Tuesday, August 22, 2023

quilt do and re-do, ants, fingers crossed for rain


Jade has been here the past several days to work on refurbishing her quilt. 



You might remember that a while back we freed the intact quilt top from the torn backing and batting. She found a cotton tablecloth at a resale shop that had the same colors as her quilt top that she thought was big enough for the backing. So on Friday we started to put it all back together only the tablecloth was not big enough so we used the part of the old backing to cut two 6” panels adding one to each side and a narrow strip across the bottom. Very patchwork which I guess is apropos. Yesterday we taped the backing to the floor, spread out the batting and cut it to size, spread the quilt top on top of that and pinned it all together. Then I started sewing the three pieces together around the edges, got two sides done before we quit for the day. 


Sunday I finished sewing the three layers together and then the bias tape binding on three sides. When I laid it out to pin the tape on the last side it became apparent that our calculations on the size needed for the back and the batting was short by about 1 1/2” on the width and about 3” on the length. How the fuck did I miscalculate so badly? We started out by taping the top to the floor and measuring it. So the top is bigger than the bottom which is going to make quilting it a pain in the ass. My anal and perfectionist self wants to take it apart and start all over. When first made we didn't quilt it, I just sewed knots on a 5” square grid which worked fine until a boy and his dog moved into Jade's room at home after she left for collage (my daughter had a habit of taking in stray kids) and didn't take her quilt with her. The boy and the dog loved her quilt though, loved it to pieces so this time it really needs to be quilted.

Edit: When Jade arrived Monday I told her that since the top was 2+” longer than the bottom we should probably take it apart and add on to the back because otherwise when it was quilted it would probably pleat the top. She told me she dreamed last night that I was going to want to take it apart. I guess she knows me. So of course we did. Not perfect but better. Today I'll sew the bias tape binding on the edges and we'll call it done. Much easier to make a quilt than to take one apart that has been used and washed and apparently shrunk a bit from use and try to remake it.

Still having ants in the house. Saturday they were trying to come in under the threshold of the door to the garage so I laid a line of cinnamon along there. It's a good thing I bought the big jar at Costco. And Sunday they were on the stove and a small trail heading under the refrigerator. Killed those with the orange oil spray, the house smells like oranges and cinnamon. There was an article in the Saturday Chronicle about ants invading people's homes so I'm not the only one being plagued by them. Seems to be a common problem from the heat and drought. Their recommendation on dealing with the ants? Seal up the places where they're getting in. Gee, that never occurred to me. Monday and so far today we are ant free.

Now that I'm having to water my pecan trees in the hope that it will stop the trees from dropping the green pecans I'm sacrificing some of the stuff that I can't seem to water enough anyway. I've cut back all the white butterfly ginger, the coral butterfly ginger whose growing tips have turned brown and dry since they won't grow anymore or bloom (the rest will probably go soon), pulled out the zinnias, cut back the toad lily growth as it was all dying anyway. Haven't cut back the yellow butterfly ginger yet though I imagine I will in the coming days as they are starting to suffer and only a couple look like they are putting out bloom buds and they should have started blooming last June anyway. The leaves on the pink plumeria planted in the ground that gets the most sun are getting sunburned and turning yellow even though I water it every day. AccuWeather is still predicting rain for today and it is overcast from the tropical storm Harrold which is right now pounding Corpus Christi and Rockport, two or three hours down the coast from us. Whoa! It's raining, a quick little downburst of hard rain lasted less than 10 minutes but hopefully just the first of many today.



------------

Another MAGAt has responded to the republican hate machine against LGBTQI+ and calls for violence and murdered a woman in California, a shop owner and mother of 9 kids, because he didn't like her pride flag out front, was carrying a gun, and wasn't content with just venting his spleen vocally. The armed suspect fired on police and was killed when they attempted to apprehend him.

And former Trump Lawyer Jenna Ellis, also indicted in Georgia, is shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that Trump won't be paying her legal bills. I find that kind of hilarious. I mean, come on, Trump isn't even paying his own legal bills. That money is coming from the chumps who donate to his campaign.



21 comments:

  1. Reading about your ant situation makes me all itchy. We have a plague of what is called amber cockroaches or wood cockroaches, which, as we are repeatedly reassured, are not really cockroaches, not interested in humans or our food storage, just curious when there's a light source. They are new to the neighbourhood, slowly moving further north thanks to climate change. A local insect expert referred to them as the vegan hippies of the insect world. I expect, their less benign relatives will follow, this is the shape of things to come.
    I admire your dedication with the quilt. If anything, you are a very good grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dedication...a much nicer word than anal, picky, or perfectionist.

      All creatures are on the move. we're being invaded by white wing doves driving out the less aggressive mourning doves. we had a pretty severe drought about a decade ago but didn't have any problems with ants coming in so it must be a combination of drought and excessive heat.

      Delete
  2. If patience really is a virtue You are the most virtuous person in blogland! Good think you did not have a flight to catch. The quilt will last the rest of her life I suppose, given climate change .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's very happy with it it even if i did make us take it apart for minimal improvement. I don't know if I'm patient or just single minded focus when I'm working on something. I don't care how long it takes to get it right.

      Delete
  3. You will get to the end of this quilt project and Jade will keep it safe from boyfriends and dogs. It is a monumental lesson in doing it to last the first time. Jade is learning a lot and probably will put it all to even more use in the future. I like the part about disassembling the remnants of the old quilt.
    I hope your pecan project is successful. That's quite a downpour there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we finished last night. taking it apart the second time only provided minimal improvement. it will be in Janice's hands to figure out how to quilt the puffy mess.

      we got less than ½" of rain all day but even that little bit was welcome if for no other reason than to see water falling from the sky again.

      Delete
  4. Ah, ha! There's the answer to my wondering -- you did get some rain, too. I noticed today that the cypress trees I thought were going to be ball-less this year are actually putting them on. I hope your pecans can hang on and do something for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. less than ½" combined over three little showers. but better than nothing and it was wonderful to see it rain! I just picked up a gallon bucketful of dropped pecans under just one tree. it's furthest from the drain field and gets less water so I hope the other two are faring better.

      Delete
  5. My wife, a quilter, sometimes buys an old quilt at a thrift store, takes it apart, and reassembles the salvageable panels to make something smaller. In fact several people have asked her to do this with quilts that have been in their family for many years. As for the Trump entourage, they must be true idiots if they didn’t realize that Trump would throw them under the bus at some point. It would be the most delicious irony of all if Rudy Giuliani was assigned a court-appointed lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the quilt top was undamaged so we just had to provide new backing and batting.

      Giuliani asked Trump to help him with lawyer fees some months back and Trump refused but I read this morning that Trump is going to hold a $100,000 a plate dinner to benefit Giuliani. I wonder how many people are going to come across with that.

      Delete
  6. Glad you were ant-free at the time of your writing. I'm about to rain ants down upon my head, but I'm surprised we haven't had more issues with them. Our house is NOT sealed very well. Maybe they don't like stink bugs either.

    Can't wait to see the final quilt - I think the table-cloth matches quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did I put a hyphen in tablecloth? Sometimes my brain is just weird.

      Delete
    2. it looks good and Jade is really happy with it. Joanne's sister is going to quilt it for us.

      Delete
  7. I guess we've all been wondering/hoping if you'd get some rain. I just said as much to Glen last night- I hope Ellen gets some rain!
    I swear- I could have identified your granddaughter as your granddaughter from that picture alone. There's just something so you about her. You sure are a good grandma to help her fix her quilt.
    The squirrels here are doing what they always do this time of year which is to pick the not-quite-ripe pecans, take a bite, and threw them on the metal shed roof. It's like little bombs going off all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. less than ½" from three little showers combined. sure wish we had gotten more but it was nice to see and smell water falling from the sky again.

      I'm glad we could remake Jade's quilt. it was such a big project back when she was 15 when she designed it and picked out the fabric and did all the work, cutting out the pieces and pinning them together in the right order, etc, except for the stitching. and now she will have it again.

      I just picked up a gallon bucket full of dropped pecans, not squirrel chewed, from under just one tree. I knew it had been dropping pecans but I was a little alarmed by how many. hopefully this bit of rain and the continued watering of the trees will stop it.

      Delete
  8. I took apart my daughter's quilt a while back and I was happy with the way it turned out. I hand quilted it while watching TV - using a hoop to move from square to square. I had felt templates of hearts and circles to pin in place and I stitched around them. I told her it was kisses and hugs.
    I was wondering about the bad storm heading your way. Glad it wasn't a damaging storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do anything and watch TV at the same time because I have to have subtitles to understand what is being said unless the volume is at blast level. not that I have to read the dialog exclusively, it's sort of a fusion of reading and hearing. that's very sweet the way you quilted your daughter's quilt with hugs and kisses. and we only got less than a half inch of rain but it was nice to see water falling out of the sky again.

      Delete
  9. I can see why you took apart the quilt. How frustrating! Glad you got some rain, even if not quite enough. THANK YOU, by the way, for all that information in your comment on my blog about ginger and what might be causing its leaves to curl. I think it's headed for the bin but it's good to know that it's probably not my fault! (I'm blaming the bacteria.)

    Also THANK YOU for putting me onto Jeff Tiedrich in one of your past posts. I get such a kick out of his blog. (I saw his Jenna Ellis post!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome on both counts. Jeff Tiedrich just cracks me up.

      I planted a piece of ginger root from the store that had started to sprout but it was in winter and even though it was in the house with all the other little plants I bring in it grew a little, then died.

      Delete
  10. Wow! That deserves an instruction manual all to itself. The detail! The sense of purpose! A dim memory is conjured up. In the distant days of primitive motorbikes my two-stroke blew a cylinder-head gasket. I stopped at a filling station and bought a small sheet of gasket material (Imagine asking for that these days). Also borrowed a pair of scissors which I subsequently wrecked. Fashioned myself a new gasket (imagine getting the circular hole in the middle accurate), installed it. It worked. But your activity puts mine to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I rarely have flies but yesterday I had two and managed to shoo them out a window. The day prior, I dozed off with phone in hand, a fly landed on the screen, and when I woke up I thought it was a fly icon on the screen and pressed it and freaked out the both of us.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.