Friday, March 22, 2024

wildlings, spring blooms, and rain


The capture of Twin Monday was a success though I had to use the live trap. First I snatched up Handsome Boy and Lovey and closed them up in the shed with food, then I put a container of food in the live trap and set it up. Robin came out to try and attract Twin with some food to see if she could grab him but they are still very wary of her and he wouldn’t approach. He did take a few steps into the live trap but backed out and wouldn’t go near it again until Robin went back inside. Even then it was a good 10 or 15 minutes before he approached the trap sniffing at the food from the outside while I quietly sat a good distance away. Finally he went in far enough to trigger the door and he was caught and boy was he mad. In all the months I’ve been feeding this kitten I have never heard him make a sound. Lovey is the most vocal and quick to loudly purr, Handsome Boy is mostly silent but he will meow now and then and when I picked him up Monday he purred loud enough to be certain for the first time. Robin and I think he is the most ready to be in the house. 


So I texted Robin ‘got him’ and went back home to get the car. When I picked up the trap I really thought Twin was going to hurt himself thrashing around and head butting the end in a desperate attempt to get out but once I had him in the back seat he laid down and calmly and quietly spent the ride to the vet. He hissed at me once when I picked up the trap and carried him into the vet but didn’t yowl or thrash around. On my way there I got a text from Robin…Lovey started yelling and crying after you took him, it was sad. Lovey is the most affectionate of the three always rubbing up against his brothers, hence his name. The vet called Tuesday morning to let me know that Twin had had his surgery and was doing well. I could pick him up anytime after 2 PM. So now Twin is home, he rode calmly and quietly all the way back and his brothers were happy to see him.


Wednesday when I went over to feed them this is where I found Twin. 



The other two were curled up on the landing outside the door to the screened porch. Momcat showed up and I fed them and pet them as usual. Usually I leave when they are still eating but that day I lingered pulling a few weeds in the back, checking on the progress of the two peach trees, doing a little repair on the screened porch and then went around to the front of the house to pull a few more weeds and Momcat and the kittens followed me. Now they have followed me around to the front on a few other occasions but Wednesday when I finally left to go home all four followed me across the street. First Momcat and Lovey while Handsome Boy and Twin sat in the drive and watched and then they too crossed over. I went inside. Later I was sitting on the little loveseat next to the window FaceTiming Jade when I looked over at the window that has textured glass in the bottom pane to see the silhouette of a little cat head peering in. When I stood up to look through the clear pane on top, there was Lovey. I guess he had heard my voice. Later still the three were in the front yard but when Marc opened the door they all scooted back across the street.


Walking around the yard Tuesday morning I had a surprise, one lone yellow flag iris in the front under the big chinese fringe flower tree that I didn’t even know was there, at least I don’t remember ever seeing it before.



Flowers are blooming all over the place. This is the empty pasture behind us with indian paintbrush. It looks better in person than this picture. 



There’s an expanse of empty land heading south on business 59 after you cross the bridge over the Colorado River and before it joins up with the highway that I wish I could get a picture of. It’s a solid mosaic of yellow creeping buttercup, pink evening primrose, blue bluebonnets, and red/orange indian paintbrush but there is no place besides the narrow shoulder to pull over for a photo.


The red tip photonia is blooming



and zinnias over at my sister’s old house from seeds I threw in there months ago that I found in her refrigerator which reminds me I need to throw out mine. Today would be a good day.



And the mock orange/dogwood is blooming very early, by a month at least.



As mentioned in my past post, we got 4” of rain last Friday into Saturday. Wednesday night/early Thursday morning it started raining again and rained and rained and rained finally slowly petering out around 1:30 Thursday afternoon. I checked the rain gauge…4 1/4”.  So, 8 1/4” in seven days. I had standing water in the usual low places and the ditch was about half full and running well but the drainage at the other end of the street is terrible. It’s supposed to drain from that end down to my end but somewhere halfway a culvert is collapsed or clogged or something and it backs up. This is Rocky’s front yard and the house on the other side of the street fared barely better. 



Complaining to the county commissioner does not produce results. They claimed they were going to regrade the ditches on both sides two years ago but all they did was scoop out a bucket load on each end of every culvert which did nothing to improve the drainage. I’m just glad I live at my end of the street where the ditches are deeper and unobstructed.


Well, this is already too long so I’ll leave my tirade against our governor and AG for later.




24 comments:

  1. Cat adventures! I think that eventually they will all be grateful and maybe their memory of all that will subside in favor of a safe home and steady dinners! You are the champion of wildlings!
    Weather man says more winter up here. As usual spring is a temperamental teen girl with attitude.
    Your neighbors could just deepen that hole and voila- swimming pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. my granddaughter that lives in the house now intends to woo them. she's managed to pick up and hold one of them for a brief time.
      two of my neighbor's granddaughters were fishing for crawdads in the ditch after the water had receded gone down, thought they were going to catch some.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the cats are progressing to friendly and thank you for neutering and spaying. That's a good deed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad there is a group that helps with the cost of neutering and spaying homeless cats.

      Delete
  3. Yes- as Boud said, you have done a very good deed and it was not easy. Sounds to me like your yard cats are becoming much more apt to trust you and want to spend time with you.
    So much rain!
    Ellen, you have reminded me that I have forgotten to buy zinnia seeds. I think I'm going up to the DG in a few minutes. I'll see if they have any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a relief to have all three boys taken care of. it's dog country over at my house and Minnie chases them whenever she sees them. I don't take her over there when I go to feed them and she is unhappy about that. I collected my zinnia seeds from last years flowers.

      Delete
  4. Well done with the kittens. I adore your wildflower fields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have them taken care of. the field behind me is even more full of flowers now.

      Delete
  5. Is the water getting in to Rocky's house? That would seriously be concerning, especially if it's sitting on a septic leach (leech?) field. Good job on the neutering of the boys, they'll have better lives for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, the house is on pier and beam and higher than my house but the water didn't come all the way to the house and 24 hours later it had mostly drained away or soaked in. the septic system is the kind that sprays the water out across the top of the ground.

      Delete
  6. If you weren't a cat lady before, you are now. Or, cat whisperer. They seem to love you for it. Mama especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cats have always liked me. a male cat has adopted my neighbor Gary and whenever I stop to visit that cat plops down at my feet.

      Delete
  7. With a ravine that slopes down to a creek, we don't have flooding issues. Something I considered before buying the property. The creek does get a lot wider and louder after a lot of rain, though. The cat is beautiful. Made me miss Martha, the boy cat. The field of wildflowers is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a live creek. my brother does. but I ended up in the middle of flat farm and ranch country.

      Delete
  8. Isn't it frustrating when you spot such wildflower beauty but can't stop? Around here, it's not just narrow roads and traffic, there's always the possibility of getting stuck. I did it one down by Brazoria. I didn't realize that the soil there is so sandy that when it gets saturated, it doesn't take much to sink down into it. I do love those mixed fields like you saw. A mixed bouquet always appeals to me more than a dozen anythings, and that's how I think of fields like that: nature's mixed bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's an apt description. and I agree. the expanse of a solid color is striking but the 'mixed bouquet' is more interesting.

      Delete
  9. These cats have found their own personal devotee and their future welfare is assured it seems to me. You may not have been able to get a picture of the wildflowers, but at least they are there to brighten up your day as you pass them, and that’s something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the care of the cats will eventually pass into my granddaughter's hand. she working on gaining their trust so that she can bring them inside at least during bad weather.

      Delete
  10. I love seeing all of the flowers! It's cold here, altho, my daffodils are still blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad Twin is now among the feral fixed little ones! It's so wonderful that you and others are helping keep that population under control, and that they followed you home too! The wildflowers of Texas are wonderful! Sorry you couldn't get a photo of the field you described!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellen Abbott, Cat Whisperer. Pretty flowers as usual. We're looking a little more springy up here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've probably already done this, but someone should send that picture to the county as a reminder that more needs to be done! Granted you've had a lot of rain, but still -- it should drain better than that.

    When you say you "threw" the zinnia seeds, do you literally just toss them on the ground? Does that work?

    Good work on the kitten! It's so great you've put this effort into controlling their numbers and giving them a better life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everybody in the neighborhood got on him to do something about the poor drainage. he finally sent out a big claw to scoop out the ditch, one scoop one each end of the culverts which did nothing to help the drainage as it just created pools on each side of the culverts because they were deeper than the bottom of the culverts. I was so pissed and sent him an email about how useless that was and explaining that since he apparently didn't know how ditches and drainage worked, that he needed to regrade the entire ditches on both sides of the street from end to end from high to low. he replied that yes he did know how ditches and drainage worked and that they weren't finished. that was two years ago and nothing has been done.

      so yes, I just throw, or rather sprinkle the seeds on the surface but first I break the surface of the bare dirt up and then pat down the seeds after I sprinkle them and then water them in. I did that last year and it worked really well, better than any success I have had starting the seeds in those little plastic six packs. I collected my seeds from my flowers and from another person's garden and they all still mostly have the flower petal still attached. this year I sprinkled a thin layer of mulch on top after I watered.

      Delete
    2. above...not neighborhood. most everyone on our street.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.