang too low over the table here. Well, believe it or not I finally got it hung. I had Rocky hang it in the dark corner of the big workroom/studio in the house. Now I have to remember where I put the little flame shaped light bulbs for safe keeping. If I can't find them then I have to go to a light bulb store because the base needed is the same as for those little night light bulbs.



I think today I'm going to have to take the trimmer for a spin. The little backyard is woefully overgrown, it was overgrown before but just shot up after all that rain, as well as the edges of all the flower beds. The tall grass and weeds are excellent cover for the mosquitoes that also liked all that rain.


 

20 comments:

  1. That's a pretty fancy chandelier. Now I'm wondering if you've ever made glass pieces for chandeliers. Or if those extra glass bits you made might find a home in a light fitting.. Just musing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that chandelier is an astonishing bit of work! There is so much going on there! Glad you got it up and almost working, Gorgeous. Personally I love finding good surprises in boxes of glass...It would be delightful to find the small corals in there, unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love that chandelier! It is just the exact sort of thing that makes my heart sing. I'm such a lover of fancy doo-dahs. I do not think of myself as girly but I suppose there is a bit of it in me.
    I'm just now taking a break from weeding. I couldn't stand not getting some work in the garden done for one more minute. I may need two showers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a tiny West African medicine box that's maybe an inch wide and two inches long. It's made of bronze, and has a lid with two birds on top. Inside, there are five little gold weights; I love the combination of the weights and the box. Every now and then, I take the lid off and shake out the weights to admire them, and then put them back. I vote for putting the corals loose into the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why my comment about the African medicine box showed up as 'anonymous.' Your page shows that I'm commenting as shoreacres, and it has my correct avatar. Odd.

      Delete
  5. Well now I can wait to see your new vision! I loved the corals you made & how that looked, but I'm sure the new look will be amazing too.

    I hardly dare hope for the midterms, but it has CERTAINLY been interesting lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful chandelier. I'm really happy you claimed it and made the claim stick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty pretty chandelier! You can get LED versions of those bulbs now, so it might be worth buying new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your keepsake. I have some things I can't bear to part with, too. My Grandmom's old secretary has followed me around for many years. None of my children want it, it is not all that valuable, except for the memories it brings. I have some really old pictures in frames of my great grandparents that people have asked to buy. I will never sell them. I can't display them, as I have no walls here in this tiny place. I have them tucked safely away and will pull them out and look at them from time to time. Makes me a little sad thinking what will become of them when I am just a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful chandelier. I am so glad that you found a place to hang it.
    Yes, things are getting very interesting in Washington. I am so glad that things are heating up nice and hot for you know who.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I daydream sometimes. What if everyone came out to vote. We could see the real will of the people.
    Anyway, that chandelier is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This box has been a challenge from the beginning it seems, but I am sure that it will all turn out well in the end. I think that putting the small pieces in the box is a great idea. It becomes a treasure chest right from the very beginning. My hopes are high that Democrats can sustain their momentum and begin the process of sweeping the Republicans to oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has and for the main reason that I was done with the series of boxes so instead of having an inspiration, I had to create something and I think it shows. But she wanted a box and I want to please her.

      Delete
  12. I vote that you put the coral pieces inside the box and let the buyer enjoy the extra treasure! And I didn't realize that so many of our covert operative were killed and/or compromised during trump's tenure but I am sadly not at all surprised. Why haven't I seen more stories on this? And that chandelier is a beauty, such old world romance in its details. Lovely save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not while he was in office but the year and a half since he's had the documents in his possession at MAL.

      Delete
  13. How great that you got your chandelier hung! As for the box, I vote for whatever you decide. You're the artist and the one with the vision. I'll appreciate it either way, I'm sure.

    I get all those political e-mails too. (Especially since I am a registered Democrat.) But I don't give to politicians or political parties either. Like you, I support organizations -- the ACLU, Planned Parenthood and the Southern Poverty Law Center.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has no become abundantly clear that the Republicans will never break from Trump, as an example I give you Miss Lindsey's comments yesterday about rioting in the streets if he is indicted. And as far as our agents/operatives being killed or disappearing, if one thinks there is no connection between that and the documents in his possession, then one hasn't been paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I say? Let them try. I am sick and tired of the Republican response of threats of violence whenever someone opposes them or attempts to hold them accountable. Call their bluff, let them try, let them pour into the streets and riot. They'll find out soon enough who has the greater firepower. They aren't going to like being treated like the BLM peaceful protesters were. Let them start shooting at law enforcement and see what happens.

      Delete
  15. Lovely fancy chandelier. I imagine cleaning it is a labour of love. Just make sure the hook holding it up is strong.
    I don't understand US politics in comparison to our versions of madness. Ours is more boring it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took me a couple of weeks to clean it with cotton swabs, one petal and leaf at a time. I've hosed it off a couple of times in the interim. Now that it's hung I should remember to use canned air to blow the dust off regularly. Will I do it? Probably not. It only weighs around 15 pounds, certainly less than 20 and the hook is good for 30.

      I don't understand our politics either.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.