Friday, October 11, 2024

long day and rummaging through more tubs


Monday I called two people and another on Tuesday for bids on cutting down, cutting up, and hauling away the hanging limbs on the two pecan trees. One Monday and the one on Tuesday came out the day I called. The second guy I called on Monday didn’t return my call until Wednesday afternoon after I had the work done Wednesday morning. He called again yesterday evening. Too late guy, should have returned my call on Monday.

The man I hired and his two helpers did an excellent job and very reasonable. The one limb hanging by a shred of bark came down quickly and was cut up in minutes. It probably took the about 30 minutes of discussion and moving the extension ladder around to finally decide how to approach the more dangerous dangling limbs on the other tree though Tuesday afternoon the two limbs that were detached but hung had fallen on their own.



When those two limbs came down with a whump I guess I jumped because John looked over at me and asked was I nervous; yup, little bit. This is what the trees look like now. I hope the one closest to the house will regenerate because I’d hate to lose it completely.



Wednesday was a long day. After the crew drove off with the trailer full of more than half my pecan tree 



I went ahead and emptied the truck onto the now really big burn pile (went wide instead of tall) and Marc went out to run some errands. I got a phone call later…car trouble, car wouldn’t start. After a series of phone calls between Marc, myself, Robin, and car mechanic grandson Mikey, Mikey’s domestic partner Audra showed up to jump the battery with the fancy little battery charger gizmo and then followed Marc home with Paisleigh and waited until Mikey got off work so I got a nice little visit with my great granddaughter. When Mikey got here he and Marc went off to get a new battery and he switched it out for us so, car fixed.


Earlier this week I was looking through more of the tubs in my sister’s shed and found more christmas ornaments, a fancy elf or fairy as the case may be, 



her antique plastic Mr. Snowman that you can put a light inside, 



a tub full of santas and nutcrackers, all of which will go to SHARE. I pulled out these crocheted and starched snowflakes that Pam made to see if anyone in blogland wants them.



Also found her soap making stuff and another tub full of her genealogy research…documents and pictures. Her younger daughter took all the binders of the family lines that were in the house right after Pam’s death and she’s coming to get the rest of the genealogy stuff today. The soap making stuff I’m going to post on the local chat page on FB free for the taking. 


Now that the weather has cooled off somewhat, key word here ‘somewhat’ since it’s still getting into low 90s during the day but the mornings are nice and cool, the shrimp plant, the white philippine lilies, the rangoon creeper, the morning glory bush, and the pink trumpet flower are all blooming but this post is already heavy on images so can wait until the next post.



4 comments:

  1. I do love to watch good tree guys do ballet with chainsaws and ropes. Glad you got that done!
    Same weather here and it's so nice.
    Do you remember my evil Santa? Same vintage as the snowman. I should give him to one of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that was a lot of large branches. Hope the trees grow back. My sister made me a snowflake like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting problems and their solutions. What does the text on the read container say with several exclamation marks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the crazy woman who owns that vacant lot next to me on the west side, the one that is so overgrown, that I refer to as the Wicked Bitch of the West put that container at the back of her property about four feet from the property line with her other ramshackle little storage buildings and got indignant when I simply noted that I had a new view to get used to. a few weeks later she accused me of stealing her tomato cages, bricks, and concrete blocks and was asking my neighbors if they had seen me on her property. when I told her she was crazy she called the sheriff on me. deputy came out, we showed him around our yard and satisfied he basically patted her on the head and told her to go home. a couple of months later she showed up with a spray can of white paint and wrote in 2' high letters NO TRESPASSING AND NO STEALING!!! underlined on the side of the container facing me. so that's what I get to look at when I'm in my backyard. fucking bitch.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.