Ta-da!
All the pieces glued on the background/spacer.
Here’s what it looks like from underneath.
The shadow box.
The finished shadow box.
I think it came out pretty good for a first try. It looks great straight on but if viewed from the side you can see the thick foam core backing on the robin.
I hadn’t anticipated that. Maybe it should have been a much smaller pedestal. Something to consider on the next one. I had a hard time getting a good well lit picture with no reflection. I finally had to hang it on the wall in my bedroom. I’ll have to use a white oil pen on the black back to sign it.
I got another plant repotted Saturday, sweat dripping off me by the time I finished. I moved the two angel trumpets back to their previous spots after sitting in complete shade for a week while they settled into their new pots. Later I went out to check on them looking a little droopy and spotted this cluster under one of the pink angel trumpet leaves…baby spiders! They’re about the size of the head of a pin.
And then I saw this little green tree frog perched on the stem of the same leaf. It’s about an inch long.
A few more, the swamp lily is blooming.
Saturday’s sunset.










Came out really well.like how it looks through glass. Like a shrimp.
ReplyDeleteLol. Like a scrim. Codex.
Thanks. Don't know what you mean by scrim even after I looked up the definition.
DeleteScrim is a see-through net used in theater to give it an atmospheric look. Codex.
DeleteFirst, I LOVE the shadow box! Beautifully imagined and beautifully done. Great photos today.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mitchell.
DeleteThe little Green Frog could probably make a tasty snack of the spiderlings.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I was thinking.
DeleteGreat work, it really is so full of life and as always your blogging about the whole process makes it all the more interesting and shows so much about your creativity.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sabine. Problem solving on the fly.
DeleteMy goodness, there’s a lot going on on the leaf!
ReplyDeleteThe shadow box is fabulous
Thanks Marty. I love coming across those baby spiders. The first time I saw some they were all clustered together in a tight little ball but would scatter out if they felt a disturbance.
DeleteI love how the shadow box turned out! Great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Bug/Dana!
DeleteThe shadow box looks great!
ReplyDeleteSuch fabulous skies!
Thanks Ellen. We have been getting some good sunsets from all the dust.
DeleteYes, yes, yes! The shadow box came out so well! I would have no idea how to hide that foam backing. Paint or color it to blend more with the backing? Eh, what do I know?
ReplyDeleteNot much.
I have two giant pots sitting empty on my swing porch and I so want to plant something new in them. The macha ferns that were in them died long ago but I can't move the pots and they get so very little light on that porch. Glen could do it but I hate to ask him. He's so busy. They have dirt in them but even if I emptied them, I think they would still be too heavy for me to handle. I will contemplate this situation.
I love those little green froggies.
Thanks Mary. Turns out seeing the foam core isn't really an issue unless you are right up on it and looking from an angle but just on the wall and looking at it as anywone would normall, you don't see it.
DeleteI have a two wheel hand cart I move big pots with. As long as I can lift one side enough to get the edge of the plate under the pot I can usually drag it the rest of the way on and move them that way.
I didn't quite have the final form of the shadow box in mind, but it's great. Thinking about it after seeing how the elements were mounted, I 'm sure we did shadow boxes when I was in grade school art class. I'd forgotten about them. Your swamp lily looks for all the world like the crinum lily I posted about: both the flowers and the leaves. I just looked up other common names for the crinum, and found that southern swamp lily is one. I'll be they're the same plant.
ReplyDeleteOh, crap. Blogger isn't saving our signins any more. It's me.
DeleteYour final piece is stunningly gorgeous, Ms. Ellen. Inspiring me to draw again.
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda Sue. Your art always inspires me so get to it!
DeleteThe robin turned out great. I don't think it's a huge problem that the foam core is visible. And I love the spiders and the frog! Wild Kingdom!
ReplyDeleteThanks Steve. Turns out once hung on the wall, you can't see the foam core at all unless you are right up on it looking from an angle.
DeleteMore shadow boxes please. We had a massive storm that knocked out power, just a month after a massive storm that knocked out power, after a massive storm tow weeks before that that... In 2003, James Lovelock said "Enjoy the next 20 years, because the shit hits the fan after that" or words to that effect
ReplyDeleteThe shadow box is lovely. Not many will view it from the side such that they’ll see the riser I think. But it’s fascinating how you’re already refining your process for the next time.
ReplyDelete