Saturday, August 20, 2022

careful what you wish for


Right?

Friday - We started getting some rain, real rain, Thursday night. Rained hard enough for long enough that there was standing water on the side of the house but none in the ditch. No problem, it will soak right in. Then another bout of rain around 6 AM this morning for an hour or so. And then it started raining again about 9 AM. Hard. And it's been raining hard mostly since and at 11 AM we are surrounded by water and the ditch in front is flowing. This is the west side of the house where my stepping stones are almost all underwater. 



The houses' yards at the other end of the street were completely underwater, not up to the door but spittin' distance. The part of my house on pier and beam I'm not concerned about but the part on slab worries me. I really need to dig some drain channels to the ditch or bring in some topsoil for the lowest areas or both. Of course I think this every time it rains hard for hours and then when it stops I never follow up. Noon and it's still raining but not hard, the kind farmers like that just soak in instead of running off. Needless to say I didn't get over to the shop today. Even if I had wanted to drive across the street to the door in the pounding rain the noise would be deafening on the metal roof. More rain predicted for tomorrow but I think we've got the worst of it today.

There's a frog outside my window, not a little tree frog and not a big bullfrog but a big frog that I only ever see in my peripheral vision as it leaps away when I'm poking around in the foliage in the little backyard. That fucker is loud!

It finally stopped raining sometime between 1 and 2 PM. My funky little rain gauge showed 5 3/4” so almost 6” in less than 24 hours.

CleoCat is recovering just fine from her visit to the vet. The first time I forced her into the carrier when I took her in for a general check-up, she howled and tried to claw her way out all the way there. This time there was no getting her in the carrier, she fought and ran off. I finally dragged her out from under the bed, threw the dog blanket over her while Marc took the top off the carrier and I plunked her blanket wrapped struggling self in and slammed that top back on and had a hell of a time getting it latched in place. And then she was fine. Meowed a little on the drive but none of that frantic let me out shit.

Saturday – Ugh. 5 o'clock and I am whupped but I got the excess off the bottom of the box, flattened the top rim, and removed the rest of the excess on the inlay. No picture because visually the box and the inlay wouldn't show any real difference from the last pictures I posted. So now it's down to the fine tuning of fitting the inlay and the feet and doing whatever polishing needs to be done and then gluing it all together. I ordered the bag of dead coral pieces yesterday that will go inside when it's all done.

Here's a close up of the yellow rain lilies which yesterday's rain beat into mush.




20 comments:

  1. We had rain all day yesterday (Friday) too. No work for me, except at the computer. Thursday night we had a gangbusters thunderstorm with plenty of lightning, and lost power for a bit. It wasn't even an hour, though, so we were fine. Today we were supposed to get more rain, but it never showed up. All the birds and squirrels that kept to their nests yesterday spent the afternoon filling up on goodies. We're finally at the point where a few puddles are collecting, but for the most part everything still is soaking in. If I were smart, I'd devote some time to housecleaning while I'm kept in by rain, but I'm not that smart, or that enthusiastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one little shower that lasted maybe 10 or 15 minutes Saturday so I got a lot done. All that standing water had soaked in by Saturday mid-day.

      Delete
  2. THAT is a lot of water for y'all! Extremes, that is the fact of climate change. Glad the little miss kitty is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that uncommon really. What's changed are these long periods of no rain and the deluge seems to happen more frequently.

      Delete
  3. Well, I guess mother nature said you want rain? I'll show you rain, missy! I hope it soaks in and doesn't compromise your slab. I live on a slab, familiar concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so dry here. It had all soaked in by mid-day the next day. My retired farmer neighbor said we needed about 6" and that's what we got.

      Delete
  4. I looked at the map this morning (I think of you!) and decided you might get some rain, but it wouldn't be waist deep. I wasn't terribly wrong. The cat will get easier and easier to put into the carrier. I used to get Toby's carrier out and put it in his favorite chair, so he would know it was gonna happen; he just didn't know when because we spoke different languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the city got more than we did but we were so dry that the ground just sucked it up. Back in my 20s I took our cats to a vet that said to just put them in a pillow case and tie off the end, that they felt secure and it did work. Maybe I'll try that the next time I have to take her in.

      Delete
  5. Talk about some rain -- pass it on to me, if you please! Our hills are so dead brown now. Sheep ate anything that didn't move so it's all pretty much bare dirt. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully there's some roots holding the soil there so it won't get washed away when you do get rain.

      Delete
  6. The whole concept of moderate weather seems to be a thing of the past. It's either deluges and torrents or nothing at all. I hope there is no flooding where you live and it would be great if the heat would moderate for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We normally get a lot of rain. The city an hour's drive from here gets about 53" a year, we get about 47" though we are way down for the year. I guess the upside of deluge or drought is that when it does rain it soaks in instead of not and draining away. The ditches on our particular street needs to be regraded and some of the culverts replaced but Wharton is a poor county and after that rainy June last year the residents raised hell and all they did in response was to dig a scoop out at each end of every culvert which did absolutely nothing to alleviate the real problem.

      Delete
  7. Yes. This is how it goes, isn't it? When it rains...
    It's like mother nature is trying to catch up all in one day. That is a lot of rain for one 24 hour period. Everything's going to go crazy in the yard now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear everything already looks twice as big as it was. It's not unusual for this part of the gulf coast to get deluged, not common but not unusual over a lifetime. These long summer droughts of the past few years are what's unusual. It was so dry, all that water soaked in by mid-day the next day.

      Delete
  8. Wow! That's a lot of rain for one day. We would be completely flooded here if that happened.
    CleoCat is so lucky to have found her way into your heart home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a good rain yesterday too and everything looks so much greener.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Given our summer, all this rain still looks like a blessing to me! But I guess I'd feel differently if it were creeping up to my door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would gladly take some of that rain off you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I'm glad you got all that rain since you needed it! We had some torrential downpours last night (woke me up, but not enough to investigate), but we did NOT need it. So soggy around here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weather is crazy, one extreme to another.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.