Monday, August 3, 2026

high grass, toddler in the house, water issues, a frog and a flower



You might remember that my neighbor on the east side sold his house in January 2025. Montreal had an acre, the house on one half and a fenced backyard. When he owned it he kept it tidy and mowed and the low tree branches trimmed and kept the wild space on the south border in check and I had a clear view across the property to the crop field on the other side of the county road. It is a corner property bordered by my street and the county road it ends at. I thought the new owner, who lives in a different small town, was going to live there after they did some renovation and fixing up of the house but no, they rented it out. The people that live in the house only mow around the house and the fenced backyard. The rest of the property should be maintained by the owner and yet they don’t. It has only been mowed twice in the last 19 months. One of the native pecan trees now has branches grazing the ground, all kinds of small and large branches hidden by the various grasses which are waist to chest high on me, the wild space continues to creep across the property line unchecked, and my view from where I sit in the mornings of the corn or cotton field is blocked. I’ve taken pictures but they just don’t really convey how high the grasses are. It does have some goldenrod growing in it so at least something will be blooming this fall unless it gets mowed between now and then. I don’t really mind it being overgrown though since it’s providing habitat.


Friday night was my night to fix dinner and I had been planning on making butternut/sweet potato/cashew soup. I know, summer and hot outside, but I had a butternut squash from the garden and I had bought two sweet potatoes previously with this in mind since the one butternut I had wasn’t enough for the recipe. So, of course I started a little late and cut the butternut in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, and put it in the oven to roast while I peeled and cut up the sweet potatoes and put them on to boil when I was looking over the recipe and realized I didn’t have any coconut milk. Poot. I usually review any recipe I’m considering for my two nights before I go to the grocery store on Tuesdays to add whatever ingredients to the list. Apparently I failed to see the coconut milk. So turn off the stove, jump in the car and get the coconut milk. Back home I’m ready to add the spices and realize I don’t have any coriander. Well, double poot. Called my neighbor at the other end of the street who I thought would have some because I know she’s a good cook, turn the stove off again and rush down to her house. Anyway, I got the soup made and dinner was only an hour later than we usually eat. I had originally planned to make a small salad to go with it but by that time I was all, yeah, no; soup and naan will have to do. It was really good.


Sarah came Saturday with Paisleigh and 18 month old Harrison. Paisleigh, who will be 5 in October, starts preschool on the 11th, has already met her teacher and classmates. The teacher would not allow the parents in the room for the two hours or so they were there. Six year old Carlie from the other end of the street came down to play and then soon they ran down to her house because…toys, which Great Grandma doesn’t have much of. Harrison had the house to himself to explore. Pics...Harrison with his Granny, in the kitchen, sleepy boy.




The rain we hoped would come this weekend did not so I’ve been moving the sprinkler around once again. Sunday late morning it was 88˚, real feel 108˚, predicted high 100˚ and who knows what the real feel was. Read a headline the other day, farmers are already sounding the alarm, crops are failing or doing poorly. The planet is poised to tip over into the uninhabitable region for humans heatwise. Rivers are drying up, too hot, too damn hot and they are building water guzzling data centers in regions that already barely have enough water. People’s wells will dry up but hey, the surveillance state needs a place to store all our movements and social media posts. Speaking of water, Txxxx and Hxxxxxx bombed water infrastructure sites in Iran and all signs point to Iran being behind the cyber attacks on US water supplies in Michigan, Minnesota, and five other states (why would they not retaliate in kind?) Guess who Txxxx blames, Iran? No, of course not, he blames democrat Governor Walz for the attacks in Minnesota. 


When I was watering in the front yesterday I spotted this tree frog hanging out in this birdhouse. Once the birds are through nesting tree frogs often take up residence.



This bearded iris surprised me yesterday. They are supposed to bloom in the spring and they do but now this and another one I saw earlier in the summer long after they would usually bloom.



Still not motivated to start a new drawing or shadow box, reading instead, halfway through Artemis by Andy Weir.


 

26 comments:

  1. Those kids are adorable. What a great tree frog house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is devotion I must say- all of that running around for the perfect soup for dinner! You are a treasure!
    Fron in the house is adorable. Print worthy! Or art, which you do so well.
    That baby boy's curly locks and baby chub is so adorable I nearly lactated. If I had ovaries they would have dumped what ever eggs remained ! What a darling baby boy he is!

    Grass seeds floating all over your well groomed property is not great. Perhaps you could have it mowed and send the bill to the owner of the the land. That is so irresponsible- not good neighboring...even if they don't feel oblic=]gated to pay to have it mowed , at least they would be made aware.

    iran needs to nuke the already demolished capital , Preferably while the minions are gathered in the W.H. zone. Fed up with this nonsense!- Iran could be our saving grace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FROG not fron...of course. Auto correct is trying to make me a better person but rarely succeeds. It know that my proofreading is shite.

      Delete
  3. I imagine a birdhouse is a pretty great find for a tree frog. (As long as there are no birds in it!) Your devotion to the soup recipe is admirable. I would have just made it without coconut milk or cardamom! But it wouldn't have been as good, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have similar weather here, it's hellishly hot, I can't do anything in the garden during the day, just water early in the morning, because there's no rain in sight here either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that the tree frogs move into the empty bird houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Codex
    At least it turned out. I tried something similar once. Tasted great until the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little guy you have there. The boy, I mean, although the frog is pretty cute too.
    That soup is always good and in my opinion, needs nothing but naan. Or some other bread.
    Yep. Our planet is fucked. Well, we fucked our planet. It certainly did not do it on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet baby boy! That will lift anyone's spirits! Whenever the orange blob says "I can tell you this", you can be assured he is gracing us all with another lie! That doesn't bother me as much as the simpletons who believe him. That soup sounds so good. I might have to give it a try. The Patient could eat that without me having to cut his food up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I were a tree frog I would certainly consider moving into the bird house. The way the planet is crisping up it may be the only shelter left!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What are you thinking about Artemis? I loved his other two books, but for some reason haven't picked that one up. I can't believe Paisleigh is starting preschool! Also, that soup sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a little longer to get into it but that may have just been because I was wasting too much time playing games on my phone. But yeah, it's good.

      Delete
  11. Harrison doesn't need "toys" to have fun at your house! Hope Paisleigh loves school! The years fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Codex
    You'll like the new spiderman. Very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever seen Ex Machina?

      Delete
    2. Codex yes good
      Inspired by musk metaphor for mistreating women

      Delete
  13. 2014 and Hollywood already knew what he was. ..lots of important themes there. What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I was even aware of Musk back then and I guess I don't know enough about him to get the analogy. But, yeah I thought it was very good. Another cautionary tale about AI. Don't know anyone who has seen it though.

      Delete
  14. You certainly are a dedicated cook! I would've improvised - as always.
    Ahh, the boy is a love.
    We welcome any wild space here in this manicured suburb with rhododendrons and lawns trimmed within an inch of life. And watered of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can get to the grocery store, grab one or two items, and get back home in 15 minutes. Probably took me longer to get the coriander from my neighbor because that always involves some conversation.

      Delete
  15. Puts on professor glasses ;)
    Garland is a feminist. Around 2013 the fourth feminist movement started to bring about equal pay and protection against abuse laws. M. believes himself to be godlike uses highly intelligent women as his incubators to produce master children. Women are objects to him.
    He funded brain implant research. It wasn't just ai but if one manages to make an android that learns nothing but abuse. Eva wasn't taught love or empathy so she doesn't rescue Caleb who rescued her. Creation turning against creator. Hollywood knew what was coming.

    If you watch again you'll see the unbelievable misogyny. The dance sequence hot and so creepy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I saw the misogyny, I am a woman after all and have dealt with it all my life. Not what I was referring to. I was referring to your statement 'inspired by Musk metaphor' and Hollywood in 2014. I know all that shit about Musk now, of course, just not back then, don't think he ever came across my radar back then.

      Delete
    2. I understood what you meant. I was pointing out that the tech community (the millionaires not the billionaires) raised concerns about him. Influential Hollywood made the movie to warn to no avail.

      Delete
  16. I looked at that tall grass and the first thing that crossed my mind wasn't seeds; it was snakes. I'd wear boots if I were going to wade into that stuff. Your soup sounds good, although I can't quite bring myself to soup yet. It needs to drop below 90F before I'd even consider it. This is the salad season. Although: when I lived in Liberia anything that went on top of rice was called 'soup,' and my favorite was peanut stew. When cold(er) weather comes that's going to be on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, no intention of wading through that grass with or without boots, have no reason to.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.