Thursday, March 24, 2011

more shop talk



I've been working very diligently all week doing the cold work to finish these pieces and still they are not finished but I'm a lot closer.












The moon box needs it's 'stars' that go inside, small pieces of frit heated up in the kiln until they ball up. Need to get the kiln-wash brush back from my sister and I hope she still has it so I can kiln wash the shelf to fire the frit.










The wren box needs two feet cast to replace the ones I broke. I have the waxes ready for firing. It also needs the excess glass ground off the top. That will take an excursion into town to work in my friend's studio on her big flat lap. I also need to get the stick cast in bronze that goes on the top. I could cast it in glass, but I really want to do it in bronze.











The top to the memory box needs to have the excess glass ground off it as well and I need to work on the images for the pictures that go inside. Once I have the images ready, then I will have to get emulsion stencils made to sandblast the images on pieces of thin sheet glass. Rubbing a little paint or stain into the sandblasted surface will bring them out. On the other hand, I have two 'letters' that I cast and never used. hmmmmm










I'm back to square one with the moonflower box. I just don't like the way the box part came out (big error on my part caused the mold not to be made in two parts but I tried to salvage it to less than stellar results). I've been trying very hard to like it but I think I'm going to have to re-do it. I may not even put the vine and leaves on this time. I'm thinking it just distracts from the top which is beautiful. Also, I decided it needed four feet instead of three. The fourth is cast but it too needs the excess glass ground off. So any opinions on if I should make the new box plain or with the vine of leaves?








While I was at it, I flattened the backs of these little face baubles for a friend of mine who is a jeweler. A little surprise for him.













I had the gallery send back the bee box. It hasn't sold and now I think I want to glue the flowers onto the outside of the box. That was my original idea several years ago when I first made this piece but then I kind of liked the way it looked with the flowers scattered on the shelf around it. Now I'm thinking that keeping up with all those loose little flowers might be a deterrent for a buyer. I haven't even started on this one because I need to do a little grinding on all the flowers and glue them on as I go.









I also tried to make a reproduction mold of one of the leaves I'm doing for the upcoming gallery show. I used silicone caulk which works great for some things and I figured out how to make a two part mold, which this needed but unfortunately, the quality of the reproductions is crap so this is not the way to go. I'm shelving this idea for now and am going to go ahead and cast these models. Maybe I'll pursue it again later when I have the right materials for the reproduction mold and time to make the models again. Don't have time now as I need to get these pieces finished for the show.





Hopefully I'll have everything I need cast by the middle of next week (except for the moonflower box) and can head in town for a day at my friend's studio. Then all I'll have to do is assemble everything.


21 comments:

  1. Your work always evokes such a calming feeling. It must be the feeling the glass evokes. Whatever it is, it is wonderful. The Olde Bagg, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. your work is so beautiful. i love the box with the open flower on top. i think a vine of leaves climbing up the side would be totally breathtaking.

    i wish i could create such things of beauty. how calming that must be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these things! I'm thinking plain for the moonflower box - but I kind of like the one it has too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what you are doing, what you are talking about with your art, I am just amazed! How is it possible that you could create such wonders- I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your work, the big planning, the small details of execution. Creativity and craftmanship working together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frenetic activity, my head is spinning - it's wonderful when it all slips into place and I look forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The moon box is lovely but I especially love the white moonflower.

    Its spring and you are full of inspiration again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow ellen. when i look at these works i can feel my heart racing. the moonbox - i got covetous just looking at it. steven

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have gotten me all inspired! Loving your boxes...they are all beautiful!
    The moonflower box is fab and four feet will really add to it's beauty. I am not convinced that it needs vines and leaves on it...maybe leaves but not too sure. It is so elegant!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recognize those faces!.. in a larger size. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The moon box looks amazing and I think you're right when it comes to adding the flowers to the item that was sent back. The flowers look so delicate that it might be kind of a scary to move them around, then again I don't like the idea of covering up all the green.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're all such pretty creations. When you set them all out in photos like this, I see a recognizable quality in them that is you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! The little face beads! Fantastic. I want a ring or a necklace with one of them. Wow.

    The wren box! The memory box! All of the boxes.

    Damn you're good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work and talent are amazing!

    Are you able to rework the pieces that do not come out just right? Like the moon flowerbox you are not pleased with, can it be remelted and used for something else?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang! I'll take one of each of those pieces.
    What beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, looks like you're on a roll! Everything is lovely and you are so talented! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are an incredible artist. Thanks for giving us a peak.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd offer to help with the bronze, but the shipping would be ten times what the bronze cost. Maybe you guys need to make a little backyard foundry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the good words.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love watching you work, Ellen. Fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.