Monday, August 28, 2023

trees and ants and meds


A couple of the commenters on my last post offered suggestions on watering my pecan trees and they both had one thing in common, placing the source of water at the bottom of the trunk. The problem with that, according to the certified arborist that spoke at one of the EarthLabs, is that there aren't any feeder roots at the base of the tree, just the big artery roots. The small feeder roots are spread out under the canopy and only in the top 15” - 18” of ground.

Using a search engine to further clarify, one site says the critical watering zone is two thirds of the height of the tree away from the trunk with a soaker hose spread around the tree or a sprinkler or just letting the water run or a 5 gallon bucket with holes in the bottom for small newly planted trees.

I looked at several sites and they all say basically the same. I use either a sprinkler on low that throws a circle of water out about 4' or 5' in diameter but not up in the air or just turn the hose on low flow and let it run under the canopy, usually about 10' – 15' away from the trunk, which is what I'm doing this Sunday morning because I only have one sprinkler and I'm using it elsewhere. The birds, btw, are loving the sprinkler. They dart in and out of the spray, hang out on whatever plant or shrub.

My trees are mature, 25” - 35” diameters. Two of them are on either side of the septic drain field so I figure they are getting some water from that. The third does not and it seems to be the one that's dropping the most green pecans though the other two are as well. I've filled the 5 gallon bucket from the previous post to the rim and am starting on another.

Sunday the ants were on the kitchen counter when we got up, seemed to be ignoring the bait trap but by mid morning they were gone for the day at least. I located an area in the upper cabinet to seal and did that. Today, Monday they were back on the kitchen counter ignoring the bait trap so I followed their trail and dammit all to hell, they were coming in and out of the third prong hole from the outlet the coffee pot and grinder are plugged into, neither of which have that third prong. The little faces look dismayed do they not? 

How the fuck do I stop that up? I put a piece of tape over it. Speak no evil, especially ants.



Friday I spent a good deal of time on the phone trying to get meds straightened out. August 20 I renewed my two meds for the afib, sotolol and eliquis. A few days later I got an email that their pharmacist was holding up the eliquis and they had tried to reach my doctor to no avail but my other scrip was on it's way only they sent out the larger dose instead of the one I ordered. Three phone calls from me to the online pharmacy and one to my doctor's office and two return calls from his nurse who also called the online pharmacy and it was finally straightened out and the eliquis is on it's way. But while I had the nurse on the phone I told her I didn't think the lower dose of the sotolol the doctor put me on 3 months ago was doing the job, that I was having way more frequent and sometimes long breakthrough episodes. She told me to go back on the larger dose since I tolerated it well, that the doctor had lowered the dose because he thought I had complained about not having any energy (which I think he probably must have misunderstood something I said, maybe confusing motivation with energy, because he did say something about more energy), and I remember telling my husband when I got home that more energy was the last thing I needed. And then, of course, the heat dome came and sat on us and that was the end of any energy.

P.S. I'm trying to be better about replying to comments which you may or may not have noticed.

One last little observation. White wing doves, when they sit on a branch looking down, look like miniature vultures. 



14 comments:

  1. Goodness but you’re having a time of it with the ants, not to mention the pecan problems. We’ve been spared until yesterday, when I discovered black ants on the countertops near the stove. Two of them. The okra and tomatoes both failed miserably. The only things that did well were the crepe myrtles and jasmine. Our grass finally failed—the backyard is the color of the Saharan desert and is as crunchy as rice crispies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my tomatoes did OK but my two okra plants, I might even not have bothered. and yeah grass is brown and crunchy everywhere it's in the sun

      Delete
  2. https://www.theorganicprepper.com/ants-in-the-garden/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when we first arrived in the small tropical African country where we lived for a couple of years and I was determined to handle all the insects - various types of ants, massive spiders, cockroaches of course and so much more - without chemicals. I would sweep and brush the place morning and evening, clear the cupboards regularly, wipe armies of ants off the washing line and so on, I used sugar traps and spices and water traps around the table legs and anything I had read about before we came (long before internet was invented). My neighbours watched me for a bit, had a good laugh and eventually donated a spray can of deadly chemicals, from some obscure source but apparently they all used that stuff. So yes, that's what I did from then on.
    Here, I pour boiling water down the ant holes outside. I have killed entire nations, very bad karma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my ant problem is miniscule compared to that! outdoors I use Dawn dish soap and orange oil mixed in a 5 gallon bucket and treat the mounds with that and it kills the fuck out of them. I've used boiling water but it's a lot more trouble.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Ellen. You're having a rough time. I am so sorry. I really hope that you'll be able to save your pecans. And those ants- you might have to get a professional because they are going to find a way to get in no matter how many times you block them.
    And your meds- what a hassle there. I hope it's all straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not really an infestation, just from the heat and drought. anyway, I think I've got them on the run.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you might want to tent your house and release some deadly stuff!!! Like for termites. We had a hell of a time getting rid of fleas. Two episodes of fogging the house and too many flea baths to count for the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not an infestation, just incursions so doesn't warrant tenting the house which would only be a drastic last choice as it would kill everything including the geckos and anoles.

      Delete
  6. I have no advice for the ants, Ellen. I spray some chemical around the outside and also on the inside in the basement. Seems to be working as I haven't seen any this year. I think you don't want to use chemicals tho...
    I just started Eliquis a couple of weeks ago after I had to spend 4 days in the hospital due to an Afib event (my first ambulance ride!) My heart when back in rhythm on its own so hopefully it will stay that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am semi amused at the little bastards working out a path through the thirds prong hole of the electrical outlets. I wonder what would happen to connectivity if you used a straw to blow cinnamon down that yellow brick road.
    I can only pray for pecan karma for you; I know nothing of their horticulture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those ants are nothing if not ingenious - kind of like humans sticking their nose in where they’re not wanted. Nah, humans do a much better job of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for your troubles, but I had to laugh at the "speak no evil" outlets - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Until you mentioned the outlets, I'd forgotten that ants love electricity. Occasionally I've seen them fill up those big electrical boxes, and sometimes they've been mounded up under the place where electric meters are attached. You might look around the outside of your house and see if you have some electricity-related places where they're gathering, and then following wires into the house. It would be a whole lot easier to treat them outside with the kind of 'discouragement' that comes in a can!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.