Monday, March 11, 2024

setting up the raised bed, snake, and kitty junk



I had a busy weekend out in the yard planned but then Saturday was overcast, cold, and worse, windy. The overcast and cold can be dealt with but that wind made it hard to be out for long. Sunday though was warmer and still so my main task was setting up the new raised bed for the little squash starts Gary gave me. I had already gotten the cucumber sprouts in the ground on Friday with a cage for them to grow on. 


First I used the trimmer to cut down to the ground all the grass and weeds, an area about 5’ x 5’. then I laid down some black plastic and cardboard on top of that and then put my 4’ x 4’ raised bed together and sat it on top of the cardboard and lined the outside with bricks (the pots on the right are potatoes and the one on the left is a tomato). 


Next I added a small thin layer of small dead twigs and then a layer of oak leaves and then a layer of composted peat, then dirt, then compost, then dirt, then fertilizer, more compost, more dirt until I ran out. This is two bags of compost, four bags of potting soil. I need at least 6 more bags which I’ll get today (turns out it only took four).


Before I started on that, while I still had the trimmer out I went ahead and used up the gas still in the tank going around all the edges of the flower beds and under the crepe myrtles on the west side of the barn and cut the path to the compost pile a little closer when the son of the wicked bitch of the west who was finally mowing that horribly overgrown lot (though I shouldn't remark on that considering how we let the big back yard get during the spring wildflower stage) flagged me down to tell me that he had just chased a big cottonmouth out of the area he was mowing and it slithered into the calf high bluebonnets, primrose, cleaver, hay grass, and developing coneflowers behind the flowerbed above. OK, thanks for the warning. I’ll stay out of there. I’ve seen plenty of snakes since I’ve been living here and neighbors have told of seeing cottonmouths but that’s one I have never seen and I’m perfectly happy not to encounter one.


I’m going to try and get the last of the kittens neutered this week, the one that is the most untamed even for me, the one that has very similar markings to Robin’s male cat Noodle, the one that I had yet to get a good look at it’s rear end because it never walks around with it’s tail erected…until yesterday. 


Yesterday while I was petting the brown tabby, Handsome Boy, in my lap Twin plonked his self down, spread his back legs and started cleaning himself down there, very obviously a boy and not just because I could see his balls but also because his little pointy red penis was proudly displayed. All righty then. First time I have ever seen a cat penis.


Nothing else going on except for the continuing implosion of the republican party. They have no policies with which to campaign, only harping on the doddering old fool in the White House who put that whole bullshit to rest with his aggressive State of the Union speech so now republicans are going on about how mean he was calling them out on their bullshit, trying to convince everyone now that he was on speed and their ridiculous rebuttal in the kitchen with a trad wife (except a trad wife would not have a job much less be a member of Congress) wearing a cross and speaking in her little girl voice and lying her ass off because they thought that would appeal to suburban women. But make no mistake, while they are distracting us with the clown show Trump was busy at Mar a Lago meeting with Victor Orban, dictator of Hungary who Trump admires and plans to emulate once back in the Oval Office and installing his daughter-in-law and another loyalist as co-leaders of the RNC while they announce that if you aren’t loyal to Trump, they don’t want you in the Republican party. They are preparing for the takeover and demise of our democracy. 


We all thought the 2020 election was crucial and it was but it doesn’t hold a candle to this one coming up. The MAGAts (there is no real republican party anymore) are much more prepared for the takeover than last time (if you haven’t looked into Project 2025 and Christian nationalism yet, now would be a good time).


 

21 comments:

  1. My wisteria is not yet blooming. Yours is beautiful.
    I bet your plants will do well in your raised bed.
    Good luck in getting Penis Cat in a carrier. I don't think I've ever seen a cat penis either.
    I haven't heard anything about Ivanka and Jered (Barbie and Ken) having much to do with this campaign. If they're smart, they'll stay away.
    I agree with you 100% on the importance of this election. I know I keep saying this but...I am terrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem to have the same profusion of blooms as usual. I think I'm going to have to use the live trap baited with food. the other two I could just pick up and shove in the carrier.
      I think Ivanka is done with her dad's political asperations and Jared certainly doesn't want the spotlight on himself.

      Delete
  2. We have weeks to go before the wisteria will bloom. How lucky you are! Every once in a while, we are debating raised beds but no, we just stick to the 4-bed rotation and declare it our religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too many weeds and stubborn hay grass to go directly in the ground. I'd have to poison the ground first. the plastic and cardboard are to help discourage that stuff from coming up into the raised bed. probably will eventually though.

      Delete
  3. Be terrified enough to get out and vote!
    In Kansas, the GOP event folks have effigies of Biden set up for folks to bash and kick! Just saw it on the News! A bunch of sick, fucking MAGAts!
    Vote, damn it ... Just Vote! Even Ken Burns is warning of another dictator regime, but in OUR country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have also added Dominionism...really scary stuff. not just christian nationalism but their particular repressive sect claims that they should have control over all aspects of personal and public life and government.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like Twin was fresh off making a new batch of kittens. Good on you, hustling them off to the vet as quickly as you can. You are putting a lot of muscle into the raised garden. I hope you get a bizillion little squashes for your reward. And here's my two cents: vote blue, up and down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not. hopefully he was just exploring his imminent adulthood. anyway, he goes in next Monday evening. I don't usually have much success with zucchini b/c of the vine borers so hope the yellow will do a little better.

      Delete
  5. A Cottonmouth is certainly a snake to avoid! We sometimes have a snake in the garden, but here is it a harmless little Garter Snake, and they are very welcome to share our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most snakes are harmless and actually beneficial. I leave them alone. I'll kill a copperhead though if it ventures too close to the house having been bit by one about a decade ago. I read somewhere that snakes in the garden/yard are a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

      Delete
  6. Have you seen the SNL take on the rebuttal? It is pretty funny.
    I'm so glad I am not a Republican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that. many republicans aren't too happy about being a republican either. in fact Ken Buck is so pissed at Trump's takeover he's quitting at the end of this week.

      Delete
  7. Did you see that Trump's daughter in law and the other new officers of the RNC have fired everyone and are basically combining the RNC with the Trump campaign? All that RNC money is going to pay his legal bills. Which is all he cares about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not only that she publicly said if you aren't a Trump butt kisser, we don't want you in the republican party.

      Delete
  8. Lovely wisteria. Cottonmouth that isn't near water? Glad you didn't see him. I've heard cat penises have some barbs which make copulation somewhat uncomfortable for the ladies...so was wondering if you noticed anything like that. Inquiring minds. All the male cats I ever owned never showed their penises to me. See I like using that word. Penises. Wonder if it sounds feminist of me. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw no barbs but I've heard that too. plenty of water around here. the Colorado River is 3 miles away and Boughman Slough is maybe a mile away so yeah, people see cottonmouths around here.

      Delete
  9. The "fundie baby" voice that Britt person used was enough to make a strong person ill. One of the best self-owns in recent Pubtard history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and because she is rightly being ridiculed she's now whining about being a victim of mean people.

      Delete
  10. That 2025 Project is terrifying. I really hope we can squash that at the ballot box in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah. now check out Dominionism. really scary stuff.

      Delete
  11. That wisteria is glorious. I haven't seen any yet; I'm not even sure where to begin looking for it. I guess I'll just drive around and look for purple! I'm glad you mentioned the snake, though. I tend to be a little too cavalier about them: out of sight, out of mind, and all that. With the grasses beginning to grow tall again, it's time to start staying out of them where they're knee high.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.