Wednesday, March 27, 2024

a dream and spring in the yard


I dream. We all do. I used to be better at remembering my dreams but now the first conscious thought after I start to wake and poof, the dream is gone. This morning though, I managed to hang onto the last part of the dream at least. I say last part. It’s an assumption that there was more that preceded what I remember. This is what I remember…There was a small group of us, all women, in my bedroom and I was walking around naked. We were all going to go to a beach or bay or something and I said I guess I should put some clothes on and one of the women told me I should put some underpants on at least and they all left without waiting for me to get dressed. It took me some time to find and put on clothes and when I finally got there I was so annoyed I didn't go sit with them but decided to walk around the perimeter of this beach and ran into my brother and his wife and, separately, some other people I knew. Then I was leaving with someone and a woman was following after us but she was walking slower and we were about 20’ ahead of her when she called to us to wait for her to catch up. I turned around and said, you mean like y’all waited for me. I think it was the woman who told me to at least put on some underwear. I haven’t dreamed about being naked in decades but I didn’t seem to be concerned about it.


Today is cold and overcast which makes me not want to play outside. 


The rest of this post is pictures of the yard and what’s in it. Several of the photos are cropped way down to eliminate the rude ass words the wicked bitch of the west wrote on the side of her container facing my yard after accusing me of stealing her stupid bricks and tomato cages (I didn’t) and calling the sheriff on me which went nowhere. I would have just used a color fill to block out the offending message but I lost my Photoshop Elements when I switched to the Mac mini and don’t feel like buying it again.


Views of the big garden in the back.



Last spring my sister brought me a plant in a small pot that was left over after the garden club plant sale labeled  ‘purple porterweed’. After it developed buds I knew it wasn’t porterweed. Google image search has identified it as brazilian button flower (centratherum).



Blue flag iris bud.



This clump of amaryllis bulbs did not bloom last year but this year it has sent up 8 bloom stalks.



Another yellow surprise, this beaded iris, so at least one of the rhizomes I planted isn’t white.



The penstemon is blooming.



The mock dogwood/mock orange is in full bloom.


This guy wasn’t in the yard but on the driveway between the car and truck and I almost stepped on it. It’s about 2’ long and was motionless so I thought it was dead at first but when I poked at it gently with a long stick it slowly moved away snugging up against the wheel of the truck. Ten minutes later it was gone. Once again google image search identified it…a broad banded water snake, non venomous.






23 comments:

  1. Linda sue- that is a sweet snake, glad it scurried away. Your garden is breath taking and Pam's blue button flower is the most gentle color! A nice gift! Really, your garden is fabulous, I see WORK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it evolves. the zinnias are starting to sprout and soon I'll have little tomatoes and the day lilies will start up.

      Delete
  2. I adore your garden but could not handle the snakes. You are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the only snakes I got in the city were the little 8" garden snakes. I've had to learn to identify the many bigger snakes out here so I don't kill them indiscriminately. they have their place in the ecosystem keeping the vermin down.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely back yard, the iris especially. We don't have those until about Memorial Day.
    You could add your own spray paint message to the side of the container: Sorry this appears in my photos; it's not my work. Credit the wicked bitch of the west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often thought about sneakily painting over it, maybe one letter at a time but if it gets noticed it will just start her feud up all over again. she rarely visits the property lately, mostly her son or a grandson.

      Delete
  4. Ellen- it all looks beautiful. You've put so much love and energy into it all.
    Do you think your dream may have anything to do with the friends you had who so horribly betrayed you? "You mean like y'all waited for me?" A possibility, I guess. I think that nakedness in dreams represents vulnerability. At least for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the back end of the back yard is really the only sunny space I have. as for the dream, I don't think so. I really don't think of them very often. if I had to put a name on the woman maybe my sister but that doesn't make any sense in the context of the dream. or maybe my mother but again, it doesn't make sense and when I have dreamed of her it's definitely been her. or maybe even some weird combination of the two which still doesn't make any sense.

      Delete
  5. Lovely garden views. Strange neighbor though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. back when I was being friendly with the woman after her husband died another neighbor who knew her told me to be on my guard, that she would turn on me. and then she did. the lot is vacant with just a few storage building on it and the container. she lives elsewhere in town.

      Delete
  6. I dream, Ellen, but not quite as vividly as you, and most of them are instantly forgotten anyway. I won’t mind if I dream of naked women though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dreaming of naked men would be fine but it's always me.

      Delete
  7. I often forget my dreams the instant I wake up, too, even the ones I want to remember, but then they're gone. Your gardens are looking great and you have such a lovely variety of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bulbs and perennials make it easy. I put in very few annuals so it's mostly a matter of keeping the weeds out.

      Delete
  8. When I dream that I'm naked I usually don't even notice for the longest time and then I rarely am ever able to find any clothes to put on.

    Love your yard so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it never seems to bother me that I'm naked when I dream about it.

      Delete
  9. What a fine snake! I see water snakes often enough that I learned to identify some of them. The ones that I back away from are rattlesnakes, of course, but also the unidentified ones that I come across in the refuges. It's time to pay attention: reptiles of all sorts are around now, enjoying the sunny warmth as much as we do. Your mention of dreams made me laugh. I don't often remember my dreams, but I remember a couple of recent ones. In one, I was trying to identify a little yellow flower. In another, I was trying to get down a rutted, muddy road to a house that I'd heard was surrounded by bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush. Good grief. The flowers are overtaking my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have not seen a rattlesnake or a water moccasin though people tell me we have them out here. the two venomous snakes I encounter here are coral snakes and copperheads. I leave the coral snakes alone, tiny mouths and they have to chew on you but I will kill a copperhead since one bit me a decade ago.

      Delete
  10. That's a funny dream. I'm sure someone with experience in dream analysis could have a field day with it! The snake doesn't look quite right -- doesn't it look misshapen in the middle? Do you think it got hit by a car? Maybe it's just the angle of its body.

    You have so many amazing things blooming now. We're still in the chilly days of early spring, here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (The snake might have been displaced by all the brush-clearing in the ditch!)

      Delete
    2. I thought it was injured because it did look not quite right but it did move away so who knows. it's the first time I've seen one of those. it's been getting down in the 40s at night the last couple of nights. btw, my zinnias are sprouting.

      Delete
  11. Your yard looks wonderful. I didn't realize until now how close that shipping container is to your yard, for some reason it seemed farther away. That woman is truly bat shit crazy. I remember that I dreamed, but never what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it's three or four feet from the property line and they don't maintain the space between which is why I put those pieces of plywood and plastic along the property line to keep the weeds back. it's full of weeds and fallen branches and sprouting trees from the native pecan back there.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.