Wednesday, November 15, 2023

who will help me bury the bodies now?




I am bereft. I am bereaved. The last person who has known me my whole life is gone. My sister, the person who knew all my secrets, the person who suffered and endured the same upbringing as me, the person who showed me how to wear a menstrual pad, who showed me how to hook stockings onto a garter belt, the person who never shamed me no matter what I had done, who became a second mother and grandmother to my kids and grandkids, the person who would help me bury the body, my best friend is gone.

Last Sunday in the early morning my sister suffered an ischemic stroke in a large vessel in her brain accompanied by bleeding. I didn't find her til 6 PM when I went to check on her after her granddaughter alerted us that she had not been able to get hold of her. Her car was in the carport and her house was dark. I found her laying on her back on the floor by her bed breathing raggedly but unresponsive. I called 911, I called my husband, get over here now. I called my daughter. It's bad, I said, really bad. I'm on my way she said. I called her oldest daughter who lives in Albuquerque. It's bad, I said, really bad. I'm on my way, she said. Calls started going out.

Marc was there, the police arrived almost immediately, the EMTS shortly after. Then my daughter arrived. The EMTs bundled up my sister and life flighted her to Memorial Hermann in the Medical Center in Houston, Sarah and I followed in her car. When we got there, the doctor met with us immediately, showed us the picture of her brain half full of blood, swelling and putting pressure on the unaffected half and brain stem, discussed surgical options to relieve that pressure but prognosis would be the same with or without surgery...if, and that was a big if, she survived the event, she would be an invalid with little motor function, perhaps some language ability, and a feeding tube. The doctor assured me that it wouldn't have mattered when I found her, even if it had been 10 minutes later. When they let us back to be with her in the ER, she was in a self induced coma and had been intubated.

Family started trickling in to the hospital, my son from the city, her daughter and husband from Goliad, my granddaughters from San Antonio, my granddaughter from Wharton, her granddaughter from Dallas, her granddaughter, great grandson and husband from San Antonio, her grandson from San Antonio, her granddaughter en route from Cincinnati, our brother en route from the PNW but these last two would not arrive until the next day; during the night all these people converged on the hospital.

They moved her to the neurological ICU and when my daughter and son and I and her daughter and husband got to that wing the waiting room was closed and locked so we just camped out on the floor in the hall outside the ICU while we waited for the nurse to come get us. The nurses broke all the rules and let more than the allowed two visitors at a time to be in the room, never mind that visiting hours had ended long ago but they knew their charge was dying and the family was there. So there was a steady stream of people leaning close and saying their last words, expressing their love and sorrow. When one of the nurses finally noticed the 15 or so people camped out in the hall she got the key and opened the waiting room. I stayed in the room with my sister.

Denise finally arrived at the hospital about 2:30 in the morning. Her arrival was the only thing I was waiting for. The floor doctor had already confirmed that my sister had only one autonomic reaction left and when that went she would be clinically brain dead, however long it took the heart to follow varied. I had medical power of attorney so it was my responsibility and order, my sister had a DNR and I knew her mind so I knew what to do but I wanted both daughters' confirmation which they gave. So when Denise was ready and since everyone was already there and there was no point in letting it go on another minute I told the floor doctor to remove the ventilator and allow nature to take its course. They let the closest family members, about 10 of us, be in the room while they removed the breathing tube and then we waited. They must have known that death was imminent to allow us all in there at one time and so it was. I say it took 10 minutes maybe for blood pressure and heart rate to zero out but really I didn't have much concept of time then. So sometime between 3 and 4 Monday morning, my sister's severely damaged earthly shell stopped functioning.




44 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about Pam. I loved the spirit she showed in her blogging, and I will miss her. Take care, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. This is such a heartbreaking time for the whole family who loved your dear sister. May her memory be for a blessing always. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ellen. No. You have indeed lost your closest dearest friend and sister. My sister-in-law's passing was very similar and I will never forget those last few moments after the machines were unhooked, silenced. My heart goes out to you. That fact that so many family members came to be with her says everything. May you all support each other tenderly. I send you my love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, so very sorry to hear of your loss. Your telling of the whole event is at once, gut wrenching and beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. I know you will miss her terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry for this sad and significant loss. It is good to know so many people were with her, loving her when she passed. You have done an amazing job of writing about such a potent moment, a eulogy to her ability to inspire love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your heartbreaking loss, Ellen. I'm sure she sensed that her beautiful, supportive family was there with her. I'm so sorry for your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellen, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'll miss her blogging about her plants. She was a feisty sweet soul. She will be greatly missed in the blogging sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am crying. So sorry for your loss. What a strong person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is terrible. I am so sorry your sister is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Ellen, I’m in tears reading this. I’m so, so sorry for your loss. You were her champion to the end, and I know the rest of your family will someday be so grateful to have surrounded her in her passing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so very sorry for your loss. Do take comfort that she was surrounded by family when she passed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deeply sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Ellen, so so so sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss, however, what a blessing that you and your sister were so very close. Loving each other right to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry, dear Ellen. Sending my best from Katy. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yours is an enormous loss, Ellen and my heart goes out to you and your family. How gorgeous to have shared so much intimacy, to have truly known, enjoyed and so completely loved one another. I know she will always be with you, as you are with her. With love, Catharine Newell

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Ellen! I am so shocked and dismayed by this news! Your love for her, and hers for you, was so obvious. I so enjoyed her blog; thought it neat "knowing" the two of you. The weekly little trips you'd take together and share your photos. Her personality really came through in her blog. The huge role she played in your life is undeniable. I am glad your family is all there to help sustain one another at such a dreadful time. Heartfelt condolences from North Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ellen, I am so very sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 37paddington: Oh ellen, I am so sorry to hear your beloved sister is gone. I know you were close, and how fortunate it was to have her nearby toward the end. You were wonderful friends to each other, and you did right by her, calling everyone, allowing all the goodbyes to be said, and knowing her wishes and having the courage and love to act on them. She was surrounded by love as she took her last breath, and that is a good way to go. You gave her that. I imagine your heart is ravaged, but oh to have had such a sister as you describe, it was a treasure life gave you both. I am so sorry. I send love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grief is the price we pay for love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sending you hugs. I remember leaving the funeral home after my sister's "showing" and wanting to run back in just tokiss her forehead one last time, my mind screaming, "don't leave me" . My heart is braking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so so sorry! The death of a sister is a pain all its own and leaves a hole in the fabric of your life unlike any other.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I arrived here via Mary's blog. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never commented here, Ellen....but my heart goes out to you and your family at your tremendous loss. May love be with you all during this difficult time. Words can only offer *so* much comfort.....but my heart goes out to you all
    Susan M/ Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry Pam left you. I imagine she is, too. You were sisters together, like my sister and me. So good the family could gather, though for such a terrible reason. I am so sorry. Love from Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so so sorry. You did good, real good. The compassionate choice all along the way. She was so lucky to have you there. Be easy on yourself now. Rebecca Loudon

    ReplyDelete
  27. How heartbreaking for you. I am so sorry. Sending hugs and please take care.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Ellen,my deepest heartfelt condolances to you and your family.Pam was one of a kind and I feel fortunate to have met her. Thank you for sharing this personal moment that helps put perspective in all our lives. Hugs and more hugs
    Starr

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Ellen. Your post made me cry. My sister is having a biopsy tomorrow, but the doctor thinks he knows already. Your post echoes my worst fears. My condolences on your devastating loss.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So sorry - the loss is great. It was so beautiful that she was able to move so close in the last couple of years and that you were all together in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pam has been such a presence here, on your blog. We feel we knew her, Ellen’s sister , hand in hand doing good works and being fun. Sorrow for your loss. It’s a loss that will be always felt forevermore. So devastatingly sad. Times like this I wish we believed in heaven…so sorry, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. May her memory be a blessing. (I will be away from my blog for the next two weeks but will get back on board after that).

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so sorry for you loss. My mum died the same way, massive stroke that took out one hemisphere. She slipped away peacefully. I'm glad your sister's family was there to say goodbye to her.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ellen, as I said on Facebook, I'm so sorry about this loss. I can't imagine what it feels like to lose a sibling, especially one so close to you. I'm glad the doctor made clear you couldn't have done anything even if you'd found her more quickly. And it's great that the family could be with her when she breathed her last. My deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad you were all together to comfort each other. Loving memories of your dear sister will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Pam was a great person and I loved getting to know her the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Reading your account of events brought tears. It's good that the whole family could gather, and good that you had such support. Although I never had a sibling, it's been clear over the years how close you and Pam were. I'm so sorry for your loss, and for the gaping hole that's now left.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Im so very sorry for this devastating loss. Sending love to all who loved her.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  39. My condolences to you and your family

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.