Sunday, July 19, 2026

flowers and critters and pots and art


A big surprise came in the mail on Saturday, a check from the gallery. After all these years she sold the four small botanicas she had, I assume to the same person. These pieces are 4.5" x 4.5" x 1.25"/1.5" deep.


These views give you an idea of how three dimensional they are (couldn't find side views of the other two).


I’ve been seeing a butterfly migrate through for days now, one I have never seen before; small, black with white tips on its wings. I finally did an image search and it isn’t a butterfly at all but a day flying moth, White-tipped Black (Melanchroia chephise). I haven’t seen them light on anything so here’s a picture from the internet. Image via: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/321697-Melanchroia-chephise


Walked out the backdoor the other morning to see a spider web glistening in the sun and at the center the spider was busy securing a small dragonfly it had caught.



The rangoon creeper has really liked this rain. It has been blooming profusely. The flowers are white when they open, pink midday, and red in the evening.


More work on the shadow box during the week. I think I’ve solved all the problems but I still need to do the painting of the robin. I meant to start that on Friday but Mikey called from across the street because Paisleigh wanted to come over so after lunch I walked across the street and fetched her. She stayed for about four hours. She helped me mix up some potting soil and manure and compost and repot one of the plants after I had to drill holes in the bottoms of all six of the pots I got a week and a half ago. Did you know plastic pots don’t come with predrilled holes in the bottom? Neither did I. They had one 1/2” hole with a plug you had to punch out with a hammer and screwdriver. I drilled two more 5/8” holes in the smaller pots and three more in the bigger pots. 


Saturday I mowed the little backyard and then mixed up more potting soil and repotted the big pink angel trumpet and the big yellow angel trumpet and that was it for working outside. I worked on the shadow box building up the thickness of the background to shorten the overall depth of the box. I think this is going to work. If I get it right, all the leaves and the robin will be attached to the back and the whole thing will just slide in.


Finally started on the robin today.


Finally, from the Department of How Stupid Can They Be? (the answer is stupider than you think), Trumplethinskin is going to call up Canada to bitch and threaten sanctions while several senators have dispatched a letter forthwith to the Canadian Government chastising them for poor forest management because the smoke from their wildfires is invading our air and what are you going to do about it! As if Canada controls the wind because yeah, they obviously sent that smoke down here on purpose. Maybe next time the PNW and California is on fire Canada won’t send their firefighters to help which they have routinely done in the past.




11 comments:

  1. I've seen that black and white moth twice: once at the Attwater Prairie Chicken Refuge, and once just sitting on a dock at a local marina. I found the photo from Attwater; I took it in October of 2020, for heavens' sake. I can remember a photo from six years ago; just don't ask me where my car keys are. Those botanicas are beautiful -- congrats on their sale! I like the look in the eye of your robin; it seems inquisitive and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops. They changed their procedures on me again -- that's me up above.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your sale! That spiderweb is really amazing - such an intricate work of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This wildfire thing is crazy, but the last Louise Penny book I read (Inspector Gamache) basically had this as part of the plot! Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m no longer surprised by Drumpf’s stupidity. I used to think, “Well, it can’t get more ridiculous than this.”

    Photos are wonderful today and I absolutely love your art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stellar Saturday surprise to get that gallery check after all these years, especially since those three dimensional botanicas are such beautiful, detailed little pieces. Figuring out that mysterious visitor was a day flying moth is pretty cool, though that poor little dragonfly getting caught in the glistening web is pure nature drama. Drilling holes into brand new plastic pots is such a hidden chore, but having Paisleigh help mix up the soil must have made the repotting go by much faster. The shadow box project is coming together so well, the start on that robin looks wonderful. Hopefully the rest of your angel trumpets enjoy their roomy new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Codex
    Decades of a peaceful country helping more than others. Canada sent emergency staff into 9/11...
    https://globalnews.ca/news/11969816/canada-us-wildfire-support/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Codex
    Us/can share forests. BCs air quality just as affected when there were us wildfires. They used to manage it together. Aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C9dex sorry. One of those days. BC pilot died a week ago helping Colorado wildfires...

      Delete
  8. Congrats on selling them. They're pretty amazing. Is it always opaque?

    Robin looks good.
    Codex

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, you just can not fix stupid.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.