Tuesday, September 30, 2014

pursuits and illumination


I have a list of exhibitions on my marker board with the dates for submission. I decided that I would start again, submitting to juried exhibitions and publications (there is a book to be published of cast work). I don't know where I expect that to lead me. Recognition, at least among my peers, or rather reconnection. Gallery representation perhaps though I still am not very prolific with my work. The last several years have been pretty full with commission work for which I am grateful, so I don't know exactly what I want to get out of it.

With the deadline today for submission to a publication, New Glass Review, published every year by the Corning Museum, I selected three of the Botanicas and rephotographed them and I readied and submitted my entry yesterday. This is the first time in very many years that I have submitted to it but, what the hell.

I was supposed to start the full size art work for our last-one-on-the-books commission yesterday so that's what I'm doing today.

Also yesterday we finally put the new light fixture up. You might remember that I commissioned Carol Nickol to make me a light fixture like one she had in her home that I had seen when we visited one day of the residency last year. I received it a week or so ago and we finally got it up. It was going to go in the dining room but now I have the chandelier from the old city house. If I ever get it cleaned up, we will put it in the dining room. So now the new one hangs in the room where I spend most my time. No complaints about that.



Pretty cool, don't ya think? Now I think I need another, different, one to go on the other ceiling fixture in that room.






13 comments:

  1. Oh- it's beautiful! And I wish you much luck with the submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how it's gonna go with NGR, but good on ya anyways. You can't win if you don't play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty neat, indeed! and i'm glad you're submitting your works, again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Competition can keep us fluid and focused at once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the good old days of due dates for applications. I kept them in a folder, by due date. So glad that's done; however, I wish you complete success with every submission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this light fixture is terrific. It's so different. Love the critter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always nice to receive awards and recognition. You can talk shop all day. I like the light, a unique find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I love that light fixture! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a funky light fixture! I love the little lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and good for you for submitting. It's good to get "out there," I suppose, even if a definite goal is uncertain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, cool!
    One regret I have is not seeing the Corning museum in upstate NY when my daughter was nearby. Dangit. A glass museum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for submitting. Good luck! And yes, that fixture is way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The light fixture is fabulous. Exotic.

    I'm glad you're going to exhibit again, for whatever reasons. It's wonderful that others will have a chance to look at your work. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.