Thursday, January 16, 2020

pending bathroom re-do and lesson #2


Years ago, years before Harvey, the toilet in the big bathroom got rocky and a little leaky and so Marc pulled it up to find that the subfloor underneath was rotten. He patched in new plywood and reseated the toilet and all was good. Now, two and a half years after the flood when the subfloor got soaked from underneath, the toilet is once again rocky and a little leaky. After the repairs and renovations from Harvey there were only two rooms in the house that have not been upgraded since we purchased this property...the big bathroom except for the flooring I replaced several years ago 

 

and the small bedroom Marc uses for his office which didn't get so much a new coat of paint before he took it over. So now that we have to pull the toilet up again and repair or replace the sub floor, we're going to update the whole bathroom, well, most of it. I like my turquoise tub and the vinyl flooring that has been discontinued and the upper cabinets on either side of the mirror are handy but need to be freshened up. I want to replace the built-in vanity with a furniture piece with a marble top and the sink in the middle in front of the mirror instead of off to one side like it is now and I want to replace the wallboard around the bottom of the walls and around the tub/shower with tile. I think. Definitely tile around the tub/shower. I may use bead board again on the wall behind the vanity and under the window. And so I've been looking at vanities and I think this one is my first choice (second choice is very similar)...


I'll lose 10” of counter space but that's fine as we don't really use all the counter space we have now and this is the longest one I can find that has two drawers and three cabinets which is basically what we have now. I could find 60” vanities but they all have one cabinet and multiple drawers and I need the cabinets more than I need more drawers.

Yesterday was my second watercolor lesson. We made a color wheel and I made one mistake on mine using the wrong blue (turquoise) instead of blending the color like I was supposed to.


Then we practiced brush strokes with a round pointy brush and a square flat brush


and then we painted a picture using the brush strokes we practiced. The instructor had two examples for us to emulate shown below.

     

This was the one I did...


Not too shabby.




15 comments:

  1. It would appear after what? Two years? that Mr. Moon is finally coming to the end of his bathroom restoration and redo. He can now brush his teeth in his own bathroom. Success!
    I like your turquoise tub too.
    And by the way- I'd hang your painting on a wall in my house. I'm not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hey, you CAN paint. I'll buy the other painting, Mary got in there first.

    We've been pushing the bathroom renovations for 20 years now, always something more important. Now I am ready to leave things as they are and pass it on to the next generation or owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the instructor did the first two paintings posted together, only the last one is mine. but 4 more lessons to go!

      Delete
  3. your water colored paintings are wonderful! You get a star and an A+
    our bathroom took over four years to complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the instructor did the first two flower paintings.

      Delete
  4. Wow. You are an artist through and through. I am not surprised at all that YOURS is as good as the teacher's!! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bathroom vanity you're considering. Vanities with legs look so nice. We keep thinking about doing the bathrooms, but it would cost the earth, they're working fine; they're just old.
    Your watercolor is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a starting point on the color wheel?
    I like that vanity, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the watercolour Ellen (should you be taking the class?) Looking forward to seeing all your stages of progress in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up trying to be a painter when I was 20 and haven't used watercolors since I was a kid so it's really a new skill for me. besides, it gets me out of the house and makes me play with a different art technique once a week.

      Delete
  8. We redid our bathroom 8 years ago and had Rebath do it for us. It cost us about $5ooo. They took out the tub and window and replaced it with a nice large shower and a frosted glass window. It was worth every penny. We also replaced the water heater with a point of use water heater. That alone has saved us $5o a month in gas. We took out the floor ourselves and had slate put in and we put beadboard on the ceiling. It looks 1oo% better and I don't miss the tub one bit.
    Your water color flowers are so much better than the teacher's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're keeping the tub even though neither of us has ever used it for resale value. not that we ever expect to sell the house and move on but no tub limits who might buy the house later. families with small children need a bathtub.

      Delete
  9. Wow! Your watercolor looks great! Definitely better than I could do. I like your bathroom plans, and I'm glad you're keeping the turquoise tub. Colored fixtures often get discarded for no reason these days, and I think they look cool and retro. (Unless they're some hideous color, which, fortunately, turquoise is not.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the picture showing the different brush strokes looked really nice too - it could be a little piece of art all on its own. And I love the vanity you've picked out! If we owned our house instead of renting I would get rid of the giant round tub in the master bath & maybe put my makeup table in there. But then where would Pinky & Rita live in the winter?

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.