Thursday, March 7, 2024

spring chores and spring flowers


Sunday late afternoon I got my garden planted…tomatoes, bell peppers, green beens, basil but not the potatoes because I had forgotten to cut my seed potatoes into pieces and let them harden so I did that Monday and then coated the cut surface with ashes which is supposed to help prevent them from rotting before they start growing. I fear I’m a little late with the potatoes like last year but I got them planted Wednesday. Then I mulched around the tomatoes and peppers.



I have two raised bed kits (4 - 4’ x 4’ or 2 - 4’ x 8’) and I think I’m going to set up one 4’ x 4’ section and try squash which I don’t usually have any success with because right about the time they start producing fruit the squash vine borers have done their work and the plants go into total wilt, but you know, hope springs eternal. Anyway,  my neighbor Gary brought me 3 yellow squash and 3 cucumber seedlings so once I get those in that will be all I’m planting for a spring garden.


Also this week I cleaned out all the debris from having the plants in the garage and returned it to it’s not winter configuration.


I planted carrot seeds last fall but never thinned them out so Monday I belatedly pulled some of the smallest carrots. The biggest one was almost as big as my pinkie finger but they all went in the fried rice I fixed for dinner last night.


Spring of ’22 I planted some bearded iris rhizomes that I got at the garden club plant sale, no idea what color. They didn’t bloom last spring but one clump out of three did this spring and they are white.


These flag iris are in Gary’s yard blooming profusely and so gorgeous. I have some flag iris that have yet to bloom. 

The ground orchids are blooming well this year.



Some firsts… fleabane, evening primrose, there are so many in the big back yard that when they are in full bloom in a week or so it will be very pink back there, the early amaryllis, wisteria. These all popped out in the last several days.


And one contented Cat. 



9 comments:

  1. That white bearded iris is gorgeous. Would that your contented cat could send some vibes north. My tortie still refuses to speak with me, though she is quite content with others who come in. She does speak at me whenever she wants something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have invested a lot of time and effort into your garden and the results are terrific. My wife, who is the gardener in the family, is reaching the point where the garden is terrific, the gardening not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hard work is paying off with all those lovely blooms. I am sure your vegetables will do great also. It sounds like a full time job keeping up with your large gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a bit ahead of us in the wisteria, at least. Beautiful blooms, Ellen!
    I should have done better at thinning my carrots too. Drat. But I've gotten some nice enough ones. Now if my beans would just come up!
    Glen's potato-growing bag experiment looks to be very successful so far. We shall see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love primrose - so taffeta & fluffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much going on in your garden! Great selection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of all your flowers, as usual. I'm jealous of you and Ms Moon being able to move the tender plants outside for the season. We have to keep ours in for at least another month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy bananas! I have got to get out this weekend and see what's going on. I did see some of the pink primrose here in Houston last week, but I've not yet seen any wisteria; some of it around vacant lots may have been cut down. I really need to get to San Bernard this weekend, too. I often miss the blue flag iris, and from what you say, the nice tall leaves may have some bloom stalks now. I did see fleabane last weekend: pretty ones, with a delicate pink tinge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed my flag iris have sent up two bloom stalks and the clump in front has 6!

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.