Friday, December 22, 2023

counting coins and other money matters


When I was young, every day when my father came home from work he would empty his pockets of change into a jar and in December they would empty it out on their king size bed and we would group it into denominations and count it and the amount was what they would spend on christmas presents. That's as I remember it, participating in the counting of the change. I don’t remember when this practice ended. My sister would have known.


My grandmother had a small enameled box which I now possess that contained dimes.



She had another small carved wooden box for pennies. I remembering liking to empty them and count the change and then fill the boxes again. Flashes of childhood so far back. These days, the small carved box holds the few love letters my husband has written to me over the years. 



I have a jar. Originally it held five pounds of fine frit in whichever color. It sits on my dresser and contains my loose change, apparently a habit acquired early. When the grandkids were growing up and coming regularly, when the jar was full, they got to count it and divvy it up equally. They're all grown now but I still have the jar and I still empty my change into it when I get undressed. When it gets full I empty it into the coin counter at the grocery store and exchange it for dollar bills and squirrel it away. 


Marc just piles his change up on a shelf until it gets put in various containers. Remember the coin shortage during covid? I know where all those coins were. While he was in the hospital with pneumonia and the house cleaners that our grandgirl Jade arranged for were going to come, I cleaned off those shelves and took all those jars and the mountain of loose coins and dumped them into the coin counter machine. It was well over $600 even after the machine took its 12%.


One new year I made a resolution to spend my change instead of letting it pile up and I did for several years. I annoyed more than one person in line behind me for taking the time to dig it out of my pocket and count it out to the cashier. One woman rudely verbally accosted me because she was in a hurry. I told her standing in line for an extra few minutes was not going to change the quality of her life. It might, she said indignantly.


As teens we kids got an allowance every month so that we did not feel the need to get a job to pay for things like gas, food, music, etc. Our job, our father told us, was to go to school and get good grades. I was a saver even back then. When my father had to leave town to attend one medical conference or another, he sometimes didn’t make it to the bank for pocket money before he had to leave. Those times he would borrow money from me because he knew I always saved a portion of my allowance. I still do that. While a lot of people don’t carry cash anymore, we do. It keeps us from spending too much, easier to keep track than just whipping out a credit card for every purchase. 


The best advice my mother gave me was to always keep an escape fund (the worst advice she gave me was to let the boys win when we played games as they didn't like being beat by a girl). This comes from back in the days when women could not get a bank account or a credit card without a husband or father cosigning, when most women stayed in the home and were financially dependent on their husbands. Control the money, control the woman. You might never need it, she said, and if you don’t you have money for a vacation. Or, more likely, some piece of art I want.


 

29 comments:

  1. I remember also the secret little fund you took out on a date to pay cab home if it went badly. Mad money, meaning if either of you got mad you could get home!

    The store that used to have a coin machine vanished, but I found it useful, when it worked sometimes it stuck halfway through counting arghgh. Better than wrapping in coin wrappers. I don't even have enough to warrant a trip to the bank to get them. If they have them!
    I love those two boxes, and it's entirely appropriate to put love letters in one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always save my quarters; I keep them in a little bag in the car to use at the car wash or when I go over the San Luis pass bridge. It takes a lot of quarters to pay the $2 each way, but it's much easier to throw them into the little receptacle than to try and get a couple of dollar bills to stay put. I always crack up at the sign at the toll booth that says "Put bills under the rock." They mean it, too. There's an actual rock in the dish. The rest of my change I throw into the Tom Thumb cereal bowl I still have from when I was just learning to feed myself. Every now and then I roll the coins and take them to the bank. They actually still hand out coin wrappers for free.

    Every Christmas I remember my 'Christmas savings' when I was a kid. My dad got me set up at our bank's Christmas club. I had a little passbook, just like the big people, and every Saturday we'd go to the bank. I'd deposit 25 or fifty cents, and by the time Christmas rolled around, I had money for presents. Big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you remember the school savings bond stamp program in the 50s? I remember that the day I filled my book with the last stamp, someone in my class stole it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, my gosh. I do remember those savings bond stamp books. What a bad person, to steal your book. I remember Gold Bond and S&H Green stamps, too. We mostly saved Green Stamps; I remember mom got a toaster once.

      Delete
    3. oh yeah, green stamps from the grocery store. my parents had just had a bay house built and we got the dishes and cut;ery for it with green stamps.

      Delete
  3. Glen still saves his change in a box he has on his dresser. He hasn't taken it to cash in in a very long time. Although he does love cash, he mostly pays for things with his debit card now. Cash he keeps for...I don't. know. Some sort of emergency, I guess. He always tells me where it is and that is usually in the safe deposit box.
    Your mother was right about the need for an escape fund. So many women back in the day literally had no way out and thus had to put up with abuse of all sorts. Many, of course, still do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad had the same philosophy. I got a job at Wendy's that I was able to keep for about 6 hours - the time it took my dad to come home & say no. Probably for the best - can you imagine me working at a Wendy's? I would probably have been fired. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I bought some penny collection books and let our grandson go through the stash and try and fill up his collection books. We all had a good time with that. There's not much else can you do with penny's these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't know why the government still insists on minting them. just round up to the nearest nickel.

      Delete
  6. A lovely history, is so good, and a is a good tradition, I think, to have coins inside this beauty boxes. If you need coins, you have!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely boxes! There is, was?, an old tradition here for girls to collect coins growing up and use the money for her bridal shoes. Nowadays, the banks don't accept coins any longer and only some supermarkets do but their machines only give out coupons to use for groceries in the shop on the day.

    I rarely use cash and if I have to, I ask for the amount to be rounded up to the nearest bank note value, this is mostly minimal anyway. If I do get coins in change, I pass them on to whoever is asking for money out on the street or find a collection box on a counter somewhere.

    When I stayed with my daughter in NZ, I never saw or touched bank notes or coins, everybody pays everywhere with an EFTPOS (Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale) card, even at the food stalls selling farm produce along the road in the country. My grandchild has a play shop setup with a play version of an EFTPOS, no coins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the coin machines here at the grocery store give you a receipt that you take to customer service for cash. your NZ trip reminds me of many sci-fi books I've read where in the future no one used money. it was all electronic with a debit card.

      Delete
  8. Those are beautiful little boxes, though perhaps not so little. And the narrative is a lovely little bit of your life. Well, six hundred dollars in coins is a bit boggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are small. about 3 x 4 or 3 x 5. it was a lot of coffee cans and plastic food containers. I had to have a cart to load them all up in from the car and they were heavy. the coin machine kept telling me to pause to let it catch up.

      Delete
  9. I bought lunch for a Gen Z student and paid in cash. She asked me, very perplexed, why I didn't use a credit or cash app. "Cash doesn't use electricity" I replied. Kind of true. Paper money and coins do not require electricity to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, when it all comes crashing down and there's no internet only us old fogies will be able to buy anything.

      Delete
  10. I bought lunch for a Gen Z student and paid in cash. She asked me, very perplexed, why I didn't use a credit or cash app. "Cash doesn't use electricity" I replied. Kind of true. Paper money and coins do not require electricity to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Economics can be challenging. I'm the one that set up my own Financial Future and helped my Parents with theirs. So, it was a Natural really for me to become a Banker and then a Bank Executive, it was something that didn't surprise my Parents at all, even tho' I was weak in Math, if you converted it to Money, I was like a Savant. *LOL* So great that your Family taught you well in the area of Economics. So many people don't have a good Financial IQ and it leads to troubles. In my first Corporate Life I ran Collections, Foreclosures and Bankruptcies for major Financial Institutions... so I often Debt Counseled those in huge financial crisis. Most of the time the mistakes were avoidable. And what your Mom taught you is so true in so many relationships, whoever controls the Money has control of the people who don't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even imagine $600 worth of coins. That's a lot of change!!

    Advising you to keep your own "escape fund" was wise. I think that's why a lot of women back in the mid-century and earlier kept "pin money," or whatever they called it -- a household cash fund. It enabled them to make purchases and yes, escape if need be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the escape fund was to be kept secret, separate from a household fund that let women make necessary purchases while the husband was at work. Marc knows about it now but for years he didn't.

      Delete
  13. That is a serious yield from coin jars! We keep our loose change (not that we have much of it since we barely use cash) in a purse in the glove compartment, where it is handy for purchases at roadside stands and the like, where cash is the only medium of commerce. I hadn’t realized that those machine that take your coins and return bills charged a commission and 12% seems excessive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it used to be 10 percent and I thought that was excessive so I would take my accumulated coins to the bank to dump in their coin counting machine as they only charged 3%. but then when I called them about all that change they said they no longer had to coin counting machine so I had to take it all to the grocery store and use that one. I was a little shocked that they had upped the percentage but it was that or nothing.

      Delete
  14. I remember my first job was babysitting in my neighborhood when I was in high school. I got 50 cents an hour - no matter how many children the family might have! I have always been a good saver, tho some might call me cheap! .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one baby sitting job when I was 13 I think for a neighbor down the road. I tried to stay awake but it was late when they returned and I had fallen asleep. they were pissed. I couldn't understand why because if they had been home they would have gone to bed already and been asleep if one of the kids cried out.

      Delete
  15. I do remember not getting a credit card in my name and now I think how very, very, very, ugly. I have a plastic container with change that I need to sort that has come out of my husbands pockets into the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. especially since they hand them out like candy at Halloween now.

      Delete
  16. When I filed for divorce, our accounts were frozen/every purchase, even taxes, was scrutinized. I would gather up any change I could find and take it to the change counter at the market. Those trips added up, and gave the kids and me some money when we didn't have any.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny the things we remember, counting the change as a family. It probably felt like a moment of connection, which may be why the memory stays. My father told me to always have my own money, to be financially independent, he said he didn't want me ever to be dependent on "some man."

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Christmas coinery! My little sister Karen and I (me in Grade 3, her in Grade 1) would take possession of my uncle's tobacco tin filled with change, and we'd use that money to buy gifts for everyone in the extended family. It was an annual event to receive that change from him, and created a love, in we two little girls, for gift-giving. Thank you for the reminder! I had forgotten all about that. -Kate

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.