Monday, January 8, 2024

trying to get stuff done

I’ve been trying to tick things off my non-existent list last week and continuing this week. I watered all the plants that are inside for the winter, replaced one of the chains on the hanging basket of staghorn fern that rusted and broke and then took it outside and hung it up and gave it a good watering, bought some plastic drawer units to finally organize my desk,

moved drawing tools and batteries out of the drawers of the buffet that I use in my bedroom and put those drawers to better use, bought two larger drawer units to put in my closet for shoes and hats and scarves and purses (I do actually have a couple of small bags for when my clothes don’t have pockets). 



I sold my pecans, 213 pounds worth for $138. I held a small box back in case I didn’t shell enough and I’m still picking up about 20 a day in my yard though the trees are about done. After getting 3” of rain total last week I decided to torch the enormous burn pile on Saturday which was a nice sunny day. Took several tries to get even a small part burning. It would dry out an area and flame up and then die down then flame up then die down. It did this all day, mostly smoldering. By Sunday morning it had smoldered maybe a third to ash. I already had a full garden cart of tree and brush debris so I piled it next to the unburned part and then attacked the virginia creeper and greenbriar that are taking over the wisteria over at Pam’s old house. Robin and BF Evan came out and helped me and we piled two garden cart loads on the unburned part of the burn pile. 


My poor garden cart got crunched though. After I emptied it on the burnpile and before I started on the wisteria I had temporarily parked it behind Robin’s car and when Evan pulled out he didn’t see it. I walked around from the other side of Pam’s house to see Evan bending over it picking up the end piece that had broken off apologizing profusely. Well, my fault for leaving it behind the car where it couldn’t be seen. One end was broken off and crumpled, the other end was still attached but crumpled and both sides still attached but one crumpled. Anyway I rolled it home and took a heavy hammer to it all and managed to get it back together though seriously lopsided but hey, the sides are on and it rolls fine. That's Pam's garden cart in the upper left corner that I have commandeered. 



After our fine weather the last three days, today is overcast, rainy, and very windy, sustained 16mph with 30mph gusts with occasional howling so anything ticked off my list today is indoor stuff like messaging my PC doctor to order my bloodwork before my appointment at the end of the month so she’ll have the results when I go in. I have given up on SPOT helping with the neutering of the kittens. They aren’t pursuing it as far as I can tell and they don’t return calls or messages. So I got the number of another organization that helps with neutering and called them and left a message (this is the group that helped with Cat’s spaying), called the vet to confirm procedure, and am waiting to hear back. Since I was willing to give SPOT a donation for helping, Marc and I just decided to use that money and pursue it ourselves. The main goal is to get the little female fixed first, 


then we can deal with the two males later. 


I guess I’ll vacuum the house this afternoon, maybe hang up the rest of my crystals.


I don’t guess I’ll be going to yoga class tonight with this wind as the weather forecast shows thunderstorms right when I would be leaving. High wind and rain on the highway at dusk? Um, nope.


13 comments:

  1. You can certainly use 2 garden carts. I am not sure how, but I'm sure you'll be able to do so. Hope kittens can be taken care of and rehomed soon! They're so cute as little balls of fur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I feel worse than ever- you found your energy! Or at least, you surely did a whole lot of the same sort of things I should be doing. But good for you, Ellen! Perhaps I can emulate you although not tomorrow. We're supposed to be getting very high winds and rain and possible tornadoes. They've even canceled schools.
    Your poor garden cart! I know how important a garden cart is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The windy weather is headed my way. Supposed to get my stove tomorrow, so we will stay home and I will cook. This time of year is so blah, rained all day and I stayed in. I would take a kitten off your hands if I were closer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very busy lady. Be safe getting out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to fix your garden cart. Hope Evan didn't damage his vehicle!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The front just got here. When I came in about 5, it was in the 70s. Now? Cold, windy, and dropping like a rock. It's thundering, too. I made some coffee, just in case the power goes out, although it looks like the storms will be through fairly quickly. Those kittens are so darned cute. When I see little critters like that, I have to have a serious discussion with myself about what a bad decision it would be to have another.

    Too bad about the cart, but if it holds stuff and rolls, all is good: never mind the aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cart fix. Now it has personality. Other than that, stay clear of the inbound weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cart is just more rustic now! Still works fine. You're really working up a storm there. I'm glad you've got help with some of the plants around Pam's house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The size of your garden carts gives me an idea of how large your garden must be. I wonder what the future of these kittens will be? Are you going to keep them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is this thing about organizing my office. I do it periodically and I am very smug about the results, especially when Miriam confers her nod of approval, but there exists a sinister force that causes it to revert to its former state and I have to do it again. This has been going on for years, but I guess Miriam’s reaction makes it all worth while. I won’t even tell you what happens when I dust the bookshelves and clean to picture frames!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're supposed to have high wind today too (and it's pouring rain right now). Makes me want to skip walking with my cousin this evening, but we missed yesterday because of the great tooth debacle (it's better today - got some steroids).

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bummer about the garden cart! I suppose the important thing is that it still rolls. Those plastic drawers are a good idea. I'm thinking I could use some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read your post to see what people with enthusiastic energy do...January is my organization month as well. I hope to go through husbands clothes and thin!!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.