Sunday, December 31, 2023

glad to see this one end

 


Once again it is the last day of a year and I for one am glad this one is done. It started out bad and just got increasingly worse. The husband was obviously sick the last week of January and refused any kind of medical care until he was so sick I didn’t think he would survive the night on January 29th, until he was so sick that he no longer had the wherewithal to object and my daughter and I took him to the emergency room. He was in the hospital for 15 days with a stubborn and vicious viral pneumonia and the prognosis was all doom and gloom; oxygen at home and a walker for life. But he did rally, he did recover, he did start going to doctors regularly and is now healthier I think than he was before he got sick but it was months recovering. 


And then 5 months of hell descended on the Gulf Coast with three months of temps in the 90s and two months of temps in triple digits with little to no rain. Highest water bills, highest electric bills ever. Eventually the heat dome broke.


And then so did my sister who dropped dead the second week of November.


I’d beg for an easy year coming up except it’s an election year and things are going to get even nastier with our democracy on the line from those who would see it fall in favor of an authoritarian theocratic dictatorship, the minority ignoring the rule of law and imposing all those things they couldn’t get via elections or Congress onto the majority. Their list is long and none of it good. So, yay, we have that to look forward to.


I plan to end this year watching the Barbie movie with my granddaughter Robin on the big TV over at what I still think of as Pam’s house.




13 comments:

  1. It really was a rough year for you. I'm wishing you a much better year, democracy in peril notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping both our years will bring hope and happiness. It is good to be optimistic, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be a better year and it always will be Pam's house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid to hope for a better year tomorrow. What could go wrong? Your New Year's eve sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on another trip around the sun! Buckle up, 24's gonna be a wild one. Good choice on New Year's eve entertainment, Allison & I will be watching "Vera" on Amazon Prime. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the movie as you ring in a new year, which we all wish to be a bit better, though stress will still be coming our way. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that things are going hard this year but not near you. I'm hoping. My love to you and Marc and all your faves

    ReplyDelete
  8. A new page is being turned. May the ensuing chapters be filled with joy. All the best for 2024 - David

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a New Year filled with good health, peace, and happiness, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The way I see it, I already know who I'm voting for. So I'm just going to tune out on this whole presidential race! (To the degree that it's possible.)

    Yes, let's hope 2024 pleasantly surprises us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping that 2024 doesn't turn out as bad as I fear it will. The whole world seems to be going crazy these days. I wish for you and all of us a Happy New Year. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has been tough for you, I send you my best wishes for an easier year. As long as we keep our hearts open and our compassion alive, we'll make it.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.