Saturday, December 2, 2023

life goes on for the living


I had a fairly normal day Wednesday but then I didn't have to talk to anyone, had three errands to run; took the recycling to the site, got a box from the post office to send all those jewels and lenses to my friend Steve in Colorado that does stained glass, and got another bucket of pecans cracked. So far I've shelled eleven and a half pounds of pecans and given away four. I'm still picking pecans up out of the yard and my neighbor's yard. So many leaves have fallen now that it takes longer shuffling through them but it'll be easier once Marc mows/mulches the leaves.

I went to SHARE Thursday and got lots of hugs and well wishes and every time I would tear up but it was good to be busy and have something to focus on. My station was a mess. Not a messy mess but nothing was in the right place and I had to rearrange everything back to the way I like it. On the other hand, yoga at Hesed House that night was particularly hard. Stephanie always starts out with quiet breathing and focusing on any aches or pains and emotions and how those emotions connect to your body and tears were just rolling down my face and I was thinking it was too soon, too soon, but once we got into actual body movements it was easier.

We had rain Thursday, nearly all day but it only amounted to 5/8”, and drizzly yesterday. The rain packed the leaves down and I picked up over two gallons worth of pecans yesterday. My little food garden is growing. The broccoli is starting to form. I don't know if you can see it in this picture (assuming I can figure out how to change the picture from MB to KB on my phone and add it in) but the very center is a tiny broccoli head. 

The cauliflower doesn't look like it's making yet but the cabbage is starting to form little heads.

Still no movement on getting the kittens fixed and moved to new homes. I feed them every night, Momcat still lets me pet her and last night I managed to stroke the two tabbies, one brown and the other gray, several times but only while they are eating. Their hunger is overcoming their fear whereas before their fear was overcoming their hunger. It still takes me several tries. The third kitten which resembles Momcat and is bigger than the other two and damn near as big as Momcat who is a small cat, still backs off and won't let me touch her.

Today I may try to get the pansies in the ground that I bought a month ago but it's still very wet and overcast out there or maybe I'll pack up the glass jewels or maybe I'll go poach pecans from the backyard of the vacant house that's for sale across the street or maybe I'll just sit and read all day and give my poor arthritic left thumb joint a break from shelling pecans.

Thursday I did something I don't think I would have done if my sister was still alive. It was almost time to lock the door and several of the volunteers were sitting around chatting when I walked up and one of them said they were planning a trip to Brookwood to shop for Christmas and have lunch and did anyone want to join them. Brookwood is a residential community for adults with disabilities and a wholesale nursery where the residents do all the work with supervision from planting the seeds to caring for the mature plants. They have a craft center where the residents make garden related items, a gift shop, a retail greenhouse, and a fabulous restaurant. It's been years since I've been out there and I had planned on suggesting a day trip to Pam before she died so I piped up, I'd like to go. Of course that night my social anxiety popped up, what have I done, but life does go on for the living even when there is a big hole you have to navigate around.


 

27 comments:

  1. I often find that during the quiet time in yoga is when emotions come rushing in - probably the opposite of its purpose. It's good that you have activities to pull you outside of yourself for a while. Those kittens need you for now and by the time they're sorted, you may not need them either. Enjoy your day trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, getting in touch with your emotions is necessary for health I think. it's when you stuff them that you get things like ulcers or it transforms into anger.

      Delete
  2. Do feral kittens ever become tame? I have zero knowledge of what happens to kittens who are not socialized by people. It's good of you to take care of them, life is hard. i don't know grief, my people who have died didn't really leave a mark. I hope it eases soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know. I think they can get used to you but won't become a lap kitty. one commenter says unless they have human contact their first six weeks they can't be tamed. the woman at SPOT says they have tried to rehome grown feral cats but they run off. my sister has been feeding these kittens and momcat since she first saw them very young so they have had contact with people every day, feeding if not touching. my niece fed them while she was here and I've been feeding them for a week. momcat was dumped I think because she lets me pet her as much as I want. the two tabbies are now letting me pet them a little while they eat so I think they can be tamed.

      Delete
    2. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I never really felt grief before this. but then I didn't have great relationships with my parents or close relationships with aunts and uncles.

      Delete
  3. You're on a roller coaster of emotions right now, and it's okay. Just let yourself cancel anything you're really not up to, because this is a time when you're allowed. Pushing yourself a bit is okay, not too much right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding I can have a day or two or normalcy and then a day when the tears and loss are just under the surface.

      Delete
  4. I remember after my friend Lynn died, I cried through an entire yoga class. It happens. It's okay. It's good.
    I am so proud of you for accepting that invitation! Although it may be hard, I know you'll be glad you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost rolled up my mat and left but it is a small class which Pam had also attended and everyone was missing her too.
      I did enjoy their company at the party last month so I think you are right.

      Delete
  5. It's annoying and comforting that life keeps on keeping on. I'm glad you have regular things that you have to do - and I'm glad you accepted that invitation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is easier if I keep busy though I can't decide if having her house across the street is comforting or just makes it worse.

      Delete
  6. Have fun on your trip to Brookwood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is Brookwood that place west of Houston in Katy or whatever that sells the poinsettias? I vaguely remember hearing about it, but never have been there. I ought to at least do a little research, even if I don't get out there. It's been so foggy and on and off drizzly here that even though it's warm it's feeling like winter, so I have a pot of veggie soup simmering. Our yard crew was out planting the pansies last week, and they sure look good. They're one flower that always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's in Brookshire between Katy and Sealy, about 40 minutes from here. I've been there twice before over the years. still haven't got my pansies in. maybe today.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Found it. I might be able to get myself up there.

      Delete
  8. Ellen, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's just so damn hard to lose the good ones. My love to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cynthia. it was just so sudden and out of the blue, had seen her the day before and she was fine. my beautiful talented sister gone, just like that.

      Delete
  9. I was new to yoga until I came here a year ago, and found out how wonderful it can be. Our leader does what I think of as her closer, where she asks us to have a good thought for someone we love, someone we like, ourselves and someone we don't like, about in that order. My remaining Tea Party table mate told me some time ago she was going to quit yoga because of the Eastern Religion the leader keeps "dragging in" and that Namaste she always ends with. I replied to Betty that she is one of the people I think of every week. Betty hasn't missed a single class since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie sometimes closes with a similar but longer blessing. when I lead Abby's class I end with acknowledging things we are grateful for (Abby ends with a Jesus prayer, they are all believers, and namaste). I love your response to Betty and it's why you are my hero and role model. does she even know what namaste means? I bow to you, an expression of appreciation and respect. of course a Tea Partier would find that offensive.

      Delete
  10. Having been absent from blogging for a while, I think I have missed something, but I will go back over earlier posts to bring myself up to speed. In the meantime I hope that what you are dealing with is getting easier to handle. Best wishes - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you David. my older sister by 3 years died suddenly and unexpectedly of a massive stroke and bleeding in her brain three weeks ago. a crushing blow to me and the rest of the family. she was our matriarch which I guess now falls to me for which I am ill equipped.

      Delete
  11. One foot in front of the other, they say. And if anyone tells you that the loss of your sister gets easier with time- they don’t know what they are talking about! It never gets easier it just changes but the loss and grief are always very present- I wish I believed in heaven, love to you.
    Linda sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. she is irreplaceable. I hope her spirit was still hovering so she saw and heard all the love the family poured out before I had them removed the breathing tube.

      Delete
  12. Growing food and tending to the land, a garden has helped me cope so many times. I very much hope it will help you too and that working on your land will strengthen the bond with your sister in a new way.
    My daughter once trained as a yoga teacher and tells me that breathing through the solar plexus releases built up emotions, to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's great you're going on the Brookwood trip. Getting out and about will be healthy, even if it doesn't feel that way.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.