I spent Tuesday morning dealing with two issues. One was reordering one of my meds through their website and they’ve changed the secure log-in to a different system and the website refused to recognize me so I finally called and got that taken care of and then I created the new account (we found you!) with the new system so hopefully I can just go online next time. The other issue was trying to find out why I had not received any royalty payments since last November. I inherited some mineral and oil/gas rights that had been played out long before they came to me but new technology had an oil company looking again and they brought in three wells so that was a nice surprise. These wells have changed hands several times and so in early May I emailed the current owner asking why I had not received any royalty payments for the past 5 months. They responded that my inquiry was assigned to a case manager who would get in touch with me. Three months later, nothing so I called and pleasantly, I didn’t have to wait more than about 15 or 20 minutes to talk to a human. While I was waiting I went on the owner portal only to discover we had received a payment that morning. The woman who answered my call told me that the case manager was still investigating my inquiry but she looked at whatever she looked at and while it wasn’t a complete answer she did say that it looked like the wells hadn’t been producing much. I know that when the price of oil gets too low per barrel, oil companies will shut down some wells until the price goes up and maybe that’s what happened.
Other than that I’m back in the in-between state, finished one project but haven’t started another. There’s a drawing I’ve been wanting to do for a friend but I’m also jazzed by the shadow box. I’ve done a few little thumbnail sketches of some possibles. While I thought about that yesterday I spent a good deal of the day reading Artemis by Andy Weir, his third novel after The Martian and Project Hail Mary.
Until I decide this might be a good time to do a 100 objects post. I just did a brief count, 32, of the paintings/prints or sculptures I have either bought or traded for in our collection excluding the four paintings I inherited from my parents, the bowl forms which I think I will present as one object, and my own work. I’ve pondered if the entire collection should be considered one object or each piece a separate object. I guess we’ll see how desperate I get for an entry. So, object #11 is this lithograph bought in 1979 at an outdoor festival, Elephant March by Nancy Louice (or Louwie, hard to read the signature).
Not the first piece I bought but a very early one. It is desperately in need of reframing, currently in the frame Marc made for it out of rough cedar. It’s a little the worse for wear having never been professionally framed.
One more thing. I was out walking around the yard yesterday and this caught my eye.
That green leaf sticking up from the stubs of the bridal bouquet plumeria that froze to the ground last winter because it was just too heavy and big to dig up the sunken pot and haul it to the garage when it would have to be cut back to even fit in the garage is new growth. You might remember I did eventually dig the pot out of the ground because I wanted to use it for something else and when I did I just plonked the root ball back in the hole because orange cosmos were growing in it and I had to fill the hole with something. There’s actually another little leaf growing just below and to the right that is hard to see. So, I’m amazed. We’ll see how big it gets before winter comes back around.



Codex
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the high from the shadow box. First one that inspired me. (Scrapbookers make them but meh)
What inspired me was a small ceramic wall ornament, sort of a cove with a little bird sitting in it. Haven't seen any scrapbooker stuff.
DeleteCodex
DeleteI won't find the image but someone had painted an owl in realistic style. Made a gazillion copies and then buildt up layers of three dimensions. The belly had the most layers. It was incredible. Put it in shadow box. Is there a past tense word for put?
Oh, is there anything more thrilling than seeing signs of life on a plant which has apparently been dead for months?
ReplyDeleteI think not!
Nice elephant parade.
I know! Made me go check the other plumeria that was planted and froze to the ground but nope, that one is goners.
DeleteOh, how I love volunteer plants! I do like the frame itself that Elephant March is in, but yeah they need some tender loving care and a mat would set it off nicely. We once had an investment in wine grapes. It was a start-up and a major tax write off in 1982. It turned into a legal disaster (not for us) and we figured it would remain worthless. 16 years later, they were cleared of all legal issues, and we completely renovated our kitchen, our back garden, built a custom deck, and installed a jacuzzi. THAT won’t be happening in our lives again!
ReplyDeleteI figured these had played out since I first started getting checks in 2012 and I was just looking for confirmation so it was a surprise to get another deposit. The money from these wells (and the gentrification of our inner city neighborhood when we sold our house) really set us up for retirement with no debts after living hand to mouth as working artists.
DeleteNothing makes me happier than a plant I thought was dead comes slowly back to life! I love the elephants. I am looking for a project to be passionate about that will get me out of the current care-giving role I am in!
ReplyDeleteYeah, a big surprise. Sometimes it takes months but I think this is the longest time when I've had a dead plant come back. Get thee to Wit's End!
DeleteThat little green shoot is a source of inspiration, a testament to the resilience of nature.
ReplyDeleteAnd patience.
DeleteYour story about your med provider changing systems reminded me of the two days I recently spent trying to get back into my bank's new digital log in system. They changed everything to make things secure, but they made it so secure it took a personal visit to the bank and some time with two employees to figure out how to get me into my own account. I suppose any twelve-year-old hacker could have done it in a minute.
ReplyDeleteLove the plumeria shoot. Nature will find a way!
And when the whole system gets hacked and goes down nobody can get assess. It seems convenient to be able to bank on your phone until something shuts it all down.
DeleteLove the elephant march - makes me think of the Jungle Book. We had the album of the music from the movie and I loved the elephant one. (Unless I'm misremembering & there wasn't such a song. Hmm - must go look!).
ReplyDeleteHere is is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZN_yzhUdu4
Deletecute!
DeleteGood for you, tracking down the well royalties. Here's hoping they owe you more!
ReplyDeleteThe elephant march print is interesting. Have you ever Googled any of the artists whose work you own -- particularly from long ago -- to see what became of them and their other pieces? I wonder what else is out there by Nancy Louice (or Louwie).
I tried googling both versions of this woman's name but I don't think any of the results were her. Unfortunately, I've been terrible about writing down titles and artist names of many of the pieces I have and I've forgotten. I suppose I could search individual images for names so maybe I'll try that.
DeleteMy grandfather had some oil wells in southern Indiana that were paying tiny amounts of income. Like $20 checks per month. After my mom died my brother needed to get documentation for the deeds or whatever for estate purposes. He ended up at a dilapidated house in some tiny hamlet near the Ohio river with half the roof caving in and some old gnome who searched through and finally found the deeds. I think the wells were worth about $150.
ReplyDeleteMy maternal uncle (by marriage) was an estate lawyer in a small town in East Texas and when the client couldn't pay he would accept trades which is how he got all these various oil and mineral rights, also some really fabulous antiques. When he died they went to my aunt, when she died they went to my mother. When she moved into a family home she had to divest herself of any and all assets so she signed them over to me. They were worthless at the time, not a single penny. But then every now and then some oil company would want to explore those old sites and we would get a check, the amount depending on the acreage, sort of rent but nothing ever came of any of it until one company actually dug three wells.
DeletePlumeria are amazing. We declared ours dead by frost and both are now flowering madly. I like the elephants, just finished reading a book about how elephants communicate in the wild (Silent Thunder - Katy Payne) and yes, they make calls too deep for human ears, communicating over vast distances, like whales.
ReplyDeleteI love them but I have too many even after I've given a few of them away. I'm glad yours came back.
DeleteElephants are amazing intelligent creatures.