Saturday, March 5, 2011

the last blast


I think our last cold front of the season is blowing in. It's windy and overcast and the much needed and promised rain passed us by last night. It is an unwelcoming sight out there and even the birds are mostly quiet and hunkered down though I see a little wren out my window hopping from branch to branch on the tallow and peering around.

I don't mind these late season cold fronts, not like I do the dead of winter ones, because I know that pretty soon the long hot summer will be upon us. These last few cold and windy days give me an excuse to stay indoors all day and work in the studio because once the green really gets growing it demands maintenance.

The garden has been turned and is still waiting for planting, waiting for this last blast of cold air. My neighbor has put out his 'vegetable plants for sale' sign so soon we will be choosing which tomatoes and trying to decide if we want to try squash again. Probably not. The squash vine borers have got our plants every time before.

Well, the sky has cleared somewhat but it is still extremely windy out, the cold cutting through our clothes. Enough to send me scurrying back inside. The cat has better sense and has been curled up on my bed all morning.

update – the fourth attempt at the panel proved to be the charm. Now to set up the installation for next week and get paid. Still waiting for new work to come in, trying to be patient and upbeat. Still working on my marketing efforts, trying to raise our visibility. Every day we are one day closer to a new job.


13 comments:

  1. I love having a garden too, but it does call for me to be out there most days. I've got a few more months though to immerse myself inside, we do our planting mid-May. Even then, there's danger of frost at night, but I risk it and take the early start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sisters have the salad garden planted...things the cold won't hurt.

    The jobs will come.

    I wish you rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're having that last blast of nasty weather also... snowing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    I saw your picture on Gail's site At the Farm an' jus' hadda' pop over an' take a look. I was hopin' to see that you had saddled that Flamingo an' went ridin' off into the sunset. 'Course, I guess if you had a flamingo that big you'd be more likely to have it give a good talkin' to your cows, wouln't you? That's what I'd do, anyway. I'd wanna' make sure those cattle got the message that size was important. Nice to meet you.

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, we were jus' informed that the worst blizzard of the season is waiting on the horizon. Wouln'tcha' like some of it?

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete
  6. It actually rained here today too - Only for about 5minutes but it was definitely exciting!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though my days have been sunny ones...still too early here to even consider preparing the gardens. Still below freezing at night! Brrr! But spring is around the corner. Planting here can commence the end of May; beginning of June!! Sigh!! Soon...soon!!!
    Rainy days are perfect read a good book time!! Enjoy!
    Hugs
    SueAnn
    PS Still waiting for work here too!! Good luck on your newest install!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm ready for spring too!
    Hopefully it gets here soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's easier to be gracious when you know it can't last. The same thing happens to me at the end of summer. After griping about the heat for months suddenly I get sentimental.

    ReplyDelete
  10. waiting impatiently for warmer weather to arrive; spent a very cold day working in the garden yesterday.

    Spring will come, work will come, it was ever thus.
    To everything there is a season . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, kitty has the right idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah - great news on the 4th panel. Continued luck with the project.
    The snow is beginning to dissipate, brown patches revealing themselves! We hit near 60 today - but it won't be staying that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had a smidge of snow today & temps in the 30s. And yet Mike took pictures of flowers on his way home from school this week. So spring IS coming. Really. Just not today exactly :)

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.