Friday, July 24, 2026

dusty skies, arting, and more miscellania of my life


We’ve been getting Saharan dust like we do every summer but Tuesday morning when I opened the garage not just the sky looked hazy but the very air looked dusty. This was the sunset Wednesday night. My eye saw a uniform light orange/pink sky but the camera saw this.



I finished the painting of the robin. I procrastinated doing it until there was nothing else I could do until I did it because I thought it was going to be difficult and I would have to start over at least once but it turned out to be not that hard. Once I had the head done the rest was fairly indistinct, just added a few pencil lines in the wings to give them a little definition. Now I’m ready to cut it out and add the foam core backing and make my final determination about the spacing and then glue it all together. I’m almost done y’all!


And now days later I’ve got all that done. 

So today I’m working on gluing the leaves and the robin to the background/backing and hopefully it will all line up with the edge of the background (which is blue sky) and I can slide (more like gently push it in since it's a fairly snug fit) the whole mess into the shadow box. This is the nerve wracking part, getting everything lined up with the edges but not over. Still a little concerned about a shadow being cast across the top. I'm already considering the next one, a yellow angel trumpet and a shallower shadowbox.


A while back either I read or someone told me that if you cut off the butt end of celery and put it in water it will continue to grow. So I tried it, figured if it developed roots I’d plant it. Well, it did start growing and has started sending out roots! Can you see the little roots in the second picture? I may never have to buy celery again!


But then I talked to my neighbor who tried it and when his had a good healthy set of roots he planted it in dirt and it promptly died. So maybe I’ll try a hydroponic approach.


I’ve been seeing more butterflies; hairstreaks earlier in the summer (though I surprised one yesterday tucked down in a flower) and fritillaries now, a few sulfurs, and a satyr comma. Unfortunately I didn’t have my phone on me so no pictures.


SHARE was moderately busy yesterday, steady food orders but not overwhelming. It also rained for about an hour yesterday evening, starting just as I was leaving for yoga but Thursday’s class is here in Wharton so I drove through it. Had it been in El Campo, I would have stayed home. And of course it rained. I had just earlier watered all the pots and refreshed the two birdbaths and two small animal water stations in the yard.


A few more miscellaneous pics. I never showed the room Robin (mostly) and I painted (nothing is back on the walls yet). The cone ginger has sent up its cones and its little cream flowers. Seems a bit early. And the phlox is blooming.





1 comment:

  1. Love the robin surrounded by those attractive leaves. They really complement each other nicely. I'd never heard that celery could be rooted that way. I'm not fond enough of it to give it a try, and I don't have a place to plant it, anyway. I suppose I could try it in a pot, out of curiosity, but I'd probably end up throwing it away. I rarely buy an entire stock; instead, I got with the smallest pack of HEB precut sticks. It's less waste in the end.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.