Friday, March 15, 2024

sharing, cats, and wildflowers



baby blue eyes


Yesterday was a food delivery day at SHARE. I got there after it was all unloaded, truck gone, things beginning to be put away. This is what it looked like in the back storeroom.


We also got four more of the big cartons of household goods at $7.50 a carton. Here’s two of them. There was even a small sewing machine in one of them. 


We were moderately busy with food orders. This month the food bank delivered cartons of bags of the little mandarin oranges called ‘cuties’ and bags of apples. Last month we got boxes of bags of frozen strawberries. Walmart sends us marked down/sell by vegetable and salad stuff, meat, and bakery goods every week, the dollar stores give us their milk, yogurt, lunch meat, etc that has hit its sell by date.


The other thing we got from the regional food bank yesterday was two boxes of unpackaged frozen solid in one big lump of cornish hens. At least 30 hens per box, maybe more. Like the boxes of unpackaged frozen little sausages they sent us a while ago, we cannot give them away even if they weren’t all frozen together and we bagged them up because we don’t have whatever permit that would require. We sent one box to Victory In Jesus, a christian rehabilitation residence and Gary and I, toward the end of the day when the second box was still just frozen solid, put the big plastic bag in the stainless steel sink, Gary running cold water over it all and slowly separating the hens while I bagged them up two to a bag and stuck them in the freezer (they were still frozen, just a little thawed on the outside). As I said, we can’t give them out so they are there for the volunteers to take.


It’s supposed to get up to 80 today and then will cool off a bit for the next week. The indian paintbrush is coming into full bloom and pastures are filled with the little yellow wild ranunculus, creeping buttercup.


My grandgirl Robin, who already has three indoor cats she’s taking care of, her cat Noodle and the Boys, plans to adopt the wildlings and so she is starting to join me in feeding them in the afternoons so that they get used to her presence and touch. She had all three of them at her feet yesterday while she sat on the threshold of the shed putting down small handfuls of food while she pet them and even managed to pick up Handsome Boy for a minute or two while I sat farther away and watched. I’m not sure they’ll take to being indoor cats so she may have to let them come and go as they please. Our best guess is that they are about 9 months old.



family portrait


My only obligation today is dinner so I’m going to work in one of the flower beds weeding and soil remediation since I’m not getting a good return on the stuff that usually grows in there, the love-in-a-mist, larkspur, and orange cosmos



fleabane


 

16 comments:

  1. We aren’t allowed to keep anything without an ingredients label and volunteers in the distribution warehouse where I work aren’t permitted to take anything home - although I will occasionally sneak a candy bar if we get any…. Sounds like Robin will be the neighborhood “crazy cat lady”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan won't throw away food. it goes against her morals and principles so she lets us take it for ourselves or distribute it to others. it's that or throw it away since we can't give it out.

      Delete
  2. I was going to work outside today and just did not have the grit to do it. Or energy. So I spent about an hour getting an eggplant parmesan together to bake later. And the rest of the day? Not much.
    Up in the eighties here, supposed to get cool next week. Same-same as you.
    I don't think I've ever eaten a cornish hen. I imagine they're pretty good.
    Your grandgirl is a very fine young woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. best laid plans and all that. I didn't do jack shit today. pulled a few weeds but it was hot today. raining now.

      and yes she is.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of sorting and putting away you have on hand. Hope there are more hands on deck than pictured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yeah, there were others and the 'elders' hadn't got there yet.

      Delete
  4. Cornish game hens are my favorite poultry, but here they're very seasonal, Christmas briefly.
    Your flowers are so advanced and lovely.
    Funny that the cats are staying in the family. That's a real animal lover they're going to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's difficult to rehome feral or half wild cats I am told. they run off. and these three are bonded and have lived where they are their whole life and fed. it just seems wrong to try and split them up. my sister started feeding them and now I just continue.

      Delete
  5. I've been astonished by how much buttercup has been blooming this year. I'm used to seeing it crop up in vacant lots and in some pastures, but my goodness! It seems to be everywhere. That's one fine photo you got of it. I like the fleabane, too. And those kitties! Every time I see such cuties I get the impulse to have one again, but I beat it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it this profuse before. I like having animal companions but it sort of puts the kibosh on travel for any length or time unless someone else is at home to take care of them.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that none of the food is wasted. I haven’t had Cornish hen in years, so I might have come to your house if you took a couple home! The wildflowers look lovely. Nothing is quite as pleasing as wildflowers in spring. Any time for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had them for decades but I did buy them sometimes when the kids were growing up.

      Delete
  7. Hi via Cup in the Bus!
    It just doesn't seem right that there are food banks everywhere in the world.
    Nice looking trio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome to my place. it doesn't seem right that the richest country in the world, one that sends millions and billions in aid to other countries, doesn't make sure that all its citizens are well fed. we could, we just don't.

      Delete
  8. I love that wide shot of the green green grass - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is a pasture near my house but the one behind me is getting pretty colorful too.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.